Hello, everyone, and welcome back to English with Lucy.
大家好,歡迎收看跟路西學英語。
Today, we are going to talk about self introduction, the answer to that dreaded question, "Tell me about yourself".
今天,我們要說說自我介紹。回答這個可怕的問題,"說說你自己"。
Now, to some of you this topic may seem very basic, but learning to introduce yourself properly is incredibly important.
對你們其中的部分人來說,這個話題非常基礎,但是學著恰當的介紹自己非常重要。
You might need to introduce yourself without any forewarning, so you need to be prepared.
你也許要沒有任何提前預警的介紹一下自己,所以你需要提前準備。
You may need to introduce yourself in your English class or in a job interview.
你可能需要在英語課或者崗位面試的時候介紹你自己。
You might need to introduce yourself at a new job, or at a new hobby or leisure activity.
你可能需要在新的工作崗位介紹自己,或者在新的愛好休閒活動中。
You may even need to introduce yourself at a big event, or convention in front of thousands of people.
你或許需要在一個大的活動中介紹自己,或者在大會裡當著在數千人的面介紹自己。
I feel very nervous and anxious when I have to introduce myself to large groups of people, and English is my first language.
在我不得不給一大群人做自我介紹時候,我覺得非常緊張焦慮,英語是我的母語。
For learners of English, for my students, this is incredibly intimidating.
對英語學習者來說,對我的學生來說,這非常嚇人。
In order to successfully introduced yourself, you must have your self introduction pre-written and learnt.
為了很好地介紹自己,你必須有提前寫好的記憶過得自我介紹。
You have to be prepared.
你要有準備。
In this video, I am going to guide you through this process.
這個視頻裡,我將指導你這些過程。
At the end of this lesson, you will have a complete self introduction that is ready to use, and ready for you to learn off by heart.
在這節課的最後,你將會有一個完整的可以立即使用的自我介紹,你可以記憶。
I encourage you to share your introductions in the comment section down below, so that the community and I may assist you and correct you.
我鼓勵你們在下方評論區分享自我介紹,進而社群人員和我可以協助你改正。
So, let's start with the basics of a self introduction.
讓我開始自我介紹的基本內容吧。
The very first thing that you'll need to say when introducing yourself is a greeting.
你在介紹自己的時候,第一件事是打個招呼。
Now, you can have formal greetings or you can have informal greetings.
你可以用正式的問候或者非正式的問候。
It depends where you are, the situation you are in.
取決於你在哪裡,你在什麼場合。
Let's start with formal greetings.
我們開始正式問候吧。
Obviously, hello.
顯而易見,你好。
Hello can be both formal and informal, but it's fine to use it in a formal situation.
你好既可以表示正式也可以表示非正式,在正式場合使用也是可以的。
You also have good morning, good afternoon and good evening.
你可以用早上好,下午好,晚上好。
Make sure you pay particular attention to what time of day it is.
注意一下當天具體時間。
I have said good morning in the evening and good evening in the morning before.
我之前曾在傍晚的時候說過早上好,在早上說過晚上好。
One thing to note is the use of good day.
謹記一件事情,那就是good day 的使用。
In British English, good day is considered very old-fashioned, very very, very formal.
在英式英語裡,good day 非常老套,非常非常正式。
It's not commonly used.
並不常用。
However, it is very common in Australian English.
然而,在澳洲英語中很常見。
They kind of shorten it down to g'day.
直接縮短成"g'day"。
G'day.
And I would say that, g'day.
我會說,g'day。
I wonder what Emma from mmmEnglish will think of me saying g'day.
我懷疑英國的艾瑪會覺得我在說"g'day "。
Will she approve?
她會贊同嗎?
I'll ask her.
我會問問他。
But, g'day is more informal.
但是,g'day更加非正式。
But this again is if you're in Australia.
但這個又是適用於澳洲。
It's just something I've noticed, people using in my comments section, "Good day".
這只是我注意到的一些事,有人在我的評論區說"good day"。
I can see why you would use it.
我明白為何你會使用這個詞。
It appears to be a greeting that is suitable for all hours of the day,
這個詞可用於一天中所有時間打招呼,
when in reality, in British English,
現實中,在英式英語中,
it's just a very, very old-fashioned saying.
這是一個非常非常老套的說法。
Also note that goodnight is normally a send off, an equivalent for goodbye.
注意晚安是一個非常正式的道別,相當於再見。
You say it when you are leaving instead of when you are greeting someone.
在你準備離開而非打招呼,你可以用這詞。
If you're introducing yourself in the night time, you would say good evening.
如果你在晚上介紹自己,你要說晚上好。
Now let's talk about informal greetings.
我們來說說非正式問候。
It's really important for you to find one that you feel comfortable with.
對你來說找到一個你覺得用起來非常舒服的詞至關重要。
There are lots of informal greetings, like hey, what's up, hi, hiya, yo.
有很多非正式問候,比如hey,what's up,hi,hiya。yo。
There's even, what's good?
還有what's good?
Which is quite an American one.
哪一個是非常美式的用語。
Honestly, if I said yo, when I was introducing myself in an English class or in a less formal situation, I would feel really stupid, because it doesn't suit me.
坦率說,如果我說yo,如果我在英語課或者一個不太正式的場合介紹自己,我會覺得非常突兀,因為這個不適合我。
My particular region doesn't use yo, so it feels a bit forced.
我特殊的領域不適用yo,聽起來有點不合適。
I really admire people who can just stand up and say, "Yo, what's good"?
我非常欣賞那些站起來直接說,"Yo,what's good"?的人。
But it's not gonna happen for me.
但是我不常用。
So make sure you pick one that you feel really comfortable saying.
所以確保你選一個讓你覺得非常容易說出口的詞。
Next of course we have your name.
下面,說你的名字。
Now, there are many ways of introducing your name.
有很多方式介紹你的名字。
The very basic ones like I'm or I am.
基本的一些比如I'am或者I am。
I'm Lucy. I am Lucy.
Or, if you're introducing yourself in a situation, where the majority of the audience cannot see you, for example on the telephone.
如果你要在特定場合介紹自己,而這個場合裡多數聽眾看不到你,舉個例子在電話上。
No one can really see you when you're speaking on the telephone.
你在講電話的時候沒有人能看到你。
You can say, my name is or my name's,
你會說,my name is 或者my name's,
with the apostrophe s, the contracted form.
有一個縮略符號,是縮略形式。
Or, if you're in a very large auditorium or convention centre, then you might want to use this is, "This is Lucy".
如果你在非常大的禮堂或者會議中心,那麼你可能會想用"This is Lucy"。
On the telephone I would normally say, "hi, this is Lucy speaking, or this is Lucy."
電話裡我通常會非常正式地說,「hi,this is Lucy speaking」,或者「this is Lucy。」
Next let's talk about location, where you're from and where you're living.
下一步,我們說說地點,你從哪裡來,你在哪裡生活。
There are many variations of this.
這裡面有很多差別。
I'm going to start with the most basic, and move on to slightly more complicated ways of describing your geographical location.
我從最基本的開始,再到稍稍複雜的闡述你所在地點的方式。
Firstly we have I'm from, and then the place name.
首先我們說I'm from,然後是地點。
I'm from Bedfordshire.
我從貝德福德郡來。
We also have I'm and then the nationality adjective, "I'm British, I'm English."
我們還可以說I'm 然後是國籍形容詞,「I'm British,I'm English.」
If you are from somewhere that is quite far from the place where you're introducing yourself, you can say I come from, and then you can name that place.
如果你來的地方與你做自我介紹的地方相隔千裡,你可以說I come from 然後你說地名。
Come from implies a little bit more of a journey.
come from 暗含一些距離的意思。
If you want to say where you grew up, you can say, I was born and raised in, place name.
如果你想說你在哪長大, 你可以說,我出生在,成長在,然後是地名。
I was born and raised in England.
我生在英國,長在英國。
If you were born in one place, but grew up in a different place, you can say, I was born in France but raised in Sweden.
如果你出生在一個地方,但在另一個地方長大,你可以說,我出生在法國,但在瑞士長大。
If you want to say that you are from one place, but are now living in another place, there are various options.
如果你想說你從某個地方來,但現在住在另一個地方,有很多選擇。
You can say, I grew up in. . . "I grew up in LA, but now live in New York".
你可以說,我在......長大。"我在洛杉磯長大,但現在生活在紐約。"
"I'm originally from Edinburgh but I'm now based in London".
"我來自愛丁堡,但現在我坐標倫敦。"
If you want to say how long you have lived in a certain place, you can say, "I've been living in London for three years".
如果你想表達在某個地方你生活了多久,你可以說,"我在倫敦生活了3年。"
Or, "I've spent the past few years in Paris".
"我過去幾年都在巴黎。"
Now, those are the basics.
這些是基本的。
Let's talk about some other options that you can add on to your self introduction.
我講講其他選項,這些選項你可以添加到你的自我介紹裡面。
A very important option is your position and your company.
一個非常重要的選項是你的職位和你的公司。
For example, "I work at Google in the marketing department".
舉個例子,"我在谷歌的市場部工作。"
You can say, I work at or I work for.
你可以說,I work at,或者 I work for。
You would not say I work in, and then a company name.
你不能說I work in,然後公司名稱。
It's at or for a company name.
用at 或者for 來接公司名稱。
You can also say, "I'm a manager at Starbucks".
你也能說,"我是一名星巴克的經理。"
I'm a position at company.
我在公司的職位是。
Again, the at can also be replaced with a for.
再一次,at可以換成for。
If you just want to give general idea of the field in which you work, you can say, I work in, general area.
如果你只想籠統表達你的工作領域,你可以說,I work in 接寬泛領域。
"I work in sales".
"我是銷售。"
If you want to give the specific position, you can say, "I work as a deputy manager".
如果你想表達具體職位,你可以說,"我是副經理。"
"I work as an accountant. I work as an accountant".
"我是會計師,我是會計師。"
You might also want to mention your qualifications, especially if you are introducing yourself in a job interview.
你也許想提一下你的資質,特別是如果你在面試中做自我介紹。
If you want to say that you are close to graduation, you can say, "I'm about to graduate".
如果你想說你即將畢業,你可以說,"我即將畢業。"
You could also say, I am a subject graduate or postgraduate.
你可以說,我是某個專業的畢業生或者研究生。
"I'm a marketing graduate".
"我是市場營銷專業的畢業生。"
"I have a bachelor of arts degree in marketing".
"我有市場營銷專業學士學位。"
Or, "I have a BA degree in marketing".
或者"我是市場營銷專業學士。"
Or just, "A BA in marketing".
或者就是"是市場營銷專業學士。"
"I'm a biology post-grad".
"我是生物學畢業生。"
Shortening it down to grad is more informal, so it might be something that you do at a convention or in your English class.
把這個詞縮減成grad更為非正式,你在會議中或者英語課中可能常見。
If you want to talk about courses or other achievements, you can say, I'm currently taking a course in subject, Maths.
如果你想說說課程或者其他取得的成就,你可以說,我現在正在學習一個科目,數學。
Now, note the preposition, in versus on.
注意下介詞,對比in和on。
You can take a course in something theoretical like maths.
你可以用take a course in 某個理論學科比如數學。
You can take a course on something practical like jewellery making or pottery.
你可以take a course on某個實務學科比如珠寶製作或者陶藝。
You can also remove the preposition.
你可以去掉介詞。
"I'm taking a pottery course".
我在進修陶藝。
If you want to say that you finished a course, it's now on your CV, you can say I have completed a 72-hour course in or on subject.
如果你想說你完成了一個課程,可以寫在你的履歷上,你可以說我已經完成了某個科目72個小時的課程。
For the time scale of the course, you can say the number, dash, and then the unit of time, and that together forms an adjective.
描述課程時間長度,你可以說數字、槓,然後跟時間單位,共同構成一個形容詞。
A 72-hour subject course.
一個72小時某科目課程。
A three-day subject course.
三天某科目課程。
Now, if you want to talk about experience, about your previous jobs, you can say, I have number years of experience in the field.
如果你想說說經驗,關於你之前的工作,你可以說,我在這個領域有幾年的工作經驗。
"I have three years of experience in the neuroscience field" at whichever company.
"我在某個公司神經科學領域有三年的工作經驗。"
You don't necessarily have to say field.
你根本不必說領域這詞。
You can say I have 10 years of sales experience, or, I have 10 years of experience in sales.
你可以說我有十年銷售經驗,或者在銷售方面有十年工作經驗。
You can also say I've worked in field for however long you've worked there.
你可以說我在這個領域工作了後面跟你工作時間,不論多久。
"I've worked in the accounting field for three years". or, "I've worked in accounting for three years".
"我在財務領域工作了三年。""我做了三年財務。"
Now, if you are in a more informal situation, one in which you're introducing yourself to make friends, and to meet people and to get to know each other better, you may want to talk about your family.
如果你在一個更為非正式的場合,這個場合裡,你自我介紹來交友,你和別人見面然後互相更為了解彼此,你或許在想談談你的家庭。
Now, obviously, there are the normal things like, I have a brother, I have a sister, I have a mum and a dad. But what if you want to give a little bit more information and also show off your language skills?
顯而易見,有些常見的事情比如,我有一個哥哥,我有一個姐姐,我有媽媽和爸爸。但是如果你想再多說一些信息,也想顯示你的語言技巧呢?
One common mistake I hear my students make is when they're trying to talk about, how large or how small their family is.
我聽我學生常犯的一個錯誤是,在他們講到,他的家庭大小的時候。
They want to tell me how many family members there are in their family.
他們想告訴我他們家有幾個家庭成員。
I often hear them say, "We are five in our family".
我常聽他們說,"我家有五人。"
This isn't correct in English.
這不是正確的英語表達。
In English we say, I'm from a family of number.
英語中我們說,我來自一個幾口之家。
"I'm from a family of four".
"我來自一個四口之家。"
Or, "We are a family of four".
"我們是四口之家。"
That's a really important one for you to remember.
對你來說這句是非常重要,值得記住的話。
It's a mistake I hear very frequently.
這是我常常可以聽到的錯誤。
If you want to talk about how many brothers or sisters you have, you can say, "I am one of four siblings".
如果你想說說你有幾個兄弟姐妹,你可以說"我們兄弟姐妹四人"
Siblings doesn't specify the gender, so you don't have to say two brothers, one sister.
siblings 沒有具體的性別特指,所以你不必說兩個哥哥,一個妹妹。
You can just say siblings, three.
你可以說兄弟姐妹三人。
"I'm one of four siblings".
"我們兄弟姐妹四人"
Or even, if you're already talking about families, you can just say, "I'm one of four," and they'll understand you.
或者即使你準備說說你的家庭,你可以說"我們四口之家,"他們會明白你的。
If you have no brothers or sisters, you can say I am an only child.
如果你沒有弟弟或者妹妹,你可以說我是獨生子女。
"I'm an only child".
"我是獨生子女。"
You might want to talk about hobbies.
你或者想說愛好。
You have all the usual phrases like, I really like running, I really enjoy tennis.
你可以用這些常用語比如,我喜歡跑步,我喜歡網球。
A really good phrase I think is, I'm a big fan of, "I'm a big fan of go-karting".
一個非常好的短語我認為是,我超喜歡~。"我超喜歡卡丁車。"
You can also say, I am a keen and then a noun.
你也可以說,我是狂熱的然後接一個名詞。
For example, "I'm a keen runner".
舉例,"我是狂熱的跑步愛好者。"
Or, "I'm a keen tennis player".
或者"我是狂熱的網球愛好者。"
Now, I've left this one till last because really, it really isn't as necessary anymore,
我將這個留在最後因為,這不是必須的。
but it's important that you know how to say it.
但是你知道怎麼說非常重要。
It's age.
這就是年齡。
We have the basic one.
我們有最基本的表達。
"I am 25 years old".
"我25歲。"
We can shorten it down. "I'm 25."
我們可以縮短。"我25了。"
If you don't want to specify your age, you can say, I'm in my early, mid or late, and then your decade.
如果你不想特別指明你的年齡,你可說,我是多少歲出頭,多歲,好幾,然後跟你的年齡。
20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, teens as well, if you're really young.
20來歲,30來歲,40來歲,50來歲,還有十幾歲,如果你真的非常年輕。
"I'm in my mid-20s".
我20多歲。
"She's in her early teens".
"她十歲多一點。"
"He's in his late 40s".
"他40好幾了。"
You might also hear people say, "She's a 20-something marketing graduate".
你也可能聽到人們說,"她是個20來歲市場營銷專業畢業生。"
Or, "He's a 30-something accountant".
或者"他是個30多歲的會計師。"
That's if you don't know their age, or you think it would be rude to try and guess their age.
如果你不知道他們的年齡,或者你覺得猜測他人的年齡不禮貌。
The last point in this vocabulary section of the lesson, I want to talk to you about the dreaded fun fact.
這節課詞彙部分最後一點是,我想跟你說說簡直快好笑死了的事。
I've been to a lot of events, I've been to a lot of conventions, and I've had to introduce myself in a lot of English classes, and something that teachers and speakers love to ask you to do is give a fun fact about yourself.
我參加過很多活動,我參加過很多集會,我要在很多英語課程介紹自己,老師們或者演講者喜歡做的事情就是讓你說一件發生在自己身上的趣事。
I must admit, I have asked my students to provide a fun fact about themselves.
我必須承認,我讓自己的學生也說過發生在他們身上的趣事。
It's annoying, 'cause you have to stand up and say, my name is and my job is, and my fun fact is. . .
這很討厭,因為你不得不站起來說,我叫~我的工作是~,我的趣事是這樣的......
And that could be really, really daunting, intimidating.
那真的非常非常難,很可怕。
To suddenly think of an interesting fact about yourself is really, really hard.
要突然想出一件自己的趣事,非常非常難。
So, I highly recommend that you have a fun fact up your sleeve, a fun fact prepared.
所以我真的建議你,你袖子裡要藏好一個趣事小抄,一個提前準備好的趣事。
Think about an interesting fear, a weird like or dislike.
想一件有趣的又驚悚的事情,一個奇怪的喜歡的或者不喜歡的事情。
A good one is always your pet, or a strange achievement or extraordinary experience.
一個好的例子是你的寵物,一個奇怪的成就或一段非同尋常的經歷。
I always say that I have hypermobility, and then I'll just show them my thumbs or dislocate my shoulder blade.
我常說我有關節過度活動症候群,然後我給別人看我的大拇指,或者將我的肩胛骨錯位。
That is twice in a month I've done that on YouTube.
我在YouTube上面一個月能做兩次。
I need to calm down.
我要冷靜下。
Have a think, if you want to do bonus homework, share your fun fact about yourself.
想一想,如果你想要額外的作業,分享關於你自己的趣事。
But this is optional.
這只是個建議。
I know how horrible the fun fact can be.
我知道趣聞可以多嚇人。
Now, I've given you loads of different options. I've given you the basics and then you can add on the options.
我給了你們很多不同建議選項。我給了你們一些基本表達,然後你們可以自行添加建議選項。
But you'll be left with a lot of short sentences.
但是最後你會得到的事很多小短句。
Let's see how mine would look.
我們看看我的句子是什麼。
Good morning, everyone.
大家早上好。
My name is Lucy.
我叫路西。
I am 24 years old.
我24歲。
I am from Bedfordshire.
我從貝德福德郡來。
I work as an English teacher.
我是英語老師。
I am a marketing graduate.
我市場營銷畢業。
I'm a big fan of running and fitness classes.
我超迷跑步和健身。
Now, whilst all of that is grammatically correct and very clear, if I do say so myself, I think it would be a lot better if I condensed these seven sentences down into two flowing sentences.
我這麼介紹我自己的時候,我會保證語法正確清晰。我覺得若將這7個句子壓縮成2個流水句會好很多。
What do you think of this?
你覺得呢?
Good morning, everyone.
大家早上好。
My name's Lucy and I'm a 25-year-old marketing graduate from Bedfordshire.
我叫路西,我25,市場營銷畢業,來自貝德福德郡。
I now work as an English teacher, and I'm a big fan of running and fitness classes.
我現在是英語老師,特別喜歡跑步健身。
So much better, so much shorter, so much more natural.
好多了,短多了,自然多了。
See if you can condense your introduction down to two flowing sentences, minus the greeting.
如果你能將你的自我介紹壓縮成兩個流水句,不算問候語。
That could be a little sentence on its own.
那本身就是一個小句子。
I haven't removed any of the information.
我沒有刪除任何信息。
Right, I really look forward to reading all of your introductions and your fun facts, if you choose to do so.
我真的期待看到你所有介紹和趣事,如果你打算這麼做。
Feel free to correct each other and help each other.
彼此糾正彼此幫助,不要有心理負擔。
I will also be looking at the first comments, and I'll look at a handful throughout the week as well when I can.
我也會看看排名第一的評論,可以的時候,這個周我會看很多評論。
I will see you soon for another lesson.
下節課見。