最簡單的區別:
other 主要是「其他(的)」的意思;
「兩個中的另一個」用「the other」表示。
another主要是「另一個an other」的意思,而且不確定,不特指;
一、other
1. other做形容詞:
其他的;另外的;(兩個裡)另一個的;另一邊的。
1)用在不可數名詞或可數名詞複數前:
Other travel informationcan be obtained by calling the free phone number.
其他旅行信息可以通過撥打免費電話號碼獲得。
Some music calms people; other music has the opposite effect.
有些音樂能使人平靜下來,而另一些音樂則有相反的效果。
This one’s too big. Do you have it in other sizes?
這個太大了。有其他尺寸的嗎?
Have you got any other questions?
你還有其他問題嗎?
Some children learn quickly but other children need more time.
有些孩子學得很快,但其他孩子需要更多的時間。
2)用在可數名詞單數前,一般前面要加其他限定詞:
I can't find my other shoe.
我找不到我的另一隻鞋。
Jeremy is at university; our other son is still at school.
傑裡米在上大學,我們的另一個兒子還在上學。
There’s one other thing we need to discuss before we finish.
還有一件事我們需要在結束前討論。
I don’t like the red one. I prefer the other colour.
我不喜歡紅色的。我喜歡另一種顏色。
This computer here is new. The other computer is about five years old.
這臺電腦是新的。另一臺電腦大約有五年的歷史了。
I’m not going to wear this dress. I prefer the other one.
我不打算穿這件衣服。我喜歡另一個。
There's some water left in this bottle. The other bottle is empty.
這個瓶子裡還有一些水。另一瓶是空的。
註:the other 加單數名詞,是兩個中的「另一個」。
註:the other 加複數名詞,是一個集體中「其他的人/物」。Joel and Karen are here, but where are the other kids?
喬爾和凱倫在這裡,但其他孩子呢?
Where are the other two dinner plates? I can only find four.
另外兩個餐盤在哪裡?我只能找到四個。
These shoes don’t go well with the dress. The other ones look better.
這雙鞋和這件衣服不相配。其他的看起來好多了。
2. other 做代詞:其他(人或物)
He had his hat in one hand and a bunch of flowers in the other.
他一手拿著帽子,一手拿著一束花。
She has two kittens, one is black and the other is all white.
她有兩隻小貓,一隻是黑色的,另一隻全是白色的。
We have to solve this problem, more than any other, today.
今天,我們比任何人都要解決這個問題。
二、another
1. another 做形容詞:另一的;再一個的。
1)用在單數名詞前
Would you like another cup of coffee?
你想再來一杯咖啡嗎?
You』ve met Linda, but I have another sister who you haven’t met, called Margaret.
你見過琳達,但我還有一個你沒見過的妹妹,叫瑪格麗特。
I don’t like this place. Is there another café around here we could go to?
我不喜歡這個地方。這附近還有別的咖啡館我們可以去嗎?
This cake is delicious. Could I have another slice please?
這個蛋糕很好吃。我可以再吃一片嗎?
Please give me another chance. I promise to try harder.
請再給我一次機會。我保證會更加努力。
This place isn’t great. Is there another place we could go to?
這地方不太好。我們可以去別的地方嗎?
You』ve already had an ice-cream. You can’t have another one.
你已經吃過冰淇淋了。你不能再吃了。
2)用在可數名詞複數前
The investigation will take another two weeks.
調查還需要兩個星期。
(還要兩星期,實際上是一段時間)
2. another 做代詞:另一個;類似的一個;別的(人,物)
The applications are examined by one committee, then passed on to another.
申請由一個委員會審查,然後轉交給另一個委員會。
The text is corrected by one person, then edited by another.
文本由一個人更正,然後由另一個人編輯。
一般認為each other 指兩者,other another指三者或三者以上。但在實際運用中,這兩個短語常可互換.