collateral
抵押品
Many people use personal assets as collateral for small business loans.
許多人用個人資產作抵押,辦理小額商業貸款。
We take our home as collateral in order to raise money to invest in the scheme.
我們把房子抵押出去,籌款投資這個方案。
A:Can I borrow five bucks?
能借給我5美元嗎?
B:No!
不行!
A:Come on! I'll pay you back on Tuesday.
拜託!我周二就會還給你。
B:Last time I lent you money, you never paid me back.
上次你借我錢,到現在還沒有還。
A:I promise if you lend me five dollars today, I will repay you in full next week.
我保證我今天借你5美元,我下周一定全部還給你。
B:Ok, but I'm taking your skateboard as collateral.
好吧,我拿你的滑板鞋作為抵押品。
A:Fine! I can't believe you don't trust me.
好吧!我不敢相信你竟然不信任我。
B:It's nothing personal, just business.
這個和個人無關,只是交易。
Can I borrow...?
我能借...嗎?
I'll pay you back.
我會還你的。
I can't believe you don't trust me.
我不敢相信,你居然不信任我。
She gets on well with her mother in law.
她和她的婆婆相處的很好。
Excuse me,is there a restaurant nearby?
打擾了,這附近有飯店嗎?
She speaks with strong accent.
她說話口音很重。
Will you slow down?I can't follow you.
您說話能慢點嗎?我跟不上。
一次一個美國公司的管理人員給公司一個駐外分部發了一份傳真要求對方把職員的人數報上來,他是這麼說的:「I need a head count telling the number of people in your office,broken down by sex」.
在上面的傳真裡,broken down by sex意思是「按照性別分開」。但是分公司的職員並沒有理解其意思。不過,break something/someone down倒是有另一個意思「把某事/某物壓服」。結果,美國公司收到了回復,是這樣說的「Here is your head count.Here we have 35 people in our factory.15 people in our office.five people in the hospital.none broken down by sex(沒有人因為縱慾而壓垮)」
最後,他還加了一句:And if you really must know,our problem down here is alcohol.如果你非要知道,我們這裡的問題是飲酒過度。
在語言環境下,broken down by sex是按照性別分類的意思。美國人一下子就理解的東西在外國人眼裡就成了匪夷所思,可見語言學習還真是麻煩,最好的辦法,當然是不斷積累,還有如果有不懂的東西,一定要問明白。
Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.
行動並非來自思想,而是來自願意承擔責任。
▶主播:Emily
喜馬拉雅外語頻道籤約主播
全網粉絲80W+
每天帶你學習地道口語表達和美式發音技巧
往期回顧
【和Emily一起練口語】What do you prefer?
【和Emily一起練口語】better late than never.
【和Emily一起練口語】pull over.
【和Emily一起練口語】How's your course going?
【和Emily一起練口語】pay off.