作者:小雅和英美友人
粽子-小雅女兒和美國朋友語音示範
02:55來自你和寶寶說英語
◆ 端午節、粽子,怎麼翻譯最地道?◆ 解繩、剝開葉子,如何表達?◆ 棗和蘋果的「核」,英文是同一個詞嗎?
Eating Zongzi 吃粽子
Mom: Today is the Dragon Boat Festival.
媽媽:今天是端午節。
Dragon Boat Festival是最廣泛使用的「端午節」的翻譯,龍舟大賽在西方國家也很受歡迎,很多老外也會參賽。
Let's eat some zongzi.
咱們吃點粽子吧。
隨著粽子被世界上越來越多的人知道,漢語拼音是目前「粽子」的最常用翻譯。Rice dumpling、sticky rice dumpling也常常被用到,但它們也可以指其他米、粘米做的點心。
Child: Hurray! I love zongzi.
寶寶:太棒了!我喜歡粽子。
Mom: Let's work on steaming them.
媽媽:咱們把它們蒸一下吧。
They're nearly ready;
它們是半成品;
we just need to place them in the steamer.
咱們只需要放蒸鍋裡蒸一下。
This way the rice and filling become sticky and fresh.
這樣米和餡兒就又粘又鮮了。
Child: Oooohhh, can I drop them in?
寶寶:哦,我能負責放嗎?
Mom: Sure, but be gentle with them.
媽媽:當然,但是要輕一點。
We're putting them on the steamer rack.
咱們把它們放到蒸鍋的屜上。
Here, I'll hand them to you as you place them in the steamer.
來,我遞給你,你往蒸鍋裡放。
Child: Okay. How long do they have to steam?
寶寶:好的。需要蒸多長時間啊?
Steam既可以做及物動詞「蒸某物」,也可以做不及物動詞「某物冒蒸汽」。
Mom: We'll let the water boil and steam them for only 10 minutes
媽媽:開鍋以後蒸10分鐘就行了,
since they're already cooked.
因為它們已經是熟的了。
If they're frozen
如果它們是冷凍的,
we need 10 more minutes.
需要多蒸10分鐘。
(zongzi finishes steaming)
(粽子蒸好了)
Mom: Now, I'll pull them out and let them cool.
媽媽:現在我把它們拿出來涼會兒。
Child: I can blow on them to help them cool off!
寶寶:我可以吹一吹,能涼得快一點!
I can't wait!
我等不及了。
Mom: Yeah, that would be helpful.
媽媽:嗯,管點兒用。
Let's have something to drink while we wait.
咱們等的時候喝點東西吧。
Happy Dragon Boat Festival!
端午節快樂!
Child: Cheers!
寶寶:乾杯!
(zongzi cools)
(粽子涼了)
Mom: Let's unwrap them now.
媽媽:咱們現在把它們剝開吧。
Untie the string
把繩兒解開,
and unwrap the leaves.
把葉子剝開。
Child: Like this?
寶寶:這樣嗎?
Mom: Good work!
媽媽:真棒!
Let's try some.
咱們吃吧。
Child: They look so yummy!
寶寶:看起來很美味!
What shall we try first?
咱們先吃哪種?
Mom: The red date zongzi is sweet,
媽媽:紅棗粽子是甜的,
and the pork one is savory.
肉粽是鹹口的。
Savory是鹹口的,讀作 [seivri],salty是鹹的。
Child: Let's try the sweet one first.
寶寶:咱們先吃甜的吧。
I love red dates!
我喜歡紅棗!
So good!
真好吃!
May I have another one, please?
我能再來一個嗎?
Mom: Yes, you may.
媽媽:嗯,可以的。
Child: Thank you.
寶寶:謝謝。
Mom: Don't forget to spit the pit out.
媽媽:別忘了吐核。
桃子、棗等的核叫pit,英式英語也稱之為stone,蘋果、梨等的核叫core。
You don't want to swallow that!
你可別把它咽了!
Then a date would grow inside of you!
你肚子裡該長棗了!
Child: I know you're joking.
寶寶:我知道你在開玩笑。
Mom: Let's try the savory one now.
媽媽:現在試試鹹口的。
They're very common in the south.
它們在南方很常見的。
Child: I don't like fatty meat.
寶寶:我不喜歡肥肉。
Mom: Fatty pork gives it the best flavor!
媽媽:肥豬肉才能讓它美味呢!
Just try it.
試試。
It is very flavorful.
很美味的。
Both lean meat and fatty meat are good for you,
瘦肉肥肉都對你有好處,
so you shouldn't be picky.
所以你不能挑食。
Child: (eats pork zongzi)
寶寶:(吃肉粽)
Hmmm... actually, I think you are right, Mommy.
嗯……其實,我覺得你說得對,媽媽。
The pork is pretty good too!
鮮肉的也挺好吃的!
Mom: Glad you like it!
媽媽:很高興你喜歡它!
Child: Finished!
寶寶:吃完了!
Mom: Try not to leave any sticky rice on your leaves.
媽媽:儘量別在葉子上留下粘米。
亦可用glutinous rice,但sticky rice更常用。
Child: No more!
寶寶:沒了!
Mom: Uh-oh, looks like you have some rice on your face now.
媽媽:啊哦,現在你臉上有米粒了。
Here's a napkin for you.
給你一張餐巾紙。
中文裡,餐巾紙和面巾紙的概念是混用的,但在英文裡,餐巾紙是napkin,面巾紙是tissue,不能混用。
Don't forget to wash your face and hands after we finish.
吃完之後別忘了洗洗臉和手。