Do you work or study?
請問,你是工作了,還是在學習呢?
I bet many of you already have a job. Do you sometimes get asked about the work that you do? Do you know common ways to ask about someone's job in English? That’s what we'll cover in this lesson.
我敢說,絕大多數人都已經有工作了。有時間,你會被問到所做的工作嗎?你知道用英文詢問他人工作的常見方式嗎?這就是本節課所會涵蓋到的內容。
What do you do and other ways to ask about someone's job
用What do you do 和其他方式詢問某人的工作
A common question is: What do you do? It’s often said very fast: Whaddya do? A variation is: Can I ask what you do? Or fast: Can I ask whatya do?
常見的詢問對方工作的問題是:What do you do? 說快些,我們可以說成:Whaddya do? 變體是問:Can I ask what you do? 說快些,我們可以說成:Can I ask whatya do?
This second one is a little more polite, because you're asking permission to pose a personal question. In any case, people usually respond and tell you what you want to know. If someone replies and you don't understand their answer, ask for clarification.
第二個詢問的問題要禮貌一些,因為你在尋求他人的同意去詢問對方個人問題。人們通常會回答你,告訴你想要了解的。如果對方回答你了,而你不理解,請讓對方解釋一下。
Listen!
來聽段對話吧!
I'm an English teacher.
我是一名英文老師。
No, I teach English as a second language.
不是的,我教授作為第二語言的英文。
There are other questions you can ask to find out what someone's job is:
當然,我們還可以問一些其他的問題來知曉某個人的工作:
What do you do for a living?
你是靠什麼謀生的?
(Fast) Whaddya do fer a living?
說快些:Whaddya do fer a living?
What kind of work do you do?
你做的是什麼類型的工作?
(Fast) What kindof work do ya do?
說快些:What kindof work do ya do?
What line of work are you in?
你做哪一行的?
(Fast)What lineofwork areyouin?
說快些:What lineofwork areyouin?
Listen!
來聽對話!
What do you do?
你是做什麼工作的?
I work in geriatrics, which means I work with the elderly in a nursing home.
男:我在老年病房工作,也就是說我在療養院與老年人們打交道。
What do you do for a living?
你靠什麼謀生呢?
I'm a software developer.
我是一名軟體開發人員。
How long have you been doing that?
做了多久?
For about 11 years.
大概有11年了。
What line of work are you in?
你做哪一行的?
I worked as an audio engineer.
我做音頻工程師的。
How long have you been doing that?
這行做了多久呢?
It's a side business that I started recently.
這是最近才開始做的副業。
What kind of work do you do?
女:你是做什麼類型的工作的?
How about you? What do you do for a living? What you don't usually ask is: What are you? Or, what is your job? Although grammatically correct, these questions don't sound polite or natural.
你呢?你靠什麼謀生的呢?我們通常不會問:What are you? 或者What is your job?儘管這2種說法從語法上來講也是沒問題的,不過這麼問,聽起來就沒那麼禮貌或者自然。
You could ask:
其實,可以這麼問:
1)What is your profession?
你的職業是什麼?
2)What is your occupation?
你的工作是什麼?
But those questions sound like they're part of an interview… official and formal.
不過這2個問題,聽起來就像是身處面試中,顯得相當正式。
Is it really okay to ask anyone-「What do you do?」
用「What do you do?」詢問某人真的可以嗎?
In the US, it's generally acceptable to ask someone what their job is even if you've just met, it's also safe to ask for a few details.
在美國,即使是剛剛碰面,去詢問某人的工作通常也是能被接受的。當然,問一些細節也是不會有什麼大錯的。
For example:
比如:
Where do you work?
你在哪裡工作呢?
How long have you been doing that?
工作了多久?
Or, how long have you been with the company?
或者,在這家公司做了多久?
Have you been with a company long?
你在這家公司工作很久了嗎?
Be careful, not to get too personal, too quickly, though. If it's a friendly conversation, you can probe a little deeper, you can ask:
請大家注意,詢問問題千萬不要問的過於隱私,或者問的很匆忙。如果交談氛圍友好的話,問問題可以稍微深入一些,可以這麼問:
How did you get started in that?
你是如何開始這份工作的?
How did you get into that line of work?
你是這麼踏入這一行的?
Don’t ask about wages or salaries:
千萬不要詢問薪酬或者工資:
How much do you make?
你賺多少錢?
How much do you earn?
你賺多少錢?
Americans don't usually discuss how much they earn openly. Also, pay attention to a person's response, you may understand very quickly that a person doesn't want to talk about work, and that's okay.
實際上,美國人通常不喜歡公開討論賺多少錢。當然,請各位也關注下對方的回答,也許你會很快發現對方並不願意談論工作,這也沒關係的。
As for me, I love what I do. So feel free to ask me about my job. I find teaching to be very rewarding. It’s a wonderful profession, so I'm going to leave you with a few final expressions that you can use if you love your work as much as I love mine:
至於我而言,我喜歡我的工作。你可以隨意詢問我的工作。我覺得教書很有價值。這是一個很不錯的職業。最後,我給大家留一些終極版的表達,如果你像我一樣熱愛自己的工作的話,可以用一下以下這些表達:
I love what I do.
我熱愛我的工作。
I love my job.
我熱愛我的工作。
I feel lucky to do what I do every day.
我每天工作都感到很幸運。
There’s nothing else I'd rather do.
我不想再去幹別的工作了。
That’s all for now. Thanks for watching and happy studies!
今天的分享就到這,感謝大家觀看,祝大家學習愉快!
#END#