Hello, guys! Steven here.
哈囉,大夥們! 我是Steven。
And in this video, I'm going to explain 10 items of advanced English vocabulary to describe the weather.
在這部影片中,我會解釋十個形容天氣的進階英文單字。
I have left out the basic expressions like " it's raining" or " it's sunny" or " it's cold , "
我不會教像「下雨了」或「天氣很晴朗」或「天氣很冷」這種基本說法,
and instead, I have chosen nouns and adjectives which are more descriptive and will help you when you are talking about the weather in more detail.
我挑選出一些名詞和形容詞,它們較具描述性,而且在你更細聊天氣時可以幫上忙。
Number one is a " blizzard."
第一個是blizzard(暴風雪)。
A blizzard is a severe, a serious, snowstorm which lasts for some time.
Blizzard是極為慘重、一場很大且持續一陣子的風雪。
For example, I could say, " In December, we had a blizzard, which left everything covered in snow,
例如,我可以說:「十二月時,我們遇到一場暴風雪,一切都被覆蓋在白雪中」
" or " In December, there was a blizzard, which left everything covered in snow."
或「十二月時有一場暴風雪,一切都被覆蓋在白雪中。」
So a blizzard is a very serious or severe snowstorm.
所以暴風雪是一場非常大或慘重的風雪。
Number two is a " breeze."
"第二個是breeze(微風)。
And a breeze is a very gentle wind.
Breeze是一陣徐徐的風。
For example, " Her hair was blowing very slightly in the breeze.
舉例來說,「她的秀髮在微風中輕輕飄揚著。」
Next, we have a " gust of wind."
接下來,我們有a gust of wind(一陣強風)。
And a gust of wind is a very sudden, strong piece of wind.
A gust of wind是一陣非常突然、猛烈的風。
It's the opposite of a breeze.
那是微風的相反。
So, for example, " I was wearing my hat and a gust of wind blew it away."
那麼,舉例來說,「我戴著我的帽子,接著一陣強風把它吹走了。」
Number four is " overcast."
第四個是overcast(烏雲密布)。
This adjective is used to describe the sky when there are a lot of clouds.
這個形容詞是用來形容極為多雲的天空。
If I said the sky was cloudy, it means there are some clouds;
如果我說天空陰陰的,那代表有一些雲;
however, if it's overcast, it's probably very gray and full of clouds— perhaps it's going to rain.
然而,如果天空烏雲密布的話,那可能就表示天空很灰而且有一堆雲--搞不好要下雨了。
Number five is another adjective, and it's " muggy."
第五個是另一個形容詞,這個字是muggy(悶熱的)。
Muggy means that it is very hot and humid—unpleasantly so.
Muggy的意思是天氣非常熱而且潮溼--讓人不舒服的那種。
For example, " In August, in many countries, it's so muggy that your clothes are sticking to you."
例如,「八月時在許多國家,天氣悶熱到你的衣服都會黏在身上。」
Remember, guys, I have a northern British accent, so I say " muggy."
大家記住,我有英國北部的口音,所以我說muggy。
Um, the standard accent, which you may be used to, it's more of an " a" sound: " muggy."
呃,標準口音,你可能比較習慣聽到的那種,那比較是a的音:muggy。
So, " muggy" is how I pronounce it although it is pronounced by other speakers as " muggy."
那麼,muggy是我的發音方式,雖然其他人是發成muggy的音。
Next, we have " smog."
接下來,我們有smog(霧霾)。
Smog is a noun, and it's a combination of the words " smoke" and " fog."
Smog是一個名詞,它是smoke(煙)和fog(霧)這二字的組合。
I have heard—although I've never been—that in Los Angeles in the United States, there is often a lot of smog.
我聽說--雖然我從沒去過--聽說在美國洛杉磯,那裡常有許多霧霾。
This is because there is not enough wind to blow away all of the cars' exhaust fumes and other smoke from factories.
這是因為沒有足夠的風吹散所有汽車的廢氣,還有其它工廠排放的煙。
You might have just heard my cat meowing. I have a cat just behind the camera.
你可能剛聽到我的貓在叫。我有一隻貓就在攝影機後面。
So, shh! Be quiet, cat.
噓!貓咪,安靜。
So, " smog, " if I said to you, " I couldn't see the sun because there was a lot of smog, "
那麼,霧霾,如果我告訴你:「我看不到太陽,因為有很多霧霾」
it means there was smoke and fog and it was blocking out the sun .
那就代表有煙和霧,而且那擋住太陽了。
Number seven is " hail."
第七個是hail(冰雹)。
Hail is pieces of ice which fall from the sky like rain.
Hail是和雨一樣從天而降的冰塊。
Um, they can be quite painful when they hit you.
呃,被它們打到的時候會滿痛的。
In British English, we also say " hailstorms."
在英式英文中,我們也會用hailstorm(雹暴)。
And if there is a hailstorm, it means that lots of hail falls from the sky.
如果有雹暴的話,那就表示有很多冰雹從天而落。
It means it's very, very cold.
這代表天氣非常非常冷。
You do not want to be caught in a hailstorm.
你不會想被困在雹暴中。
Next, we have a " heatwave."
接下來,我們有heatwave(熱浪)。
And a heatwave is a long period of very hot weather.
Heatwave是很長一段時間的炎熱天氣。
We don't often have heatwaves in the UK—we are quite a cold country.
我們在英國不常遇到熱浪--我們是個滿寒冷的國家。
But when we do have a heat wave, we make the most of it by going outside, sunbathing, and enjoying the very infrequent hot weather.
不過當我們真的有熱浪來襲時,我們就會充分利用,去到戶外、做做日光浴,然後享受這非常難得的炎熱天氣。
Number nine is " torrential rain."
第九個是torrential rain(豪雨)。
Torrential rain is very heavy rain.
Torrential rain是很大的雨。
So you can have normal rain, heavy rain, and then torrential rain.
所以你可以有一般降雨、大雨,然後豪雨。
So torrential rain is rain which is falling so hard you can't see your hand in front of you, you're soaking wet.
豪雨是下得非常大的雨,大到你看不到眼前的手、大到你全身溼透。
It might even be dangerous to drive in torrential rain as you won't be able to see where you're going.
豪雨中開車甚至可能發生危險,因為你無法看到你的去向。
For example, " I was driving home and there was torrential rain, so I had to stop my car, because it was too dangerous."
舉例來說,「我正開車返家然後下了一場豪雨,因此我必須停下車來,因為實在太危險了。」
Number 10 is " bitterly cold."
第十個是bitterly cold(天寒地凍)。
If it is bitterly cold, it's extremely cold.
如果用了bitterly cold的話,就是天氣極為寒冷。
It's very unpleasant; it's not nice.
那非常令人不快;那種天氣並不好。
For example, " In December, it was bitterly cold, so I didn't leave the house for two days. "
舉例來說,「十二月時,天氣天寒地凍,所以我兩天沒離開屋子。」
I hope you have enjoyed this video about advanced English vocabulary to describe the weather.
希望你們喜歡這部有關形容天氣的進階英文單字的影片。
If you have, please put a " Like" on YouTube and share it with your friends.
如果你喜歡的話,請在YouTube頻道上按個「我喜歡」,並和你的朋友一起分享。