歡迎來到今天的VOA慢速專區。
今天為大家帶來一則關於學習英語的文章。
Suppose you are listening to a program in English and hear the word "borrow."
假設你在聽一個英語節目並聽到了單詞「borrow」。
You have heard this word many times but forget its meaning.
你聽過這個單詞很多遍,但忘記了意思。
So, you look up the equivalent word in your own language.
於是你在自己的語言裡查找對等的單詞。
Ahh, yes, now you remember!
啊,對,現在你想起來這個單詞的意思了!
A few days later, you see the word again, but again cannot remember its meaning. Why?
但幾天後,你再次見到這個單詞時,你卻不記得它的意思了。這是為什麼呢?
It is easy to blame yourself or think, I have a terrible memory.
你可能會直接怪自己或者覺得自己記性很差。
But your memory is not the problem.
但其實不是記性的問題。
The problem is that translating a word to its equivalent word in your language is not an effective way to learn vocabulary.
問題在於:將一個單詞轉換為自己語言中對等的單詞,這種方式並非掌握詞彙的有效方式。
This is because it does not create strong connections in the brain,
這是因為這種方式不會在大腦中建立強有力的聯繫,
something critical for remembering information.
無法建立記憶信息的關鍵要素。
To really learn words, you have to bring attention to them and connect them with mental images or your existing knowledge.
要真正地掌握單詞,就要花點心思,將單詞跟腦海裡的圖像或者已知的知識聯繫在一起。
This helps your brain recall words quickly and easily when you need them.
這種方式可以幫助你的大腦在有需要的時候快速輕易地回想起單詞。
On today's Education Tips, we will discuss three methods that use images to retain vocabulary.
在今天的《學習技巧》中,我們將討論3個通過圖像來記憶詞彙的方法。
First, let's discuss the most straightforward method: Using pictures as visual aids.
首先,我們來討論一下最直接的方法:將圖像作為視覺輔助。
Danielle Zelin is an English teacher and teacher trainer.
丹妮爾·澤林是一名英語老師、培訓師。
She has taught for nearly 25 years, including in South Africa, Latvia and Mauritius, her homeland.
她授課近25年,授課地點包括但不限於南非、拉脫維亞和自己的故鄉模里西斯。
Zelin says visual aids are important for language learners because humans think in images.
澤林表示,視覺輔助對語言學習者來說很重要,人們就是通過圖像來進行思考的。
When we hear a sentence... when somebody is talking to us, we see the pictures.
當我們聽到一個句子時……當有人跟我們說話時,我們會腦海中會出現圖像。
We don't see the words. We don't see the sentence in our brain.
我們的腦海中不會直接出現單詞和句子。
Like Yesterday, I went to the beach.
比如,「昨天,我去海灘了。」
If I tell you that, you will see me on the beach.
如果我跟你說這句話,你會腦海中會出現我在海灘的樣子,
You will not see the sentence in written form.
而不會直接出現這句話。
She uses pictures or images with her beginning students and some of her mid-level students.
她通過圖像來教新生以及部分中級學生。
Cristiane Galvao has used pictures to teach vocabulary to students of every level, from grade school to the university level.
克裡斯琴·蓋爾沃通過圖像來將不同階段的學生學習詞彙,小學到大學的都有。
Galvao, who is based in California, has taught English for 20 years, including in the United States and Brazil.
蓋爾沃在加利福尼亞教了20年代的英語,也曾在美國和巴西教授英語。
She suggests learners make visual dictionaries with pictures from the internet, for example.
比如,她建議學習者通過網上的圖像建立起視覺詞庫,
This would involve writing an English word next to its image.
包括在某個單詞的圖像旁寫下這個單詞。
Before you make the dictionary, think about your goals, she says.
她說,在詞庫構建之前,要想一下自己的目標是什麼。
If the goal is to reinforce what you already learned about, put the words in alphabetical order.
如果目標是鞏固自己已經學到的東西,那就把單詞按照字母順序排列。
And organize them into related groups.
再把單詞歸到相關的群組中。
But if the goal is to write a sentence using each new word,
但如果目標是用每個新單詞寫句子的話,
then you probably do not need to put the words into groups.
那應該就不需要把單詞歸到群組中了。
Next, let's talk about mnemonics.
接下來,我們來聊聊記憶術。
These are mental tools you can use to recall information better.
有些工具可以用來更好地記憶起一些信息。
Most mnemonics tools involve creating mental imagery to trigger your memory.
大多數記憶術工具都包括在腦海中建立起圖像來觸發記憶。
Some of you have probably already done this without realizing there is a name for it.
大家可能之前已經這樣做過,只是沒有意識到這個方法是有名字的。
One great mnemonics tool is keywords.
一個很棒的記憶術工具是關鍵詞,
This involves making a mental image that ties two similar-sounding words together.
包括在腦海中建立起圖像,把2個發音相似的單詞聯繫在一起。
Take the word "bald" as an example.
以單詞「bald」為例。
It means having little or no hair.
這個單詞的意思是頭髮很少或者沒有頭髮。
The word "ball" sounds like "bald" and can help us remember the target word.
單詞「ball」的發音跟「bald」很像,可以幫我們記住目標單詞。
In your mind, make a mental picture of a ball with a face on it.
請在你的腦海中建立起一張圖像,圖像上是帶有臉的一個球。
Then, picture it with no hair on top, maybe a little on the sides.
然後,想像圖像中頭頂上是沒有頭髮的,或許兩側有一點頭髮。
Keep this image in your mind for maybe 15 seconds.
讓這個圖像停留在腦海中大概15秒的樣子。
The next time you try to recall "bald," it will be easier because of the keyword and connected imagery.
下一次你嘗試回想「bald」的時候,或許就更容易了,因為有關鍵詞,也有聯想組合的畫面。
Alex Mullen is a biomedical engineer and one of the world's top memory competitors.
亞歷克斯·馬倫是生物醫學工程師,是世界上記憶力最好的人之一。
In 2016, he was the USA Memory Champion.
2016年,他曾獲得美國記憶力冠軍。
Mullen calls the mnemonics keywords tool "the art of memory"
馬倫將記憶術關鍵詞的工具稱為「記憶的藝術」,
because your mind makes a kind of picture stories.
因為人的大腦要製造與故事有關的圖像。
In his video on mnemonics keywords,
在他有關記憶術關鍵詞的視頻中,
he talks about remembering the target word "corral" by joining its imagery with an image of a sea coral.
他談及自己記憶目標詞彙「corral」的方法是將腦海中的畫面與海裡的珊瑚聯繫起來。
He draws a group of stick figures trapped -- or corralled – in a coral.
他畫了一些被困(corralled)在珊瑚裡的小人兒。
In real life, you would probably make a mental image rather than a drawing.
在現實生活中,大家大概會直接想像圖像,而不會畫出來。
But Mullen's drawing demonstrates the idea of connecting a mental image of the target word with its keyword.
但馬倫畫出來的這種方式很好地示範了將目標詞彙腦海畫面跟其關鍵詞聯繫在一起的想法。
One final method for today is word maps, also known as semantic maps or word webs.
今天要介紹的最後一個方法是單詞聯想圖,也叫語義圖或者單詞網。
In a word map, you write a central word or idea in the middle and connect it with lines to related words.
在單詞網的中間寫一個中心詞彙或點子,用線把它跟相關的一些單詞連起來。
This helps to build mental associations between related ideas.
這樣有助於在腦海中構建起相關電子之間的聯繫。
Danielle Zelin gives the example of the word "sharp."
丹妮爾·澤林用「sharp」舉了例子。
If you center that word, you can connect it to words of things that are sharp, such as knife, paper and scissors.
如果將這個詞作為中心詞彙的話,可以把它跟銳利的東西聯繫在一起,如刀、紙、剪刀。
Galvao says not every student will learn through a word map.
蓋爾沃說,不是每個學生都會通過單詞網來學習單詞。
But the maps can help you visualize and create a method that works for you.
但單詞網可以幫助你進行視覺化的聯想並建立起適合自己的方法。
I'm Alice Bryant.
愛麗絲·布萊恩特為您播報。
這裡是 美國之音 頻道