Today we answer a question from Emad.
今天我們將回答來自伊馬德的提問。
He writes, 「I would like to know the difference between what do you do? and what are you doing?
他寫道:「我想知道「What Do You Do?」和「What Are You Doing?」這兩句話的區別。
When do you use both?」
什麼時候用這兩句話?」
Dear Emad,Those are excellent questions.
親愛的伊馬德:問得非常好。
One question is about a person's work or profession, and the other is about what action a person is doing at the moment, or in the near future.
這兩個問題,一個是對某人的工作或職業進行提問,另一個是對某人當時或不久的將來在做什麼進行提問。
We will take the work example first.
我們將首先以對工作的提問為例。
Imagine that you meet someone at a party.
假設你在聚會上遇到某人。
The person asks you: 『What do you do?』
對方問你:『What do you do?』( 『你是做什麼的?』)
What they mean is: 『What do you do for a living? Or 『What is your profession?』
他們的意思是:『你以什麼謀生?』 或『你的職業是什麼?』
You would answer them by stating the kind of work you do, like this:「I am a writer,」 or 「I am a doctor」 or 「I drive abus.」
你可以回答他們你所做的工作,例如:「我是作家」或「我是醫生」或「我開公共汽車」。
Now, on to the other question.
現在,轉到另一個問題。
Maybe you get a phone call and your friend asks:「What are you doing?」
可能你接到一個電話,你的朋友問:「你在做什麼?」
They are not asking what you do for aliving, but what activity are you doing at that time.
他們不是在問你以什麼謀生,而是在那時你正在做什麼活動。
Your answer might be something like this:「I'm reading a book. It's great!」
你可能這樣回答:「我在讀一本書。書很棒!」
Or 「I'm cooking dinner for the family.」
或者「我正在為家人做飯。」
Sometimes, the question 「What do you do…」may include a day or period of time.
有時,提問「What do you do…」 時間上可能涵蓋一天或一段時間。
For example, someone may ask, 「What do you do on weekends?」
例如,有人可能會問:「What do you do on weekends?」( 「你周末做什麼?」 )
In this case, they are asking what activities you usually do on weekends.
在這種情況下,他們問的是你通常在周末做什麼活動。
They are not asking about your profession.
而不是在問你的職業。
Here is an example of what you might say:「I usually take things easy, go out with friends or do other activities, like exercise or go for a run.」
你可能會這樣說:「我通常會做些輕鬆的事情,和朋友外出或進行其他活動,比如鍛鍊或跑步。」
However, when you add a time period to「What are you doing?,」 you are asking what activity the person is doing at a specific time in the near future.
但是,如果在提問「What are you doing?」中加上時間段,就是在問某人在不久的將來某一特定時間內正在從事的活動。
Here is an example:「What are you doing after work today?」
例如:「今天下班後你要做什麼?」
One might say:「I am thinking of going out to dinner.
這個人可能會說:「我正在考慮出去吃晚餐。
Do you want to come with me?」
你想和我一起去嗎?」
And That' s Ask a Teacher!
以上就是本期《名師答疑》的全部內容。
I'm Anne Ball.
我是安妮·鮑爾。