瀏覽器版本過低,暫不支持視頻播放
Hi, I'm Gina. Welcome to Oxford Online English!
大家好,我是吉娜。歡迎收看牛津在線英語視頻課程!
In this lesson, you can learn how to answer job interview questions in English.
Have you ever had a job interview in English?
本節課你可以學習如何用英語回答求職面試問題。
你是否有過英語求職面試?
If English is not your first language, answering job interview questions in English can add stress to the experience.
However, there are some simple, effective tips you can use to give better answers to job interview questions in clear, natural English.
如果英語並非你的母語,用英語回答求職面試問題就會平添不少壓力。
然而,有一些簡單有用的竅門你可以使用,助你用清晰自然的英語更好地回答求職面試問題。
You'll learn about these tips and tricks during this lesson!
You'll see eight common job interview questions and four different techniques you can use.
這節課就將學習這些竅門和技巧!你會了解八種常見的求職面試問題以及四種不同的實用技巧。
You'll see how to answer these common job interview questions, using the techniques we'll show you.
Let's start with our eight common job interview questions.
你會學習如何使用課程展示的技巧來回答這些常見的求職面試問題。
我們先來看看八種常見的求職面試問題吧。
Tell me a little about yourself. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
稍微談談你自己。你覺得自己五年後會做什麼?
What are your strengths/weaknesses? What is your leadership style?
你有什麼優點/缺點?你的領導風格是什麼樣的?
Can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated. . . ?
For example: can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated strong leadership?
你能給我舉個展現你……的例子嗎?例如:你能給我舉個展現你領導能力強的例子嗎?
Or: can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated excellent customer service?
Tell me about a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work.
又如:你能給我舉個展現你客戶服務出色的例子嗎?舉個你應對工作上難題的例子。
Why do you want this job? Why should we hire you?
你為什麼想要這份工作?我們為什麼要僱傭你?
What does concise mean? It means that you don't waste words.
簡潔是什麼意思?簡潔是指你不說廢話。
If you speak concisely, you get right to the point and don't add anything unnecessary to your answer.
Let's look at two questions in this section: tell me a little about yourself.
你若能說話簡潔,就能直切正題,不會在答案中加入任何廢話。
這一部分我們先看看這兩個問題:稍微談談你自己。
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
These are very common job interview questions, and they're also very open questions.
你覺得自己五年後會做什麼?這些是非常常見的求職面試問題,也是非常開放的問題。
Open questions can be dangerous. Do you know why?
開放性問題可能非常危險。你知道原因嗎?
It's because you might ramble. Ramble means to talk a lot without saying much.
因為你可能會東拉西扯。東拉西扯是說你講了很多話卻沒有多少內容。
This won't give the interviewer a good impression!
Let's start by looking at a sample answer to the question tell me a little about yourself.
這可不會給面試官留下好印象!我們先看一個回答「稍微談談你自己」這個問題的例子吧。
Well, I was born in a small town in northern Italy, where I also went to school. I studied engineering at university and then. . .
好吧,我出生在義大利北部的一個小鎮,我也在那上學。我大學學了工程學,然後……
So, after I graduated. . . I mean, I did a master's degree first, but then I worked for a small firm in my hometown for a few years, which was great fun.
After that… Okay, we can stop there.
所以,我畢業後……我是說,我先拿了碩士學位,不過然後在家鄉的一家小公司裡工作了幾年,那段經歷很有趣。再然後……行了,我們可以停下了。
Do you think this is a good answer? Why or why not?
你覺得這樣的回答好嗎?為什麼好或為什麼不好?
It's not a very good answer. Why not?
這可不是個好回答。為什麼不是呢?
There are three things the candidate does which you should try to avoid:
1. The candidate includes lots of unnecessary details.
2. He doesn't speak in full sentences.
該求職者有三個錯誤你應當避免:一,求職者說了太多沒必要的細節。二,他說話的句式不完整。
3. He doesn't have any clear direction.
If you do these things, your answer to this question will be long and unfocused.
三,他沒有什麼明確的方向。
如果你這麼做了,你對該問題的回答又長又缺乏重點。
What's the solution? You need to be more concise.
怎麼解決呢?你需要更加簡潔。
But how? First, avoid unnecessary details.
不過怎麼做呢?首先,避免談不必要的細節。
Don't give your entire work history; the interviewers can get that from your CV if they want it.
Secondly, speak in full sentences with a clear beginning and end.
不需要說出全部工作經歷;如果願意,面試官是可以從你的簡歷裡得到那些信息的。
其次,用完整句式說話,要有清晰的開頭和結尾。
This means you need to be thinking ahead while you speak. Thirdly, think about what you want to highlight in your answer, and put it at the beginning.
這是說你需要先動腦再開口。然後,思考一下你想在回答中強調什麼,先說這部分內容。
This will give your answer a clear direction.
Let's look at some examples of this: I've always loved designing and building things, so I suppose it's natural that I became an engineer.
這樣你的回答就有明確的方向了。
我們來看一些此類例子:我向來愛好設計和造東西,所以我認為我成為工程師是自然而然的。
I've worked in a variety of roles and companies, which I've learned a lot from, but now I'm ready for a new challenge. What do you think?
我在很多家公司工作過,幹過很多職位,由此學了不少,不過現在我準備好迎接新挑戰了。你怎麼看呢?
Better? It's much better.
更好吧?好多了。
Let's look at the start. Immediately, the candidate identifies a key feature (he loves designing and building things), and links it to his engineering career.
我們看看開頭。求職者立即明確了自己的一項關鍵特徵(他喜歡設計和造東西),然後將之與他的工程師職業聯繫起來。
The candidate's answer is very concise: there are no unnecessary details, and it also has a clear end. What about our second question?
這位求職者的回答就非常簡潔:沒有什麼不必要的細節,結束得也很清楚。第二個問題又如何呢?
Here's one possible answer: there are many things I could be doing. I'd like to have, you know, some sort of progress. . .
以下為一種可能的回答:有很多事我可以做。我想要多少進步一點……
What I mean is that I don't just want to be doing the same things I'm doing now. I like to be moving forward in my career, for example. . .
我是說,我不想和現在做一樣的工作。我要在職業生涯上更進一步,比如……
Err. . . I definitely see myself in a better position than I am now. Good answer?
呃……我當然想得到比現在更好的職位。回答得不錯?
Bad answer? Okay, it's not terrible, but it could be much better.
回答得不行?好吧,沒那麼糟,不過可以好好改進。
The candidate is rambling.
She doesn't make her point clear, she doesn't speak in full sentences, and she wastes words on unclear and unnecessary details.
這位求職者就在東拉西扯。她沒說明白自己的觀點,也沒用完整句式,在不明確也不必要的細節上廢話太多。
Here's a better answer: I don't know exactly, but the most important thing is that I continue to learn and grow in my career.
I'm the kind of person who needs new challenges to stay focused.
以下為更好的回答:我不是很確切,不過最重要的是我在職業生涯中不斷學習和進步。
我是那種需要新挑戰來保持專注的那類人。
I might even start my own business, because that's something I've always wanted to do at some point in my life. This is much more concise.
我甚至可能自己創業,因為我一直希望在人生中某個階段那麼做。這就簡潔得多了。
The candidate's answer has a clear beginning and end, and doesn't waste words. So, what can you do to make your answers more concise?
這位求職者的回答開頭和結尾都很清晰,且沒有廢話。所以,精簡自己的回答你能做些什麼呢?
The best way to practise is to record yourself speaking. You could record yourself answering these two questions.
最好的練習方法是錄下自己的聲音。你可以錄下對這兩個問題的回答。
Then, listen to yourself...
然後,聽聽自己的錄音。嘗試找到沒說完的句子,或找到那些對表達意思沒有任何作用的詞語。
Then, try again. Keep practising until your answer is clean and focused.
然後再試一次。一直練習,直到你的回答乾淨有重點。
Next, let's look at another point which will make your answers clearer and more structured: signposting language.
Signposting language means words and phrases which show your listener where you're going.
接下來我們看看另一個能讓回答更清晰,更有條理的要點吧:指示語。指示語是向聽眾指明你談話方向的詞語和措詞。
For example, the words "for example" are signposting language.
When I say for example, you know I'm about to give you an example.
例如,for example 就是指示語。我說 for example,你就知道我要給出例子了。
Simple, right? Yes, but it's also very important.
很簡單,對吧?沒錯,不過也非常重要。
Without signposting language, longer answers can lose focus and be hard to follow.
You'll see answers to two questions in this section: what are your strengths and weaknesses?
不使用指示語,較長的回答可能失去重點,很難聽明白。這部分你會看到以下兩個問題的回答:你有什麼優缺點?
What is your leadership style? Let's look at a sample answer to the first question.
你的領導風格是什麼樣的?我們來看一下對第一個問題的回答樣例。
I'm very good at working with other people.
In my last job, I always tried to encourage my colleagues and create a good atmosphere.
我很擅長和其他人合作。
在我上個工作中,我總是努力去鼓勵我的同事,創造不錯的氛圍。
I suppose I can be a little bit careless sometimes.
I'm not the kind of person who focuses on details.
我覺得我可能有時不大細心。我不是那種關注細節的人。
I'm very calm, and I keep a cool head in very stressful situations. What do you think?
我非常冷靜,在非常緊張的情況下我也能保持頭腦清醒。你覺得怎麼樣?
It's not bad, but it could be hard to follow. The candidate jumps around a lot.
還不錯,不過不太容易聽明白。這位求職者多次變換話題。
Adding signposting language can make a big difference. Let's see how.
加上指示語就會有很大變化。我們來看看是怎樣的效果。
Notice that the content is exactly the same.
We haven't changed the candidate's basic ideas at all.
注意內容完全是一樣的。我們一點沒改這位求職者的基本意思。
However, the answer is now much clearer and easier to follow.
Using signposting language like this can make a big difference!
不過,現在的回答就清楚多了,也更容易理解。這樣應用指示語就會產生巨大效果。
Let's look at our second question for this section. What is your leadership style?
我們來看看這部分的第二個問題。你的領導風格是什麼樣的?
Look at a sample answer which doesn't use signposting language. I'm quite a hands-off manager.
先看一個沒用指示語的回答樣例。我是個不愛幹涉的管理者。
If one of my team has a project, I'll keep an eye on things, but I don't need to be involved in every detail. I'm very approachable.
I make sure my team know they can come to me with problems or questions at any time.
如果我的團隊成員手頭有個項目,我會關注事態,不過我沒必要參與每個細節。
我非常平易近人。我確保團隊成員知道他們任何時候都能帶著問題或難題找我。
I like to lead from the front. If everyone's working late to meet a deadline, I make sure I'm there with them.
我喜歡身先士卒。如果大家要工作很晚趕工期,我確保自己也會陪伴他們一起。
Now, look at some signposting language you could use in this answer. Now, you have a job to do!
現在看看你可以在這一回答中使用的指示語。現在你有活幹了。
I want you to pause the video and put these signposting phrases into the answer you just saw. Go on, pause the video and do it now!
我希望你暫停視頻,將這些指示語插入剛才的回答中。繼續,暫停視頻,現在就做吧!
Ready? Let's look at the answers.
準備好了?我們來看看答案吧。
How did you do? Were you able to use the signposting language?
你做得怎麼樣?你會用指示詞了嗎?
Remember, signposting language might seem very simple, but don't forget about it.
Using signposting language well makes your answers much clearer and easier to follow.
記住,指示詞可能看上去很簡單,但不要忘記用。
充分利用指示詞,你的回答就會更加清晰,也更容易理解。
Now, let's look at another way to make your answers more structured, clearer and more focused.
You'll see answers to these two questions in this section: can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated. . . ?
現在我們再來看看另一種能讓回答更有條理,更清晰,更有重點的方法吧。
這部分你可以看到對以下兩個問題的回答:你能給我舉個展現你……的例子嗎?
Tell me about a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work.
These questions are likely to need longer answers.
舉個你工作上應對難題的例子。這兩個問題可能需要較長的回答。
With longer answers, it's really important that your answers have a clear structure.
Otherwise, your meaning might get lost!
回答較長,那麼回答要結構清晰就非常重要了。否則你所表達的意思就容易迷失。
There's a method you can use here; it's called the STAR method. STAR means situation, task, action, result.
這裡有個你可以運用的方法;叫做 STAR 法。STAR 指情境,任務,行動和結果。
So, you start your answer by giving the context: what was the situation, and what did you have to do?
Then, you talk about what you actually did, and what the end result was.
所以,你回答開頭要給出背景:情境是什麼樣的,你必須做什麼?
然後你再談談你實際做了什麼,以及最終結果是什麼。
Let's do an example together.
Can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated excellent customer service?
我們一起看個例子吧。你能給我舉個展現你客戶服務出色的例子嗎?
Let's use the STAR method.
There was one time when a customer's order hadn't arrived, and we didn't know what had happened to it.
我們來用 STAR 法。有一次一位客戶的訂單沒送到,我們不清楚發生了什麼。
The customer was very unhappy, and I had to try to solve the problem for him.
I arranged for a replacement to be sent, thinking we could find out what happened to the previous order later.
客戶很不高興,我必須努力為他解決這個問題。我安排重新送貨作為替代,想著我們之後可以搞清此前的訂單出了什麼事。
In the end, the customer was happy that I could solve his problem quickly and simply.
You see how following this method lets you build clear, structured answers?
最終客戶很高興我能簡單快捷地解決這一問題。
遵循這一方法,你就回答得很清楚,很有條理,你明白了這是怎麼回事了吧?
Situation. Task.
情境。任務。
Action. Result.
行動。結果。
Let's do another example. Think about our second question.
我們來看看另一個例子。思考一下第二個問題。
Tell me about a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work. This time, you're going to try!
舉個你工作上應對難題的例子。這次你來嘗試一下!
Pause the video and make an answer to this question.
Your answer should be four sentences long.
暫停視頻,回答這個問題。你的回答應該就四句話。
Follow the STAR method, one sentence for each part. How was that?
遵循 STAR 法,每個部分一句話。如何呢?
Did you find it easy to make your own answer?
Let's look at one way you could answer this question.
你覺得自己回答起來也很容易了嗎?我們來看看回答這一問題的一個例子吧。
Once, we realised three days before a project deadline that two of our teams were using incompatible software tools.
As the project manager, I had to find a way to deal with this without causing any delays.
有一次,在項目最後期限的三天前,我們發現有兩個團隊用的軟體工具不兼容。我是項目主管,必須找到解決方法,不能導致任何延誤。
I talked to both team leaders and we made a plan for one team to convert their work into a different format, with help from some staff from other departments.
It was very close but we managed to get everything done on time.
我和兩位團隊領導談了話,安排其中一個團隊將其成果轉變為不同格式,而其他部門的一些員工對此提供幫助。非常接近截止期限了,不過我們還是得以按時完成所有工作。
Again, you can see the STAR method in action: situation, task, action, result.
If you combine this STAR method with the signposting language you learned about in part two, you'll be able to express yourself clearly in English, even in longer and more complex answers.
你可以再一次看到應用了 STAR 法:情境,任務,行動,結果。將 STAR 法和第二部分學習的指示語相結合,你就能夠清晰地用英語表達自己的觀點了,即便需要做出更長,更複雜的回答。
Finally, let's look at another tip you can use to impress your interviewer and increase your chances of getting that job offer!
You're going to learn about mirroring and how it can help you.
最後,我們來看看另一個竅門,你可以用來給面試官留下深刻印象,並提高你得到工作錄用的機會。你要學習鏡像法以及這個方法對你有何幫助。
What does mirroring mean?
It means using some of the same words and expressions as the person you're talking to.
鏡像法是什麼意思呢?這是指使用和交談對象一樣的詞語和表達方式。
For example, if the interviewer asks you: how do you think your values fit our company culture?
You could start your answer by saying: I think my values are a good fit for your company culture for two reasons. One. . .
例如,如果面試官問你:你覺得你的價值觀念與我們公司文化如何相合呢?
你的回答可以這麼起頭:我覺得我的價值觀念非常適合你們的公司文化,原因有兩點。其一是……
Mirroring has several benefits. First, it keeps your answers focused.
鏡像法有許多好處。首先,這讓你的回答有重點。
By using the same words and phrases, your answer will be relevant.
More importantly, it shows the interviewer that you're listening and that you care about the questions and the company.
使用相同的詞語和措詞,你的回答就會切題。
更重要的是這向面試官表明,你有在聽,而且你對問題和他們公司很在意。
Mirroring is powerful. We unconsciously mirror people when we like or respect them.
鏡像法作用很大。我們喜愛或尊敬他人時會無意中模仿他們。
Using mirroring consciously will help you to make a better impression.
You should start by researching the company you're applying to.
有意使用鏡像法可以幫助你留下更好的印象。你應當先從調查你要申請的公司開始。
How do they describe themselves?
What adjectives do they use on their website or in their advertising?
他們如何描述自己?他們在網站或廣告中用了哪些形容詞?
Also, read the job advertisement carefully.
Pay attention to the words they use to describe the candidate they're looking for.
另外,仔細閱讀招聘廣告。注意他們用來形容理想求職者的詞語。
Use these words in your answers. Let's think about this question: why do you want this job?
在你的回答中用上這些詞語。我們來思考一下這個問題:你為什麼想要這份工作?
Imagine you're applying to a company which describes itself as "innovative" and "forward-looking". In the job advertisement, they say they want someone who is "creative" and "flexible".
設想你申請一家公司,該公司用「創新性」和「前瞻性」形容自己。招聘廣告中,他們說想要「有創造力」和「善於變通」的人才。
Here's a good sample answer: creativity is very important to me, and I've always wanted to work in an environment where I can innovate and find my own solutions to challenges.
I also feel that your company will continue to evolve in the future, and I like the idea of contributing to that development.
以下為不錯的回答樣例:對我而言創造力非常重要,我一直希望自己的工作環境能允許我創新,遭遇挑戰時允許我能尋求自己的解決方法。
我還覺得你們公司在未來會繼續進步,我希望能為貴公司的發展做出貢獻。
The candidate doesn't use all four words, but she does reference all four ideas.
For example, instead of "forward-looking", she talks about the company evolving in the future.
這位求職者沒全部使用那四個詞語,不過那四種理念她都有提及。比如,沒用「前瞻性」這個詞,她談到對方公司會在未來繼續進步。
In this way, she shows that she's in tune with the company's values. Let's do one more example.
這樣的話,她就表明自己和該公司的價值觀念相合了。我們再看一個例子。
Imagine you're applying to a company which describes itself as "commanding respect" and which talks with pride about its long history.
In the job advertisement, they say they want someone who has "great communication skills" and "passion for helping others".
設想你申請一家公司,該公司形容自己「博得尊敬」,並且很自豪地談及自己的悠久歷史。
在招聘廣告中,他們說想要擁有「優秀溝通技能」和「幫助他人的熱情」的人才。
During the interview, they ask: why should we hire you?
Here's a good sample answer, using mirroring.
面試中,他們問:我們為什麼要僱傭你?以下為不錯的回答樣例,用了鏡像法。
I believe that great customer service starts with good communication, which is a strength of mine.
I also think that in customer service, you need to care about what you're doing.
我相信優秀的客戶服務從良好的溝通開始,而這恰是我的強項之一。我也認為客戶服務中你需要在意自己在做什麼。
I care about helping others and as such I believe you would find me to be a respectful and effective team member who can fit with the established traditions of your company.
Again, the candidate doesn't necessarily use the words directly, but he does reference all four of the ideas.
我在意幫助他人,因此我相信你會覺得我在團隊中值得尊敬,很有作用,十分符合貴公司由來已久的傳統。
還是這樣,求職者未必要直接套用那些詞,但他提及了全部四種理念。
Be careful if you use mirroring; you don't want to sound like a robot!
This is why you sometimes need to change words and phrases slightly, instead of repeating them again and again.
使用鏡像法時要小心了;你不想聽上去像個機器人吧!
這就是為什麼有時需要稍微更換詞語和措詞,而不是一遍遍重複說那幾個詞。
Now, you've seen four effective techniques you can use to give better answers to job interview questions in English.
Remember: be concise, use signposting language, use the STAR method to structure longer answers, and mirror key words and phrases.
現在你已經學習了四種實用技巧,以此你可以更好地用英語回答求職面試問題了。
記住:保持簡潔,使用指示語,運用 STAR 法來使較長回答更有條理,映射關鍵詞語和措詞。
We hope it was useful. Good luck if you have a job interview coming up soon!
我們希望這能有所作用。如果你不久就要求職面試了,那助你好運!
Thanks for watching! See you next time!
感謝收看!下節課再見!