時長:5:07
中英文字幕視頻&音頻
■ 視頻,圖片均源於網絡,文字來自視頻,純屬分享學習。如有侵權立即刪除
📃 文本
You're probably familiar with FOMO.
你一定了解 「錯失恐懼症」(FOMO)這個詞語。
[This guy invented the term]
【是他發明了這個專有名詞】
That's short for "Fear Of Missing Out."
FOMO 即 「錯失恐懼症」 (fear of missing out)。
It's that feeling you get
即,你會有種感覺——
when it seems everyone else is doing something better
其他人在做的事
than what you're doing now.
看上去都比你的厲害。
But there's another FO you need to know about,
可其實還有一個 以 FO 開頭的恐懼症,
and it's far more dangerous.
比 FOMO 更危險——
It's called FOBO,
它是「更佳選擇恐懼症」。
and it's short for "Fear Of a Better Option."
即 FOBO (fear of a better option)。
[The Way We Work]
【我們的工作方式】
We live in a world of overwhelming choice.
這世上到處都有「重大抉擇」。
Even decisions that used to be simple,
甚至有些在過去很簡單的選擇,
like choosing a restaurant or making everyday purchases,
比如去哪吃飯、買啥東西,
are now fraught with overanalysis.
可是現在連這些選擇 都得仔細斟酌。
Technology has only made the issue more pronounced.
而科技只是讓這一切變得更為明顯。
If you want to buy a pair of white shoelaces online,
如果你要網購兩根白色鞋帶,
you have to sort through thousands of items
你就得在幾千個白色鞋帶中 精挑細選,
and read through hundreds of reviews.
還得翻看上百條買家評論。
That's an astounding amount of information to process
信息量之大真是令人震驚,
to just buy two pieces of string that cost less than your morning latte.
而這一切,只是為了 比一杯拿鐵還便宜的兩根繩子。
Chances are you've experienced FOBO when you've struggled
當你面對若干個完全可行的選項之時,
to choose just one from a group of perfectly acceptable outcomes.
若你為選擇最佳方案而苦苦糾結, 那你可能已被 FOBO 找上門。
It's a symptom of a culture which sees value
如果一種文化 鼓勵人們擁有並保留儘可能多的選擇,
in collecting and preserving as many options as possible.
這種文化就會催生 FOBO 。
You might wonder why all of this is so bad.
你可能會問:這有什麼不好的?
It seems counterintuitive.
這很有違常理啊?
Shouldn't it be a privilege to have so many good options
能從那麼多好的選擇中 作出抉擇,
to choose from?
不是一件好事嗎?
The problem is, FOBO induces such severe analysis paralysis
問題就在於 FOBO 會讓你 過於認真地思考問題,
that it can negatively impact both your personal and professional life.
這種過度認真會對你的生活和工作 產生負面影響。
When you can't make decisions with conviction,
你的猶豫不決
you waste precious time and energy.
會浪費你寶貴的時間與精力。
Luckily, there is a way to overcome FOBO.
幸好 FOBO 是可以被克服的。
Here's a secret.
秘訣如下。
With any decision you make, you first have to determine the stakes,
在做出每一個決定前, 你都要確定該選項的風險大小,
as this will inform your decision-making strategy.
這樣你也能因此制定抉擇策略。
When it comes down to it,
確定風險之後,
you only really face three types of decisions in life:
留下的就只有三類決定:
high stakes, low stakes and no stakes.
高風險、低風險,和無風險。
Let's start with no-stakes decisions.
首先來看無風險選項。
These are the minor details of life,
生活中有些細節
where there is almost never an incorrect answer,
永遠沒有正確答案,
and in a few hours, you won't even remember
幾小時後,你甚至不會記得
making the decision.
你做出了這個決定。
A good example of this is choosing what to watch on TV.
對電視節目的選擇 就是一個很好的例子。
With thousands of shows, it's easy to get overwhelmed,
電視節目成千上萬, 足以讓你迷失其中,
yet no matter what you pick,
但不管你選擇哪個節目
the consequences are basically nonexistent.
都不會有什麼後果。
So spending more than a few moments on FOBO
所以,在這種問題上花太多時間
is a massive waste of energy.
就是對精力的巨大浪費。
You just need to move on.
你只需要做完了事就好。
When it comes to no-stakes decisions,
無風險決定的關鍵
the key is to outsource them to the universe.
在於聽天由命。
For example, you can whittle down your choices to just two
比如你可以將結果精簡為兩種,
and then flip a coin.
然後擲硬幣。
Or try my personal favorite -- ask the watch.
或者像我一樣——問手錶。
Assign each one of your choices to one half of your watch,
將你的選擇分配到手錶的兩個半面,
then let the second hand tell you what you're going to do.
秒針走在哪個半面, 你就選哪個——
Looks like I'll be having the fish.
看樣子我得吃魚。
That brings us to low-stakes decisions.
現在來看看低風險選項。
These have consequences, but none are earth-shattering,
這些決定會有後果, 但後果不嚴重。
and there are plenty of acceptable outcomes.
這些選項的結果大多可以接受。
Many routine things at work, like purchasing a printer,
很多生活中的日常, 比如買哪臺印表機?
booking a hotel or choosing between possible venues for an off-site
訂哪個酒店?去哪裡出差?
are classically low-stakes in nature.
這些在本質上都是低風險決定。
Some thinking is required,
這些決定需要你做出思考,
but these aren't make-or-break deliberations,
但就算做錯也沒啥大不了,
and you'll probably forget about them in a few weeks.
你過幾周可能就會忘記此事。
Here, you can also outsource decision-making,
你也可以再玩一次」聽天由命「,
but you want some critical thinking involved,
但因為畢竟風險還是存在的,
as there are some stakes.
所以你會想要認真思考一番。
This time, you'll outsource to a person.
這一次 你可以聽」人「由命。
Set some basic criteria,
先設下一些基本標準,
select someone to present a recommendation,
然後請他人提出建議,
and then take their advice.
並聽從這些建議。
Make sure to avoid the temptation to canvass.
你千萬不要遊說他人,
Your goal is to clear your plate,
因為你的目的是解決問題,
not to kick the can down the road.
而不是製造問題。
Now that you tackled low-stakes and no-stakes decisions,
現在你把無風險和低風險選項 都解決了,
you've created the space and time you'll need
你已經把時間和空間都
to handle high-stakes decisions.
騰給了高風險選項。
These are things like "which house should I buy"
你免不了會遇到 「在哪裡買房?」
or "which job should I accept."
「去哪裡工作?」等問題。
Since the stakes are high and there are long-term implications,
因為風險高 意味著它對你有著長遠的影響,
you absolutely want to get it right.
於是你必定想做出正確決定。
Before we get to work, let's establish a few basic principles
開始之前, 我們先確立一些基本原則,
to guide you through the process.
來指導你做出正確決定的流程。
First, think about what really matters to you,
其一,想想什麼對你來說真正重要,
and set your criteria accordingly.
並依此設定選擇標準。
Second, gather the relevant facts.
其二,收集相關事實。
Make sure you collect data about all of the options,
確保你對所有選擇都了如指掌,
so you can be confident
這樣你就能確信
that you're truly making an informed decision.
你的決定的確是基於事實的。
And third, remember that FOBO, by nature,
其三,記住 FOBO
comes when you struggle to choose just one
會在你面對若干個完全可行的選擇
from a group of perfectly acceptable options.
而你只能選擇其中一個時 才會出現。
So no matter what you choose,
所以不論你選哪個,
you can rest assured that the downside is limited.
你都可以放心, 因為每個選項的不利因素是有限的。
Now that you've established some ground rules,
現在一些基本原則已被確立,
the process can begin.
你可以開始選擇了。
Start by identifying a front-runner based on your intuition,
首先憑直覺選出一個最佳選項,
then compare each of your options head-to-head
然後將其他選項與該最佳選項進行
with the front-runner, one-by-one.
逐一的、一對一比較。
Each time, choose the better of the two based on the criteria,
每次比較均須根據選擇標準, 從兩個選項中選出一個
and discard the other one.
並淘汰另外一個。
Here's the trick to avoiding FOBO.
這裡有一個避開 FOBO 的秘訣:
When you eliminate an option, it's gone forever.
不要讓已被淘汰的選項再次出現。
If you keep returning to discarded options,
如果你不停地「復活」淘汰選項,
you risk getting stuck.
你將陷入糾結之中。
Now repeat this process until you get down to one final choice.
重複剛才的步驟, 直到你得出最終選擇。
If you follow this system,
如果你遵循這一流程,
you will usually end up with a decision on your own.
你通常能 得出自己的結論、作出自己的選擇。
On the rare occasion that you get stuck,
除非你遇到的情況相當罕見,
you will outsource the final decision
如果是這樣, 你就得把最終決定權
to a small group of qualified people who you trust
交由一群可靠的、你信任的人,
and who are equipped to provide you with guidance
這些人還需要有能力就此話題
on this particular topic.
向你提供意見。
Engage a group of five or less, ideally an odd number of people
人數不要超過 5 位,最好是奇數位,
so that you have a built-in tiebreaker if you need it.
因為一旦出現平票狀況, 就會有人一錘定音。
Now that you've made your choice, one last challenge remains.
現在你已經做出了選擇, 但還剩下一個挑戰——
You have to commit.
就是執行這一選擇。
I can't promise you that you'll ever truly know if you've made the perfect decision,
我不能保證你的選擇一定是完美的
but I can tell you this:
但我可以告訴你
a significant percentage of people in the world
這世界上將有一大部分人
will never have to worry about FOBO.
可以告別 FOBO 的煩擾。
Unlike the billions of people who have few options, if any,
還有成萬上億的人可能 沒有什麼選擇,
due to war, poverty or illness,
因為他們被戰爭、貧窮, 或疾病所困擾。
you have plentiful opportunities to live decisively.
但與他們不同的是, 你有很多機會來做出抉擇,
You may not get everything you want,
雖然並非你的所有願望 都能得以滿足。
but the mere fact you get to decide is powerful.
但決定權本身已能讓你十分強大。
In fact, it's a gift.
其實,決定權是一份饋贈。
Make the most of it.
請充分使用!