#英語短語動詞#
beef 常見的是作名詞,意為「牛肉,牢騷」,它也可以作動詞,意為「老是抱怨,打發牢騷」,它唯一的一個短語動詞 beef up 貌似跟它的本意沒有關係,它是一個可分短語動詞,所表達的意思有:
to become big and muscular
變胖且肌肉發達的
to boost or develop something
促進或發展某物
to build something stronger or more efficient
建造更堅固或更有效的東西
to become fat
發胖
例如:
Google has beefed up it's search algorithm to provide the best quality search result to its users.
谷歌加強了它的搜索算法,為用戶提供最優質的搜索結果。
Enna's child has not beefed up at all in the last two years. Wonder how she manages to feed such a fussy baby.
埃娜的孩子在過去兩年裡一點都沒有長大。不知道她是怎麼餵養這麼挑剔的孩子的。
Man, my car is getting older and weaker, I want to beef it up with new engine.
夥計,我的車越來越老了,越來越弱了,我想給它裝上新引擎。
Hello Lazar, can you tell me what to eat to beef up my body in right way?
你好,拉薩,你能告訴我吃什麼來增強我的身體嗎?
I will beef up before the pageant and then lose the weight afterwards.
我要在選美前增強體力,然後再減肥。
Nobody likes your beefed up look, please stick to your weight the way it is.
沒有人喜歡你那龐大的樣子,請保持體重不變。
You will need to beef up before the contest else you cannot participate in the over 70 kilo range.
你必須在比賽前加強體力,否則你不能參加超過70公斤的比賽。
Do you think I should beef up before the wedding?
你認為我應該在婚禮加強鍛鍊嗎?
Is it possible to beef up and then come back in shape as quickly as the celebrities do?
有沒有可能像明星們一樣快速的增大肌肉,然後再恢復回來呢?
總結一下:beef up 可以意為「增加,增大,變好,變強,變得更有趣」等。
You will beef up your English a little after you learn how to use the phrasal verb "beef up".