繪本賞析
Dali doesn’t know who he is.「Am I a monkey? Am I a koala? Am I a porcupine?」
達利不知道自己是誰。我是一隻猴子嗎?我是一隻樹袋熊嗎?我是一頭豪豬嗎?
Dali doesn’t know where he should live.
達利部知道自己應該住在哪裡。
「Should I live in a cave? Should I live in a bird’s nest? Should I live on a spider web?」
我應該住在山洞裡嗎?我應該住在鳥窩裡嗎?我應該住在蜘蛛網上嗎?
Dali doesn’t know what he should eat.「Should I eat fish?」
達利不知道自己應該吃什麼。我應該吃魚嗎?
Should I eat potatoes? Should I eat worms?」
我應該吃土豆嗎?我應該吃蟲子嗎?
Dali doesn’t know why his feet are so big.
達利不知道自己的腳為什麼那麼大。
「Is it for water-skiing?」「Is it for mice to sit on?」 Is it a rain shield?
是用來滑水的嗎?是用來給老鼠坐的嗎?是用來遮雨的嗎?
Dali sees birds living on trees, so he decides to live on a tree.
達利看見鳥住在樹上,就決定自己也要住在樹上。
Dali sees squirrels eating acorns, so he decides to eat acorns.But he still doesn’t know why his feet are so big.
達利看見松鼠吃橡子就決定自己也要吃橡子,但他還是不知道自己的腳為什麼那麼大。
One day, all the rabbits in the forest came to Dali’s tree in a panic.
一天,樹林裡的兔子們都慌慌張張的跑到達利的樹下,
「You』ve got to come down NOW, Dali!」 They shouted.
「你得趕緊下來,達利!」他們大喊。
「Jessie’s coming!」「Who’s Jessie?」 Dali asked.
潔西來啦!潔西是誰?達利問。
The rabbits had no time to answer questions, they dispersed all over the lawn and disappeared into their rabbit holes.
兔子們急得沒工夫回答。他們在草地上四下散開,消失在地洞裡。
Dali stayed in his tree, ate another acorn, still wondering about his feet.
達利待在他的樹上,又啃了一個橡子,還在琢磨他的大腳。
Jessie slowly crept out of the shrubs. Her teeth were as sharp as shards of glass.
潔西慢慢地鑽出灌木叢,她的牙齒像碎玻璃一樣鋒利,
Her eyes were as agile as fleas. Jessie went around and and around the rabbit holes, but didn’t see even one rabbit.
她的眼睛像跳蚤一樣靈活。潔西在地洞旁轉來轉去,可是一隻兔子也沒見著。
Jessie looked up, Dali waved.
潔西往上看,達利揮揮手。
Jessie began to climb the tree, all the rabbits raised their heads above the hole and shuddered all over.
潔西開始爬樹,其他的兔子都探出鼻子,渾身發抖。
「Hello.」 Dali said to Jessie.「Are you a beaver?
你好,達利對潔西說,你是一隻獾嗎?
Are you an elephant? Are you a platypus?」
你是一頭大象嗎?你是一隻鴨嘴獸嗎?
Jessie crept closer and closer. 「No, my friend,」 she said in a low voice 「I’m a weasel!」
潔西越爬越近,不,我的朋友,她低聲說,我是黃鼠狼!
「Do you live in a pond? Do you live on the embankment? Do you live in thedoghouse?」
你住在池塘裡嗎?達利問。你住在水壩上嗎?你住在狗窩裡嗎?
Jessie came even closer. 「No, my friend.」 She said while hissing. 「I live in the darkest corner of the forest.」
潔西爬得更近啦!不,我的朋友,她邊說邊發出嘶嘶的聲音,我住在樹林裡最黑暗的角落!
「Do you eat cabbage? Do you eat insects? Do you eat fruit?」
你吃圓白菜嗎?達利問,你吃昆蟲嗎?你吃水果嗎?
Jessie came right next to Dali. 「No, my friend.」 She said in a terrible voice 「I eat rabbits! Rabbits like YOU!」
潔西爬到達利身邊,不,我的朋友,她用刺耳的聲音說,我吃兔子!像你一樣的兔子!
Dali was shocked. 「I’m a … rabbit?」Jessie nodded, licked her lips and jumped!
達利非常吃驚,我是...兔子...?他結結巴巴地說。潔西點點頭,舔舔嘴唇,然後一跳!
Without even thinking, Dali turned around as fast as lightning, kicked with his super large feet. Jessie flew across the sky, to far, far away, back to wherever he came from.
達利想都沒想,他像閃電一樣轉過身,用他的超級大腳使勁一踢,潔西過天空,遠遠的,遠遠的,從哪兒來,又飛回哪去了!
All the rabbits were jumping up and down, cheering, hugging each other.
「You’re a hero, Dali!」 They shouted.
其他的兔子們跳啊!歡呼啊!還互相擁抱,你是一個英雄,達利!
「That’s weird,」 Dali said, 「I thought I was a rabbit.」
他們大喊。真奇怪,達利說,我還以為我是一隻兔子呢。