牛津大學- 如何討論天氣 How to Talk About the Weather

2020-12-16 英語東

Hello, I'm Michael.

Welcome to Oxford Online English.

嗨,我是麥可。

歡迎來到牛津在線英語。

In this lesson, you'll learn how to talk about the weather in English.

Do you know what it means if someone says 'it's chucking it down today'?

在本節課,你將學習如何用英語討論天氣。

你知道如果有人說:「今天下了傾盆大雨」是什麼意思嗎?

If someone says 'it's baking today', do you know what they are talking about?

In this class, you'll learn words, phrases and idioms that you can use to describe different kinds of weather.

如果有人說:「今天熱得像烤爐」,你知道他們在說什麼嗎?

在本節課,你將學習可以用來描述不同天氣的句子、短語以及習語。

British people are famous for talking about the weather. Do you know why?

眾所周知,英國人總是討論天氣。你知道為什麼嗎?

It's because in the UK we have a lot of weather.

You never know what the weather will be like.

這是因為在英國,我們的天氣變幻莫測。

你永遠不知道天氣會變成什麼樣。

You can have all four seasons in one day.

We are going to look at a typical British day, so the weather is going to be very changeable.

你可以在一天裡感受到四季。

我們將感受典型的英國的一天,天氣是非常多變的。

This means that weather can change quickly and unpredictably.

It can be sunny, and then 30 minutes later, it will start snowing.

意思是天氣變換地很快而且無法預測。

可能現在是晴天,然而30分鐘後,就開始下雪了。

So, first we wake up and it is a bit cold.

How would we describe this?

所以,首先我們起床的時候天氣可能有點冷。

我們如何描述它呢?

I could say that it's a bit chilly. This means that it's a little cold.

我可能會說天氣有些陰冷。意思是今天有點冷。

Not very cold, just a little cold. Autumn mornings are often chilly.

不是非常冷,只是有點冷。秋天的早晨通常都是陰冷的。

In chilly weather, you might want a light jacket, but you won't need a heavy coat, or a scarf, or anything like that.

But what if it's very cold?

在陰冷天氣,你可能想穿一件薄夾克,但你不需要穿一件厚大衣,也不需要戴一條圍巾或其他厚重衣物。

但是如果天氣非常冷呢?

You could say that it's freezing. You might say that you can see your breath.

你可以說今天十分寒冷。你可能會說你可以看見你的哈氣。

Freezing means that it is very cold. Not just chilly, but very cold.

Freezing 意思是天氣非常冷。不只是有點冷,而是非常冷。

Antarctica is freezing. Northern Canada in winter is freezing.

南極洲是十分寒冷的。冬天的加拿大北部也是十分寒冷的。

To see your breath means that you can literally see the air when you breathe on it.

Usually if you can see your breath it is freezing.

To see your breath 意思是當你呼吸的時候,你確實可以看見空氣。

通常如果你能看見你的哈氣,那麼天氣是十分寒冷的。

If the weather is so freezing that you can see your breath, you probably will need to bundle up. Bundle up means to wear layers of clothes to keep yourself warm.

如果天氣寒冷到你可以看見你的哈氣,你可能會需要穿暖和些。

Bundle up 意思是多穿幾層衣服讓自己保持溫暖。

When the weather is freezing you need to bundle up.

On freezing mornings, it can be very, very difficult to get out of bed.

當天氣很寒冷時你需要穿暖和些。在寒冷的早晨,起床可能會非常非常困難。

But let's imagine that we get up because we have to go to work.

So we leave the house and it's drizzling at the moment.

但是讓我們想像一下我們起床是因為我們必須去工作。

所以我們離開家門時天氣是有點毛毛細雨的。

Drizzling means that it is raining lightly. It's not heavy.

Drizzling 意思是天有點下小雨。不是很大。

Drizzle is so light that it can look like mist. We can also say that it is only spitting.

毛毛細雨是很小的以至於它看起來像霧一樣。我們也可以說只是小雨而已。

Spitting is even lighter than drizzling.

It means that a few raindrops are falling, but it isn't really raining.

小雨要比細雨還要小些。它意味著只是有點點雨滴,而不是真的下雨了。

Before it rains, it might start spitting and then get heavier.

Then, suddenly the heavens open.

下雨前,可能會先有點點雨滴然後下得越來越大。然後,突然間大雨傾盆。

This means that it starts raining heavily. How else could I describe it if it is raining a lot?

這意味著雨下得非常大。如果雨下得非常大,我應該怎麼描述它呢?

I could say that it is chucking it down. This means that it is raining a lot.

我可以說今天下了傾盆大雨。這意味著雨下得非常大。

It is really heavy. It is the type of rain that people find it difficult to drive in or walk in.

真的是特別大。這是那種大到讓人們出行變得困難的大雨。

As I am walking to work my clothes are getting soaked.

This means that my clothes are very wet because of the rain.

當我步行去上班時我的衣服全都溼透了。

意思是我的衣服因為下雨全都溼了。

Luckily I bought my umbrella today. So we get to work, only a little damp from the rain thanks to the umbrella.

幸運的是我今天帶了雨傘。因此我們去上班,由於有雨傘所以身上只會有一點潮。

Damp means that something is slightly wet. My clothes are a little wet because of the rain.

Damp意思是說某物有一點點溼了。因為下雨,我的衣服有點溼了。

And from my window I can see that it's very overcast and dark overhead. To say that it is overcast means that the clouds are covering the sky.

透過我的窗戶,我可以看到天氣是多雲的而且烏雲密布。

說 overcast 的意思是說有很多雲遮蓋了天空。

You cannot see the sun. When it is dark overhead you are saying that the clouds are very black.

你無法看見太陽。當你說 dark overhead 意思是雲朵非常陰暗。

Most likely this is because it is raining or going to rain soon.

So it is dark overhead and overcast.

這很有可能是因為正在下雨或者馬上要下雨了。

所以天氣是多雲的而且烏雲密布。

You think there's going to be a storm. You could say that there is a storm brewing.

你覺得暴風雨馬上就來了。你可以說那正醞釀著一場暴風雨。

This means that you think a storm will start very soon.

You're sure there's going to be a storm; you can see it in the sky.

意思是你覺得一場暴風雨馬上就要來了。

你確定暴風雨馬上就要來了;你可以透過天空發現它。

And then you see lightning. Lightning is a large electric flash of light.

之後你看見了閃電。閃電是一道巨大的電閃光。

And after the lightning you hear thunder. Thunder is the noise that you hear caused by lightning.

閃電之後你會聽見雷聲。雷聲是由閃電引起的你可以聽見的巨響。

Usually you will hear thunder after you see lightning. We call these storms thunderstorms.

通常在看見閃電後,你會聽見雷聲。我們把這種暴風雨稱為雷暴雨。

Thunderstorms are storms that have lightning, thunder and it is also chucking it down as well. When the storm starts, the wind picks up.

雷暴雨是指夾雜電閃雷鳴的暴風雨而且通常都是傾盆大雨。

當暴風雨來臨的時候,風也刮起來了。

Soon, it's almost a gale. The wind picks up when the wind becomes stronger.

很快就變成了狂風。隨著風越來越強勁,風速越來越快。

A gale is a very strong wind, which can be dangerous.

Lucky for you when it is time to go home the storm has finished.

大風是很強勁的風,可能會非常危險。幸運的是,當你回家的時候暴風雨已經停了。

It is now sunny and hot. You won't need your umbrella anymore.

現在是晴天而且很熱。你不再需要你的雨傘了。

You walk outside and there isn't a cloud in the sky and it is baking hot.

This means that it is very hot.

你走到室外發現天上一朵雲都沒有而且熱得像烤爐一樣。這意味著天氣很熱。

It is baking hot in the Sahara Desert. It's completely still.

撒哈拉沙漠熱得像烤爐一樣。它完全靜止不動。

That means there's no wind at all. We can also say that it is a scorcher today.

這意味著一點風都沒有。我們也可以說今天是個大熱天。

This also means that it is extremely hot.

In Australia, most days in the summer could be described as scorchers.

這意味著天氣十分炎熱。

在澳大利亞,夏季的大多數時候都可以被描述為大熱天。

Another way to say this is to say that it is boiling.

So if the temperature is very hot we can say that it is baking hot, a scorcher or boiling.

換而言之可以說今天熱得要命。

所以如果氣溫非常高的話,我們可以說天熱像烤爐,今天是個大熱天或者熱得要命。

The walk home from work is a lot better than your walk to work this morning in the rain.

So you get home and watch the weather forecast.

現在步行下班回家比你今早雨中步行上班要輕鬆得多。

所以你回到家然後看天氣預報。

The weather forecast is the prediction for the next day or week of what the weather will be like.

The weather forecast tells you that tomorrow it will begin with a bit of frost on the ground and it will be sleeting.

天氣預報是對第二天或者下周天氣的預測。

天氣預報告訴你明天地上會結一些霜,將會有一場雨夾雪。

In the afternoon there will be flurry of snow but then it will turn into a blizzard by the evening.

The snow on the floor will turn into slush.

下午會有一陣降雪,但很快在晚上會變成大暴雪。

落在地上的雪會化成雪泥。

It will be below freezing for most of the day.

What does this mean?

大部分時候它都會結冰。

這意味這什麼呢?

It will begin with a bit of frost on the ground.

Frost are ice crystals on a frozen surface.

最開始地上會結一些霜。霜就是凍結在地面上的冰晶。

When it is freezing the ground may be covered in frost.

Usually in winter in the UK we have very frosty mornings.

當天氣很寒冷時,地面可能會結霜。

通常來講在英國的冬天我們總會遇到霜凍的早晨。

And it will be sleeting.

Sleet is rain and snow mixed together.

而且將會有雨夾雪。

雨夾雪就是雨和雪夾雜在一起。

Sleet happens when snow melts as it falls.

In the afternoon there will be a flurry of snow.

當雪在下落的過程中融化了時會發生雨夾雪。

今天下午將會有一陣降雪。

A flurry of snow means that there will be light snow for a short time.

It won't be heavy and it usually doesn't stay on the ground.

一陣降雪意味著將會有短時間的小雪。

這種雪下得不大而且通常不會在地面上留下痕跡。

But it will turn into a blizzard by the evening.

A blizzard is a storm with lots of snow and wind.

但到了晚上就會變成大暴雪。

大暴雪就是一場夾雜著大雪和狂風的風暴。

Usually planes can't take off or land when there is a heavy blizzard.

The snow on the floor will turn into slush.

通常下暴風雪的時候飛機都無法起飛或降落。落在地上的雪會化成雪泥。

Slush is snow or ice that has partly melted.

Usually snow will turn into slush when the weather gets warmer.

雪泥就是部分融化了的雪或者冰。

當天氣變暖和的時候,雪通常會融化成雪泥。

Walking in slush is very unpleasant, because cold water will get into your shoes!

It will be below freezing for most of the day.

走在雪泥上是非常不舒服的,因為冷水會進到你的鞋裡面。

氣溫在一天的大多數時候都低於冰點。

When we say it is below freezing we are saying that the temperature is below 0°C.

This means that it's freezing.

我們說氣溫低於冰點就是說氣溫在零度以下。

這意味著天氣十分寒冷。

So I 'll probably want to bundle up tomorrow!

So what have we learnt today?

所以我明天可能會想穿得暖和點。

所以我們今天都學了什麼呢?

We have learned that Britain's weather is very changeable and hopefully we have learned how to describe the weather in more detail using phrases and expressions.

Thanks very much for watching!

我們知道了英國的天氣是變幻莫測的,希望我們已經學會了如何用短語和特殊表達方式來更細緻地描述天氣。

感謝收看!

I hope that you have found it useful.

You can see more of free lessons on our website: Oxford Online English dot com.

我希望你們能發現它的有用之處。

See you next time.

下次再見。

相關焦點