How do you know you're real?
你如何意識到自己的真實存在?
It's an obvious question until you try to answer it, but let's take it seriously.
這是個顯而易見的問題,但回答起來不容易,讓我們嚴肅地討論一下。
How do you really know you exist?
你如何才能真正意識到自己的存在?
In his "Meditations on First Philosophy," Rene Descartes tried to answer that very question, demolishing all his preconceived notions and opinions to begin again from the foundations.
勒內·笛卡爾在他的《第一哲學沉思集》中,試圖回答這個問題,他推翻了所有先入為主的概念,從根源上重新思考。
All his knowledge had come from his sensory perceptions of the world.
他所有的知識都來源於他的感官對這個世界的洞察。
Same as you, right?
你也是這樣,對嗎?
You know you're watching this video with your eyes, hearing it with your ears.
你知道自己在用眼睛看這個視頻,用你的耳朵聽它的聲音。
Your senses show you the world as it is.
你的感官告訴你這個世界是什麼樣的。
They aren't deceiving you, but sometimes they do.
感覺器官並不會欺騙你,但有時候也會欺騙。
You might mistake a person far away for someone else, or you're sure you're about to catch a flyball, and it hits the ground in front of you.
從遠處看,你或許會把一個人當作另外一個人,或者你確定可以抓住飛來的棒球,可是它卻掉在地上。
But come on, right here and now, you know what's right in front of you is real.
但是不管怎樣,此時此刻,你知道面前的一切都是真實的。
Your eyes, your hands, your body: that's you.
你的眼睛、你的手、你的身體,組成了你。
Only crazy people would deny that, and you know you're not crazy.
只有瘋子才會否認這個事實,你知道自己不是瘋子。
Anyone who'd doubt that must be dreaming.
對這一點持懷疑態度的人一定是在做夢。
Oh no, what if you're dreaming? Dreams feel real.
噢對了,如果你真的是在做夢呢?夢給人真實的感覺。
You can believe you're swimming, flying or fighting off monsters with your bare hands, when your real body is lying in bed.
你覺得自己在遊泳、在飛翔、在赤手空拳地和怪物搏鬥,可你的身體依然躺在床上。
No, no, no. When you're awake, you know you're awake.
不不不,你在醒過來之後知道自己是清醒的。
Ah! But when you aren't, you don't know you aren't, so you can't prove you aren't dreaming.
可是,當你睡著的時候,你並不知道自己是睡著的,所以你並不能證明你現在不是在做夢。
Maybe the body you perceive yourself to have isn't really there.
或許你感知到的自己的身體,其實並不存在。
Maybe all of reality, even its abstract concepts, like time, shape, color and number are false, all just deceptions concocted by an evil genius!
或許所有的現實,甚至那些抽象概念,包括時間、形狀、顏色和數字,都不是真實的,所有的一切都是一個邪惡天才捏造出來的。
No, seriously. Descartes asks if you can disprove the idea that an evil genius demon has tricked you into believing reality is real.
嚴肅地說,不是這樣的。笛卡爾在書中問到,你是否可以證明的確沒有一個邪惡的天才欺騙你相信周圍的世界是真實的?
Perhaps this diabolical deceiver has duped you.
或許這個邪惡的騙子真的欺騙了你。
The world, your perceptions of it, your very body.
讓你相信周圍的世界,自己的身體。
You can't disprove that they're all just made up, and how could you exist without them? You couldn't! So, you don't.
既然無法證明這一切都不是捏造出來的,那麼你怎麼能在沒有它們的環境中生存呢?你不能,所以你並不是在這樣的環境中生存的。
Life is but a dream, and I bet you aren't row, row, rowing the boat merrily at all, are you?
生活就是一場夢,我相信你絕不是永遠興高採烈地劃著這艘船,對嗎?
No, you're rowing it wearily like the duped, nonexistent doof you are/aren't.
當然不是,你就像一個受騙的傻瓜,或是存不存在的傻帽。
Do you find that convincing? Are you persuaded?
這麼說有道理嗎?你被說服了嗎?
If you aren't, good; if you are, even better, because by being persuaded, you would prove that you're a persuaded being.
如果還沒有被說服,很好,如果已經被說服,那更好了,因為如果被說服了,說明你是一個有思想的存在。
You can't be nothing if you think you're something, even if you think that something is nothing because no matter what you think, you're a thinking thing, or as Descartes put it, "I think, therefore I am," and so are you, really.
如果你認為自己是個人物,那就不能說你什麼都不是,即使你認為自己「什麼都不是」,因為無論你怎樣認為,你都是一個有思想的個體。或者就像笛卡爾所說:「我思故我在。」你也是這樣,真的。