It was August eighteenth, and in two days would be thirty years old.
那天是八月十八號,再過兩天我就三十歲了。
was anxious about the new stage of my life,
我為我人生的新階段而感到焦慮,
and worried that my best years were behind me.
也為那些逝去的美好時光而感到擔心。
Every morning I would see my friend Bruce at the gym.
每天早上,我都能在健身房遇見我的朋友布魯斯。
He was seventy-nine years old and in good health.
他今年已經七十九歲高齡,但身體仍然很健康。
As saw Bruce on my birthday,
在我生日那天我又遇到他,
he noticed I wasn't very happy and asked me the reason.
他注意到我很不開心,所以詢問我原因。
I said I was worried about turning thirty.
我告訴他我為自己已經三十歲而感到擔心。
Then I asked him, "When was the best time of your life?
然後我問他:「你一生中最美好的時光是什麼時候?
Bruce said, "Well, Peter, this is my answer to your question:
布魯斯說:「好吧,皮特,這是我要給你的答案:
When I was a child, and my parents loved me,
當我還是孩子時,父母很愛我,
that was the best time of my lite.
那是我一生中最美好的時光。
When I went to school and learnt something new,
當我上學後,學到了很多新東西,
that was the best time of my life.
那是我一生中最美好的時光。
When I got my first job and got paid for my work,
當我找到第一份工作,領到薪金時,
that was the best time of my lite.
那是我一生中最美好的時光。
When I was a young father and watched my children growing up,
當我初為人父,看著孩子們成長,
that was the best time of my life.
那是我一生中最美好的時光。
And now, Peter, I am seventy-nine years old.
皮特,我今年七十九歲了。
I am healthy, feel good and can do what want.
但我仍然身體健康,心情舒暢,能夠做我想做的事。
This is the best time of my life.
這是我一生中最美好的時光。