《趣味科普學英語》介紹
《趣味科普學英語》精選內容有趣的科普類話題,短短幾分鐘,讓你收穫的不僅僅是英語的提升,還有知識層面的擴充。真的是一舉多得!
導讀
主要介紹了一個人如果一直賴床,他的身體會發生哪些變化。
視頻
謝謝收看,獲取本文音視頻、中英文文本等更多英語學習資源在弓重浩:不背英語 希望可以幫助你提高英語水平。
中英文文本
Forty-three percent of Americans
有43%的美國人
say they’re too tired to function.
說他們太累了 無法工作
So, odds are, you’re pretty exhausted.
所以 很有可能 你已經很累了
Some mornings, you might even fantasize
在無數個早晨 你可能甚至都會幻想
about staying in bed…forever.
永遠躺在床上
Hey, look, your wish came true!
嘿 看 你的願望實現了
You』ve got food, a bedpan,
你有食物 有便盆
and an endless stream of podcasts to binge.
還有無窮無盡的播客可以供你狂歡
Everything you need to never move again.
所有你需要的東西都不會再移動了
But it won’t be long until you realize
但不久後你就會意識到
that you』ve made a terrible mistake.
你犯了一個可怕的錯誤
WHAT IF YOU NEVER GOT OUT OF BED
如果你不再起床
People spend lazy Sundays or sick days in bed all the time
人們在懶散的星期天或生病時會賴在床上
and are no worse for wear,
這並不會對身體造成損害
but if you don’t start moving again after about 24 hours,
但是如果你持續24小時不活動的話
one of the first things to change is your lungs.
首先出問題的 就是你的肺部
Gravity isn’t pulling them down into their normal position anymore,
重力不再把它們下拉到正常的位置
so the lower part of your lungs will crumple up.
所以你的肺的下部分會皺起來
You probably won’t feel any different, but watch out,
你可能不會感受到什麼不同 但是小心
because it’s harder for mucus to pass through those collapsed passages.
因為粘液很難通過那些坍塌的通道
So it can get trapped, which can infect your lungs
所以它會被困住 造成肺部感染
and ultimately lead to pneumonia.
最終導致肺炎
That’s why doctors tell people on bed rest
這就是為什麼醫生告訴臥床休息的人
to sit up and cough from time to time.
要坐起來 時不時咳嗽一下的原因
But you’re way too engrossed in those podcasts
但是你太沉迷於那些播客了
to remember to cough.
而忘記了咳嗽
Within a week, your problems only get worse.
在一周之內 你的問題只會變得更糟糕
You see, normally, your muscles and bones help support your weight under gravity.
正常情況下 你的肌肉和骨骼在重力作用下支撐著你的體重
But now that you’re lying down, they’re out of a job.
但是現在你一直躺著 它們就失業了
And as the saying goes, if you don’t use 』em, you lose 』em.
俗話說 用進廢退
For every week in bed,
在床上每多躺一周
you lose about 1% of your bone density,
你就會失去1%的骨密度
making your bones more brittle and easy to fracture.
這會使你的骨骼更脆弱 更容易骨折
That’s why astronauts, who often go for months without gravity,
這就是為什麼太空人們在數月沒有重力的情況下
exercise for at least two hours a day and load up on calcium.
需要每天至少鍛鍊兩小時還要補鈣
In that same week, you also lose 1% of your muscle mass,
在同一周內 你還會失去1%的肌肉質量
particularly in your thighs, butt, and shoulders, which you’re no longer using.
特別是你不再使用的大腿 臀部和肩膀部位
Now, normally, those muscles would suck sugar
正常情況下 這些肌肉會從你的血液中
from your blood for energy to function,
吸收糖分來獲得能量
but after just 10 days of bed rest,
但僅僅是10天的臥床休息之後
this process slows down.
這個過程就會變慢
The result?
結果呢?
All of that unused sugar can build up in your bloodstream
這些未使用的糖分就會在你的血液中堆積起來
and lead to Type 2 diabetes.
導致2型糖尿病
By week two, you can start developing nasty ulcers
到了第二周 你就會開始患上一種潰瘍
called bedsores.
被稱為褥瘡
These form when the bony parts of your body,
它多發於骨頭凸起處
like your hips, tailbone, and ankles,
比如你的臀部 尾骨和腳踝
press against the same spot for too long.
同一個部位會長時間處於壓迫之中
The constant pressure blocks blood flow,
持續的壓力會阻礙血液流動
killing your skin cells.
殺死皮膚細胞
And if you’re not careful,
如果你不小心
they could even rip through layers of skin and tissue
持續的壓力甚至會使皮膚和組織撕裂開
and expose your bones and muscles,
暴露你的骨骼和肌肉
which sounds like the opposite of relaxing.
這聽起來像是放鬆的反義詞
Meanwhile, those muscles are wasting away faster than ever.
與此同時 這些肌肉會比以往任何時候都消耗得更快
After just two weeks,
僅僅兩周後
you』ve lost a whopping 10% of your muscle mass.
你就失去了10%的肌肉
And that causes a new problem,
那將會導致一個新的問題
because the less muscle you have,
因為你的肌肉越少
the less oxygen, and therefore blood flow, they need.
它們需要的氧氣就越少 因此血流量也就越少
So, after a month in bed,
所以 在床上躺一個月後
your heart pumps 30% less blood per beat.
你每次心搏所泵出的血量會減少30%
And with less oxygen circulating through your body,
隨著體內循環氧氣的減少
you feel more tired.
你會感到更累
Even though you』ve been resting for a solid month.
即使你已經休息了整整一個月
And if you don’t get up soon, well,
並且如果你不快點起床
you’re going to have a hard time ever getting up again.
那麼 你再起床就會變得很艱難了
Because six months, maybe a year in,
因為再過六個月或一年
most of your muscles have wasted away.
你的大部分肌肉都退化了
Your bones are too weak and fragile to bear your weight,
你的骨骼太脆弱 承受不了你的重量
and your heart isn’t strong enough
你的心臟也不夠強壯
to do much work anytime soon.
無法做大量工作了
Meanwhile, your brain isn’t a happy camper either.
與此同時 你的大腦也不會再感到快樂了
After all, you』ve been stuck in the same room for months.
畢竟 你已經被困在同一個房間裡好幾個月了
Staring at the same walls, the same spot on the ceiling,
盯著同一面牆 天花板上的同一個地方
having the same experiences day after day.
日復一日地經歷著同樣的事情
Not great for mental health, to say the least.
退一步說 這對心理健康不好
A study of pregnant women found that bed rest
一項關於孕婦的研究發現
increased their risk of anxiety and depression,
臥床休息增加了她們焦慮和抑鬱的風險
and some women reported feeling isolated,
一些婦女報告說她們有被孤立
out of control, and imprisoned.
失控和被監禁的感覺
So, no, a year of uninterrupted bed rest
所以 不 一年不間斷的臥床休息
is not the relaxing paradise we』d all dream it』d be.
並不是我們所夢想的放鬆天堂
And this is exactly why doctors try to get their patients up and walking as quickly as possible.
這就是醫生們都會讓他們的病人儘快站起來走路的原因
In the meantime, medical staff turn people every two hours
與此同時 醫務人員每兩小時將病人翻轉一次
to keep bedsores at bay
以防止褥瘡
and encourage them to do exercises in bed
並鼓勵他們在床上做鍛鍊
to get their heart and muscles working.
使心臟和肌肉得到鍛鍊
So, just keep in mind:
所以 只要記住:
There’s nothing wrong with a lazy Sunday morning,
過一個慵懶的周日早晨沒有什麼不對
as long as you’re up and moving before Monday strikes.
但在周一之前一定要起床活動活動