二、能帶不定式和-ing分詞而意義不同的動詞
在forget, remember, stop, go on, try等動詞後面既能帶不定式也能帶-ing分詞,但意義不同。這類動詞又可分為以下三小類,說明如下:
A)在remember, forget之後,用-ing分詞表示動作發生在「記得」、「忘記」之前,用不定式則表示動作發生在「記得」、「忘記」之後。試比較:
forget to do sth. 忘記(去)做某事
forget doing sth. 忘記做過某事
He has forgotten to visit the Great Wall.
他忘了去遊長城(實際上沒有去)。
He will never forget visiting the Great Wall.
他將永遠不會忘記遊長城這件事(實際已遊覽過)。
I forgot to meet her in 1980.
1980年我忘了去會見她(我沒有去會見她,因為我忘了曾作過這種安排)。
I forgot meeting her in 1980.
我忘記了曾在1980年見過她(我曾見過她,但是隨後忘記了這件事)。
I forgot to close the door. 我忘記關門了。
I forgot closing the door. 我關上了門,但我忘記了。
I forgot to ask him about it. 我忘了去問他這件事。
I forgot asking him about it. 我問過他這件事,但我卻忘記了。
remember to do sth. 記得(要)做某事
remember doing sth. 記得做過某事
I remembered to fill in the form. 我記住了去填這個表。
I remembered filling in the form. 我記得我曾經填寫過這個表。
I remember to post your letter. 我記著給你去郵信。
I remember posting your letter. 我現在還記得給你郵信的事。
I remember to post the letter. 我沒有忘記要寄信。
I remember posting the letter. 我記得把信寄出去了。
4. We must remember to close that window.
我們必須記得要把那扇窗關好。
5. I remember playing there when I was little.
我記得小時候在那兒玩過。
B)在stop, go on等動詞之後,通常用-ing分詞結構作賓語;若用不定式結構,便不是賓語而是目的狀語,相當於in order to。比較:
stop doing sth. (動名詞doing作stop的賓語)
停止/不再做某事
stop to do sth. (to do作stop的目的狀語)
停下來去做某事(為了做某事而站住不動或停止正在做的事)
He stopped talking. 他停止了談話。
He stopped to talk. 他停下來去談話。
Stop talking and listen to me! 別再說話,聽我說!
On the way home I stopped to buy a newspaper. 回家途中我停下來買報紙。
It has stopped raining. 雨停了。
He stopped to pick up a piece of paper. 他停下來去撿一張紙。
We stopped taking pictures. 意思是「我們不再照相了」。
We stopped to take pictures. 意思則是「我們停下正在做的事而去照相」。
go on doing sth. 不停地做某事(或一度中止後又繼續做某事)
go on to do sth. (完成某事後)接著做另一事
1. He said nothing but just went on working.
他什麼都不說只是不停地幹活。
2. He went on working until he was 91.
他一直工作到91歲。
3. A moment later, the Class 4 runner fell and hurt his leg, but he quickly got up and went on running.
片刻之後,四班的選手摔倒了,腿受了傷,但他迅速爬起來繼續跑。
4. After a short break for coffee they went on working until 3 o』clock.
他們休息一會兒喝了咖啡,然後繼續工作到三點。
5. The book goes on to describe his experiences in the army.
本書繼而描述了他在部隊的經歷。
6. He went on to speak of his war experiences.
他轉而談到了他的戰爭經歷。
7. Go on to do the other exercise after you have finished this one.
做完這條練習後接著做另一條。
They went on learning Lesson 7.
他們繼續學習第7課。(為同一課)
They went on to learn Lesson 7.
他們接著學習第7課。(學完第6課後,接著學習第7課。)
C)在try之後,用-ing分詞結構還是用不定式結構,取決於該動詞本身的不同含義。例如:
try to do sth. 試圖/想要/設法/努力做某事
try doing sth. 試著做某事
1. What are you trying to do?
你想要做什麼?
2. He tried to control his voice.
他儘量控制他的聲音。
3. I tried to get there on time, but I was too late.
我設法準時到那裡,但遲到了很長時間。
4. I tried hard not to laugh.
我強忍住不笑出來。
5. She was trying not to cry.
她強忍住不哭出來。
6. John isn’t here. Try phoning his home number.
約翰不在這兒。給他家裡打電話試試看。
7. Try logging off and logging on again.
先註銷再重新登錄,試試看。
8.『I』ve tried everything but I can’t get the baby to sleep.』
『Have you tried taking her out in the car?』
「我試過所有方法,還是無法使嬰兒入睡。」
「試過用車載她出去走走沒有?」
You should try to eat more fruit.
你應該儘量多吃些水果。
You should try eating more fruit.
你應該試試多吃水果。(看身體會否好些)
Sheila tried to bribe the jailor.
表示「希拉企圖賄賂獄卒,但並沒有實現這一動作。」
Sheila tried bribing the jailor.
表示「希拉確實賄賂了獄卒,但不一定得到了她所需要的東西。」
歡迎使用手機、平板等行動裝置訪問中考網,2020中考一路陪伴同行!>>點擊查看