Hello, everyone, and welcome back to "English With Lucy."
大家好,歡迎回到跟著 Lucy 學英語。
Today, we are going talk about 10 words that will make you sound smart at work in English.
今天我們要談論10個能夠讓你在工作中聽上去很乾練的英語單詞。
This video is perfect for improving your vocabulary, but if you want to improve your pronunciation and your listening skills even further, then I highly recommend you try the special method of combining reading real books with listening to audiobooks at the same time.
但是如果你想要讓你的發音和聽力更上一層樓,那麼我強烈推薦將看書和在 Audible 上聽有聲書版本結合的特殊方法。
Let me explain.
我來解釋一下。
Take a book you've already read in English or a book that you would like to read in English.
選一本你已經讀過了的,或者你想要讀的用英語寫的書。
I've got lots of recommendations down below in the description box, and read it whilst you listen to its audiobook counterpart on Audible.
我在下面的描述欄裡推薦了很多,然後在閱讀這本書的同時聽有聲書的版本。
Reading on its own will not help with your pronunciation.
只是閱讀不會幫助你的發音。
The way a word is spelled or written in English doesn't really give you much indication as to how it's pronounced in English.
一個單詞的拼法和寫法不會告訴你它的讀法。
Take a look at this word.
看一下這個單詞。
I could pronounce it "/ri: d/."
我可以把它讀作/ri:d/。
I could pronounce it "/red/."
我可以把它讀作/red/。
If you listen to a word as you're reading it, your brain will start to make connections, and next time you read that word, you'll know how it's pronounced, and next time you hear that word, you'll know how it's spelled.
如果你在閱讀一個單詞的時候還聽到了它的發音,那麼你的大腦會開始產生聯繫,那麼下一次你看到這個詞的時候,你就知道它的讀法了,並且下一次你聽到那個詞的時候,你就會知道它的拼法、寫法了。
This is such an effective method.
這是一個非常有有效的方法。
It's helped so many of my students.
它幫助了很多我的學生。
And the best part is, you can get one free audiobook.
並且最棒的是你可以得到一本免費的有聲書。
That's the 30-day free trial with Audible.
那就是 Audible上的 30天免費試用。
All you have to do is click on the link down in the description box and sign up.
你只需要點擊描述欄中的連結,然後註冊。
I've also got lots of audiobook recommendations down there too.
我在那裡也推薦了很多有聲書。
Right, let's get started with the 10 words to make you sound smarter at work in English.
好的,我們開始說10個讓你在工作中聽起來很乾練的英語單詞吧。
Word number one is mundane.
第一個單詞就是單調的。
Mundane.
單調的。
I love this word, and I use it fairly frequently.
我喜歡這個單詞,而且我經常使用它。
It's an adjective, meaning very ordinary, lacking excitement, or dull.
這是一個形容詞,意思是普通的,缺乏激情的或沉悶的。
Now this is a really good one to use at work because in a professional environment, we're constantly trying to not offend people, aren't we?
這是一個很適合在工作中使用的單詞,因為在一個專業的環境中,我們要努力不冒犯到人們,不是嗎?
Especially in British workplaces, we don't like to say things directly.
尤其是在英式的職場中,我們不喜歡說話直白。
We like to use other words to express how we really feel.
我們喜歡使用其他的詞來表達我們真實的感受。
Now instead of saying something is boring or uninteresting, using the word mundane can be really nice way of showing that you're not interested in something.
所以我們不會說無聊的,或無趣的,使用單調的這個詞是表達你對某事不感興趣的善良的方式。
So, for example, if you wanted to say that you found a previous task or campaign or role very boring and not very exciting and just very average, you could say, "I found the role to be fairly mundane."
所以舉個例子,如果你本來想要你覺得之前的一個任務或活動或職位非常無聊,並且一點都不令人興奮,並且就是很平平無奇,你可以說,「我發現那個職位相當單調。」
It's just not as negative, and you're almost implying that your current role is really extraordinary and exciting.
它沒有那麼消極,而且你基本上是在暗示你目前的職位真的很超凡絕倫和令人興奮。
It's also a good word to use in meetings if you've got a lot of boring things to talk about first before you move onto the interesting topic.
如果在繼續到有趣的話題之前你有很多無聊的事情要討論的話,這也是一個很適合在會議中使用的詞。
You can say, "Right, let's get all of the mundane tasks out of the way and then we can move onto something interesting."
你可以說:「好的,我們把這些單調的任務搞定,然後再做有趣的事情吧。」
Number two, another beautiful word is accolade.
第二個詞,另一個美妙的單詞就是榮譽。
Accolade.
榮譽。
This word is a noun, and it means an acknowledgement of merit, or an award or privilege granted as a special honour.
這個單詞是一個名詞,它的意思是承認優點,或者一項獎勵或作為一種特殊榮耀的優待。
It's a really nice way of avoiding the words prize or reward, which are quite mundane.
這是一個迴避說獎品或回報的很好的方式,那些詞太單調了。
Perhaps you're congratulating someone because they've won an award or a prize and you don't want to repeat those words and you don't want to say something else mundane, like "Well done," or "Wow. Great."
也許你正在恭喜某個人,因為他們贏得了一個獎勵或一個獎,而你不想要重複那些詞,並且你不希望說像「幹得漂亮」或「哇,厲害」這樣單調的話。
Saying something like, "That's a tremendous accolade, congratulations" is a really sincere and professional and heartfelt way of congratulating someone.
說像「這是個殊榮,祝賀你」這樣的話是一種非常真摯、專業且發自內心祝賀某人的方式。
Or perhaps you want to emphasise how amazing an achievement is.
或者也許你想要強調成就有多棒。
You could say, "Wow, that's the biggest accolade in the industry."
你可以說:「哇,這是這一行裡最大的榮譽。」
Or maybe you're doubting something or someone's merit.
或者你可以說你懷疑某事或某人的優點。
You could say, "Do you think that accolade is deserved?"
你可以說:「你覺得那個榮譽實至名歸嗎?」
Various options for you.
你有很多種選擇。
Let's move onto number three.
我們來說第三個吧。
And number three is capricious.
第三個詞是反覆無常的。
Capricious.
反覆無常的。
This is an adjective, and it means changing mood or behaviour suddenly and unexpectedly.
這是一個形容詞,它的意思是突然毫無預兆地改變情緒或行為。
It's basically a nice way of warning someone that somebody is unpredictable and can maybe have a hot temper.
它就是一個警告某人另一個人難以預料,並且可能脾氣火爆的很好的方式。
So say you'd like to warn someone in your team that someone else is unpredictable, subject to mood swings, but you don't want to be unprofessional and rude.
所以你想要警告你團隊中的某人另一個人難以預料,很情緒化,但是你不想聽起來不專業且粗魯。
You could say, "Robert's known to be a little capricious, so I'm not sure how he'll react to that news."
你可以說:「羅伯特出了名地有點反覆無常」,所以我不知道他會如何應對那個新聞。
Or you could use the term to speak about a team or department in general.
或者你可以用這個表達來大體討論某個團隊或部門。
For example, "Despite the capricious nature of our marketing department, the campaign was a roaring success."
比如,「儘管我們的市場部反覆無常,這個活動大舉成功」。
Number five.
第五個。
This has been used to describe me many times.
這個已經被用來描述我很多次了。
It could be used to describe my hairstyle today.
它可以被用來描述我今天的髮型。
It is dishevelled.
那就是衣衫不整的。
Dishevelled.
衣衫不整的。
Note that in American English, this is normally just spelled with one L.
注意在美式英語中,這個詞一般只有一個l。
I just thought I would mention it before some smart corrects me, as they always do.
我只是覺得我得在一些聰明人糾正我之前提一下,他們總是這樣做。
This is used to talk about someone's clothes, hair, and appearance, and it means untidy or disordered.
這個詞被用來談論某人的衣著、髮型和外貌,並且它意味著不整潔或雜亂的。
Hence why I used it to describe my untidy bun, or messy bun, as they call it nowadays.
因此我用它來描述我不整潔的髮髻,或者按如今流行的說法,亂糟糟的髮髻。
This can be used as a nicer way to comment on somebody's untidy and potentially unprofessional appearance.
這個詞可以用來不失禮貌地評論某人不整潔並且很可能是不專業的外表。
You don't want to say, "Oh, you look very messy," or "You don't look professional," 'cause that could be very insulting or it could ruin their confidence.
你不能說:「哦,你看上去很邋遢的」或者「你看上去不專業」,因為這樣很侮辱人,或者會毀掉他們的信心。
If a colleague or employee comes into the office looking very messy, very disorderly, you could say something along the lines of, "You're looking a bit dishevelled.
如果某個同事或員工進辦公室的時候看上去非常邋遢,你可以像這樣說:「你看上去有點衣衫不整。」
"Perhaps you can go and straighten up before the presentation."
「也許你可以在展示之前整理一下儀表。」
What you want to say is clear, but you don't have to use insulting terms.
你要表達的意思很清楚,但是沒必要使用侮辱性的話語。
Or perhaps it could be you asking for feedback.
還有一種可能是你在尋求反饋。
Maybe you've come back into the office after lunch and you've had a windy walk to the office.
也許你午飯後剛剛回到辦公室,而你是走回辦公室的時候颳風了。
You want to know if your hair still looks professional.
你想知道你的頭髮是否看起來依舊專業。
You could say, "Am I looking a bit dishevelled or am I okay?"
你可以說:「我看起來有點衣衫不整嗎,還是看起來還行?」
Better than, "Do I look like a total hot mess or am I looking great?"
這樣比你說:「我看起來亂七八糟還是乾淨整潔?」要好。
Number six is elucidate.
第六個詞是闡釋。
Elucidate.
闡釋。
This means to make something clear or to explain something that was formerly murky or confusing.
這個詞的意思是明確某事或解釋原本非常晦澀或讓人困惑的東西。
And there's no wonder how this word came to be.
這個詞是怎麼來的一點都不奇怪。
It's derived from lucid, and that itself is derived from the Latin word, excuse my pronunciation, lucre, it sounded more Italian, that, which means to shine.
這個是從lucid清晰的演化而來的,而lucid這個詞本身是從拉丁語單詞演化來的,請原諒我的發音,lucre,它聽起來更像是義大利語,意思是照耀。
This is just a lovely word that you can use instead of explain, which itself is often very overused.
你可以用這個可愛的詞去替換解釋這個已經被用爛了的詞。
It's nice to have an alternative.
有替換的說法總是很好的。
I also think that this word can sound very professional, teetering toward stern.
我還認為這個詞聽上去很專業,趨向於嚴厲。
So if you want to be very serious with someone, and you want to ask them to explain themselves, you can ask them to elucidate.
所以如果你想很嚴肅地對待某人,並且你想要求他們自行解釋的話,你可以要求他們闡釋。
So if someone's made a bad decision and you want an explanation, you can say, "Please elucidate the reasons for your decision."
所以如果某人做出了一個錯誤的決定,而你想要一個解釋,你可以說:「請闡釋你做出決定的理由」。
Or maybe someone's struggling to understand you and you're getting slightly frustrated.
或者也許某人難以理解你,而你感到有點沮喪。
You can say, "You've not understood me.
你可以說:「你完全沒理解我的意思。
Allow me to elucidate.
請允許我來闡釋。」
"Allow me to explain further."
「請允許我進一步解釋。」
Obviously, this was murky.
很顯然,之前的內容很晦澀。
Make it more clear.
要讓它更明晰。
Number seven.
第七個詞。
This one's fun to say.
這個詞說起來很有趣。
Exacerbate.
雪上加霜。
I hope you're all practising at home.
我喜歡你們能在家裡練習這個詞。
Exacerbate.
雪上加霜。
This is a verb.
這是一個動詞。
This means to make a problem or negative situation even worse.
這個詞的意思是讓一個問題或負面的情況變得更糟。
So this is a great word to use if you're talking about an increasing problem.
所以如果你要談論一個越來越嚴重的問題,那麼這個詞就非常適合了。
For example, "Kerry's redundancy will only exacerbate the staff shortage issue."
比如:「凱麗的解僱只會給員工短缺問題雪上加霜。」
Really, all we've said is, Kerry's redundancy will make the staff shortage problem worse.
說真的,我們所說的意思就是凱麗的解僱只會給員工短缺問題變得更糟。
But exacerbate sounds so much better and more intelligent.
但是使用雪上加霜這個詞要好得多。
Another example, "The high prices of raw materials only exacerbated the falling profits."
另一個例子,「原材料的高價只會給不斷下降的利潤雪上加霜。」
Number eight is quintessential.
第八個詞是典範的。
Quintessential.
典範的。
This is an adjective used when something represents the most perfect example or a quality or class.
這個形容詞被用來描述某事代表了最完美的範例,或某種品質或階級。
For example, if a client is looking for a campaign that really represents their culture to a T, as in perfectly, you could say, "Out clients want the campaign to be quintessentially British," or wherever they're from.
比如,如果一個客戶正在尋求一個能夠完美展示他們文化的活動,那麼你可以說:「我們的客戶希望這個活動能體現出英國文化的精髓」,或者其它任何一個國家。
Or talking about British traits, "Queuing, along with warm beer and afternoon tea is a quintessentially British trait."
或者在談論英國特色時,「排隊,還有熱啤酒,以及下午茶是英國特色的典範。」
Number nine is ubiquitous.
第九個詞是無所不在的。
Ubiquitous.
無所不在的。
This means present, appearing, or found everywhere.
這個詞的意思是當前的,出現的,或者到處都是的。
If something is ubiquitous, it's everywhere.
如果某事物無所不在,那麼它到處都是。
Maybe you can use this in the workplace to talk about something that's on trend.
也許你可以在職場中使用這個詞來談論正在流行的東西。
An example: "Leather is very much on trend this season, as is the ubiquitous denim."
舉個例子:「這一季皮革非常流行,就跟無處不在的牛仔服一樣。」
Denim is just always around.
牛仔服到處都是。
Or you can use it to discuss something that is overused or is overpresent.
或者你可以用它來討論某個被過度使用或存在感太強的東西。
For example, "We live in a society where the term risk is ubiquitous."
比如:「我們生活在一個風險無處不在的社會。」
It's just everywhere.
它到處都是。
We're too worried about risks.
我們過於擔心風險。
And number 10 is perfunctory.
第十個詞是敷衍的。
Perfunctory.
敷衍的。
This is used to speak about an action that is done is a routine manner with little care.
這個詞被用來談論某件事是以一種例行公事,不甚用心的方式完成的。
This is a very good word to use if you want to imply that more care should be taken.
如果你想要表明應該更加小心的時候,這個詞就非常適合了。
For example, "Their audit was completed in a perfunctory manner," as in, I wish they had taken more care with their audit.
比如:「他們的審計完全敷衍了事,」言外之意就是我希望他們能夠更加小心地進行審計。
Or maybe if you want to warn someone that because an employee has been at a company at a very long time, they're now doing things as if they're a robot, rather than an engaged human being.
或者也許你想要警告某人,因為某個員工已經在某個公司待了很久了,而他們現在做事的樣子就好像他們是個機器人一樣,而不是一個投入的人類。
For example, "Due to the fact that Anne has done these tasks for many, many years, she now completes them in a perfunctory manner."
比如:「由於安妮做這個工作已經做了很多年了,它現在完成它們的時候很敷衍。」
Right, those were the 10 words that I have chosen for you so that you can appear more professional in the workplace or in a professional environment.
好的,以上就是我為你們挑選出的10個能讓你在職場或專業環境中顯得更專業的單詞。
Feel free to share any more down below in the comments sections.
請隨意地在下面的評論區裡評論更多的單詞。
I love hearing all of your recommendations and suggestions.
我想要聽到你們所有人的推薦和建議。
Your homework is to write five sentences using five of these words, your five favourites.
你們的家庭作業就是用以上單詞中的五個你最喜歡的單詞造五個句子。
If you can, try to make them business-related sentences.
如果可以的話,試著造一些商務相關的句子。
Don't forget to check out Audible and try out that special method of listening to audiobooks whilst reading the book version.
別忘記查看 Audible並且試一試那個把聽和讀結合起來的特殊方法。
You can get your free audiobook and 30-day free trial by clicking on the link in the description box and signing up.
你們只需要點擊描述欄中的連結並註冊就是可獲得免費的有聲書以及30天的免費試用了。
And don't forget to connect with me on all of my social media.
別忘記在我所有的社交媒體上聯繫我。
I've got my Facebook, my Instagram, my Twitter, and my second channel, my Lucy Bella Earl channel.
我有臉書、INS、推特,還有我的第二個頻道 Lucy Bella Earl。
Very funny.
有個很好笑的事。
I've had a lot of comments saying, "Oh my god, you've lost all your subscribers," 'cause people don't realise it's not the English With Lucy channel.
我收到很多評論說:「哦,我的天,你的粉掉光了,因為人們沒有意識到這不是跟著Lucy學英語頻道。」
I have two channels.
我有兩個頻道。
And there, I talk about life, and everything that's not to do with English.
在那裡我會談論生活,以及一切與英語無關的事情。
I will see you soon for another lesson.
我們下節課再見。
Muah.
麼麼噠。