Hello everyone, and welcome back to English with Lucy.
大家好,歡迎回到跟著 Lucy 學英語。
Today, I have got 25 stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verbs for you.
今天我有25個升級版的超級美好的短語動詞要呈現給你們。
These phrasal verbs are going to help you expand and build your vocabulary.
這些短語動詞會幫助你擴大並建立你的詞彙。
I've chosen them because they have beautiful meanings, or they sound beautiful, or they might just be really fun to say.
我選擇它們的原因是它們的意義美好,或者它們聽起來很好聽,或者它們說起來很有趣。
Before we get started, I would just like to thank the sponsor of today's video.
在我們開始之前,我想要感謝今天視頻的贊助商。
It Is italki.
那就是 italki。
And if you haven't heard of italki before, it's a huge online database of both native and non-native teachers, who give one-to-one video lessons, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
如果你們之前沒有聽說過 italki,它是一個大型的在線資料庫,上面有母語者老師和非母語者老師,他們能全年無休地給你進行一對一視頻課程。
You can learn English and over 130 other languages from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a stable internet connection.
只要你有穩定的網絡連接,那麼你就可以在世界任何地方學習英語和超過130種其他的語言。
It's an incredibly affordable way of learning a language, much cheaper than a language academy or offline tutor.
它是學習語言的非常划算的方法,比在線教師或語言學校要便宜得多。
So many of my students message me, and ask me how they can access and talk to native speakers.
很多學生給我發信息問我如何遇見母語者並跟他們交談。
Italki is a great option, because they have the qualified teachers, but they also have community teachers, who will practise conversation with you.
Italki是一個非常好的選擇,因為它們不僅擁有有資質的老師,它們還有社區導師跟你練習對話。
They've given me a special offer to pass on to you.
它們有一個折扣要我給你們。
You will receive $10 worth of italki credits in your student wallet, 48 hours after making your first purchase of any amount.
當你們完成第一次任意購買48小時後,你們會在你們的學院錢包裡收到價值10美元的Italki優惠券。
That could be a free lesson.
這相當於一節免費的課程。
All you have to do is click on the link in the description box, and sign up.
你們只需要點擊描述欄中的連結註冊。
Right, let's get started with our 25 stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verbs.
好的,我們開始學習25個升級版超級美妙的短語動詞吧。
I can't believe that came out perfectly all at once.
我無法相信這句話說得一氣呵成。
Number one is to crow about something.
第一個就是吹噓某事。
To crow about something.
吹噓某事。
This means to brag about something, or to boast excessively about something.
這個短語的意思是吹牛,或者說誇大其詞。
For example, I wish Amanda would stop crowing about her promotion.
比如,我希望阿曼達能夠停止吹噓她的晉升。
I wanted that position.
我本來想要那個職位。
Number two is to fawn over.
第二個就是諂媚。
To fawn over something.
諂媚某事。
We're going with the animal theme, to begin with.
我們一開始的短語都是跟動物有關的。
This means to flatter someone excessively.
這個短語的意思是過度奉承某人。
To be too over the top with them, give them too many compliments.
過度鼓吹他們,給他們過多的讚美。
For example, stop fawning over my grandmother.
比如,別再跟我祖母諂媚了。
You are embarrassing me!
你讓我感到難堪!
Number three is to bounce something off someone.
第三個是試探某事。
To bounce off, to bounce something off.
商討,商討某事。
You'll notice that the something can go between bounce and off, the verb and the preposition.
你會注意到動詞bounce和介詞off中間可以放其它的詞。
This is because it's a separable phrasal verb, and I've highlighted which ones are separable in the list.
這是因為這是一個可分離短語動詞,我已經在列表裡面強調了哪些是可以分離的。
To bounce something off someone means to talk about something, usually an idea, in order to receive feedback or opinions.
商討某事的意思是談論某事,往往是一個想法,從而獲得反饋或觀點。
This is a common business term, more than anything else.
它本質上是一個常見的商務名詞。
For example, I'd like to take you out for lunch and bounce a few ideas off you.
比如,我想帶你出去吃午餐,然後跟你商討一些想法。
We're in the final stages of planning a big campaign.
我們已經到策劃某個大活動的最後階段了。
Number four is another separable one.
第四個短語也可以分開。
It's to mull something over.
那就是琢磨某事。
To mull over.
琢磨。
This means to think deeply and seriously about something, to really consider something.
它的意思是深入嚴肅地思考某事,認真考慮某事。
For example, I can't decide which university to choose.
比如,我無法決定選哪個大學。
I'm going to spend the weekend mulling over my options.
我這個周末要來琢磨一下我的選擇。
Number five, I love this one.
第五個,我很喜歡這個短語。
This is to plod along.
那就是穩步前行。
To plod along.
穩步前行。
Now, the verb, to plod, means to walk laboriously or heavily.
動詞plod的意思是費力或沉重地行走。
To plod along means to progress, it doesn't necessarily mean to walk, to progress at a slow but steady rate.
穩步前行的意思是進步,不一定是指走路,而是以一個緩慢但穩定的速率進步。
For example, Sheila is still plodding along with her latest attempt at a romance novel.
比如,茜拉仍然在穩步完成她最新嘗試寫的愛情小說。
She's taking it very slowly, but making steady progress.
她進展得很慢,但是在穩步進步。
Number six is to keep something up.
第六個是保持某事。
To keep something up.
保持某事。
This means to continue or maintain a course of action.
這個短語的意思是持續或維持某個行為。
This is often used as a motivational phrase.
這個短語經常被用作一個激勵性的短語。
Keep it up, keep up the good work.
保持,繼續好好工作。
Maintain your course of good action.
維持你的正面行為。
For example, she's been working so hard on her course, I hope she can keep it up.
比如,她一直兢兢業業地做她的事業,我希望她能夠保持。
Number seven is to figure something out.
第七個是弄清楚某事。
To figure something out.
弄清楚某事。
This means to solve or discover the source of a problem.
這個短語的意思是解決或發現某個問題的源頭。
For example, I just need to figure out why my hot tap is cold, and my cold tap is hot.
比如,我只是需要弄清楚為什麼我的熱水龍頭是冷的,而冷水龍頭是熱的。
This is a problem, this has happened to me in the past.
這是個問題,我過去遇到過這樣的問題。
Number eight is to see something or somebody off.
第八個是看某事或某人離開。
To see something off.
看某事離開。
This has two meanings that we're going to discuss.
我們要討論這個短語的兩層意思。
The first meaning relates more to somebody.
第一層意思更多的是跟某人有關。
To see somebody off.
給某人送行。
It means to go to the place that somebody is leaving from, in order to say goodbye to them.
它的意思是去某人要離開的地方,為了跟他們告別。
For example, I'll come to the port to see you all off on the cruise ship.
比如,我回去港口給你們所有人送行,看你們坐上郵輪。
The next meaning works well with both someone and something.
第二個意思可以跟某人和某物連用。
It means to defeat someone or something.
它的意思是擊敗某人或某物。
Or to deal with them effectively, so that they can do no more harm or damage.
或者有效地處置它們,這樣它們就不會再產生傷害或破壞了。
For example, Oh, don't worry about my horrible aunt coming to my wedding, I'll see her off.
比如,哦,別擔心我可怕的嬸嬸要來我的婚禮,我會搞定她的。
I'll deal with her, get rid of her.
我來對付她,把她趕走。
It can be used in slang.
它可以用於俚語。
It's often used to talk about alcoholic drinks or bad substances.
它常常被用來談論酒精飲料或不好的東西。
Or maybe a naughty dessert, or unhealthy food.
也許是有害的點心或不健康的食品。
Something that's seen as a treat.
被認為是招待的東西。
And it basically means to finish it, but we're kind of implying to defeat it 'cause it's such a bad thing.
而且它的意思是終結,但是我們可以說是在暗示擊敗它,因為它很糟糕。
For example, would you like me to help you see off that last bottle of wine?
比如,你需要我幫你處理掉那最後一瓶酒嗎?
Number nine is to bash something in.
第九個是打壞某物。
To bash something in.
打壞某物。
This means to strike and dent, or damage something.
它的意思是給某物打上凹痕,或破壞某物。
For example, your stray cricket ball bashed in my Mini Cooper.
比如,你遊走的板球把我的Mini Cooper砸了個凹痕。
That's not true, but it did happen to my mom.
這不是真的,但是我媽媽確實遇過這事。
She once parked her car next to a cricket pitch, only for five minutes, and it was bashed in when we returned to it.
她曾經把她的車停在一個板球場旁邊,只過了五分鐘,我們回來的時候就發現車子被砸了一個坑。
Number 10 is to call something off.
第十個是叫停某事。
To call something off.
叫停某事。
This means to cancel an event or an agreement.
它的意思是取消一個活動或一個協議。
For example, if I behave badly enough, William might have to call off the wedding.
比如,如果我表現得很不好,威廉可能會取消婚禮。
I always manage to mention my wedding in every single video.
我在每個視頻裡都提到了我的婚禮。
There's still a year to go, you know.
還有一點才舉行,你知道的。
It's gonna be a long year, for you and for me.
與你們與我都是漫長的一年。
Number 11 is to do something up.
第十一個是裝點某物。
To do something up.
裝點某物。
This means to repair or decorate a building, so that it looks attractive.
它的意思是修理或裝飾一個建築,這樣它會看起來很吸引人。
For example, we are hoping to buy a derelict house and do it up.
比如,我們希望買一個被廢棄的房子,然後把它裝點起來。
It can also mean to fasten something, usually clothing or jewellery.
它還可以表示把某物繫上,一般是衣物或首飾。
For example, could you help me do up my dress?
比如,你能幫我把裙子穿好嗎?
It appears to have shrunk.
它好像縮水了。
Number 12 is to muster up.
第十二個是鼓起。
To muster up.
鼓起。
It can be separable as well.
它也可以被拆開。
To muster something up.
鼓起某物。
This means to gather or bring together.
它的意思是聚集。
For example, I'll see if I can muster up the courage to talk to my horrible boss.
比如,我要看看我是否能鼓起勇氣去跟我可怕的上司談談。
Number 13 is to gobble something up.
第十三個是蠶食。
To gobble something up.
蠶食。
This means to use a lot of something very quickly.
它的意思是快速使用大量的東西。
It usually refers to eating.
它常指吃東西。
For example, you must've been hungry.
比如,你肯定很餓了。
You've gobbled up half of my popcorn too.
你把我一半的爆米花都蠶食掉了。
Looking at no one, William.
別看別人,就是你,威廉。
Number 14 is to face up to.
第十四個是直面。
To face up to.
直面。
This means to accept that a difficult situation exists.
它的意思是接受某個困境的存在。
For example, wedding talk incoming.
比如,又要談婚禮了。
She'll have to face up to the fact that peonies aren't in season for her September wedding.
她得直面芍藥花不在她九月的婚禮的時候盛開這個事實。
Can we have a moment of silence, please?
我們能安靜點嗎,謝謝。
I love peonies.
我喜歡芍藥。
I'm going to go and view flowers with my mom tomorrow, so we'll see what we can find.
明天我要跟我的媽媽去看花,所以我們要看看能找到什麼花。
Number 15 is to stick up for.
第十五個是力挺。
To stick up for.
力挺。
This means to support or defend something or someone, especially when they are being criticised.
意思是支持或維護某事或某人,尤其是當他們被批評的時候。
For example, I don't need your support.
比如,我不需要你的支持。
I can stick up for myself!
我能自己挺住!
Number 16 is to weed out.
第十六個是。
To weed out.
排除。
This can also be separable, but it's not as common.
它也可以拆開,但是不是那麼常見。
To weed something out.
把某事排除。
Yeah, you can do that.
是的,你可以這麼說。
This means to remove people or things from a group.
它的意思是將人或物從一個團體中移除。
For example, our wedding invitation list is too long, we're going to have to weed some people out.
比如,我們的婚禮邀請名單太長了,我們得排除掉一些人。
Number 17 is to run something by someone.
第十七個是告知某人某事。
To run something by.
告知某人某事。
This means to tell someone about a plan or an idea, so that they can give you their feedback and opinions.
它的意思是告訴某人一個計劃或想法,這樣他們能夠給你他們的反饋和觀點。
For example, Have you run this by David?
比如,你告訴大衛這事了嗎?
I think he'll like it.
我想他會喜歡的。
Number 18 is to stock up on.
第十八個是囤貨。
To stock up on.
囤貨。
To stock up on.
囤貨。
This means to buy a large amount of something, so that you have enough for the future.
意思是大量地購買某物,這樣你以後會有足夠的東西。
My example, believe it or not, is true.
我的例子,信不信由你,是真實的。
I listened to a radio programme about this the other day.
這是我前幾天在電臺節目中聽到的。
Many Brits are stocking up on toilet roll in preparation for Brexit.
很多英國人囤貨捲紙為脫歐做準備。
This is true.
這是真的。
Toilet paper sales have increased, both times that we've come up to the deadline of Brexit.
廁紙的銷量上升了,同樣的是脫歐的期限也即將來臨。
We've had multiple deadlines.
我們有好幾個期限。
But yeah, toilet roll sales increased, which I love.
但是,是的,捲紙的銷量上升了,我很喜歡這一點。
I'm sure there's a very valid and sensible reason behind this, but I like to think that people are going to the toilet more, because they're so nervous.
我確信這個事件背後肯定有合理的解釋,但是我覺得是人們因為過於緊張而更加頻繁地去上廁所。
Number 19 is to harp on about.
第十九個是喋喋不休。
To harp on about.
喋喋不休。
This means to talk or complain about something many times.
意思是過多談論或抱怨某事。
For example, can you stop harping on about how great Miranda looked at the party?
比如,你能別再對米蘭達在排隊上的美貌而喋喋不休了嗎?
Number 20 is two crank something out.
第二十個是量產。
To crank something out.
量產某物。
This means to produce something in large amounts, like a machine does.
意思是大量生產某物,就像機器做的那樣。
For example, how on earth did I manage to crank out 25 stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verbs?
比如,我到底是怎麼成功地量產出25個高級的美妙動詞短語的?
I said it again.
我又說了一遍!
Number 21 is to grass on.
第二十一個是檢舉。
To grass on.
檢舉。
And this, I mean the meaning isn't necessarily beautiful.
對於這個短語我要說,意思不一定是要很美好的。
It's quite a disloyal thing to do, but it means to tell the police, or someone in a position of authority, about something bad that someone has done.
這樣做很不忠誠,但是它的意思是告訴警方,或官方機構裡的人某個人做過的壞事。
For example, I can't believe that Mary grassed on Bob to the police about his illegal chicken farm.
比如,我不敢相信瑪麗向警方檢舉了羅伯非法養雞場的事。
Big issues in the farming community these days, grassers.
如今農業社區裡的大事,檢舉者。
Number 22 is to lag behind.
第二十二個是落後。
To lag behind.
落後。
This means to move or happen at a slower pace than someone or something else.
這個短語的意思是以慢於他人或其它事物的速度移動或發生。
For example, I found maths really hard at school, and I lagged behind most of my peers.
比如,我發現數學很難,我落後於我的大部分同齡人。
Number 23 is to build someone or something up.
第二十三個是輿論造勢。
To build something up.
輿論造勢。
This means to talk about something or someone in a very positive way, so that people are impressed with it, or them.
這個短語的意思是以一種積極的方式談論某人或某事,這樣人們會對它或它們印象深刻。
For example, they've built her up to be something that she really isn't.
比如,他們把她塑造成了一個不是原本的她的東西。
We can also build up someone's hopes.
我們還可以讓某人抱有希望。
This means to make someone think that something good is going to happen when it probably isn't.
意思是讓某人認為好事會發生,儘管很可能不會。
For example, I don't want to build up his hopes if she isn't coming back.
比如,如果她不會回來的話,我不想讓他抱有希望。
Number 24 is to ask after.
第二十四個是追問。
To ask after.
追問。
This one is quite simple to understand.
這個很容易理解。
It means to ask about someone, normally.
一般它的意思是詢問某人的事情。
Can be something sometimes.
有時候也可以接某事。
For example, oh, everyone was asking after you at the party.
比如,每個人都在派對上追問你的事情。
I just thought I'd include it, 'cause I think it's nice when someone asks after you.
我選擇這個短語是因為我認為如果有人追問你的事情是一件好事。
And it's also something we use a lot.
而且我們也經常用這個短語。
But you might think, why are you saying after instead of about?
但是你可能會想,為什麼是after而不是about呢?
We just like to complicate things in English.
英語就是喜歡把事情搞複雜。
And the last stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verb, number 25, is to jot down.
最後一個高級的美妙短語動詞,第二十五個就是速記。
To jot something down.
速記。
This means to write or note down very quickly and briefly.
這個短語的意思是快速且簡潔地寫下或做筆記。
For example, I highly suggest you jot down these 25 stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verbs.
比如,我強烈建議你們速記下這25個高級的美妙的短語動詞。
Yes!
好的!
Right, that's it for today's lesson.
好了,今天的課程就到這裡。
Your homework, as if you think I would forget about that.
你們的家庭作業,你們以為我會忘記吧。
There's always someone in the class, who reminds the teacher that there's homework when they've forgotten.
上課的時候總會有人在老師忘記的時候提醒老師要布置作業。
I used to be that person.
我就是那個人。
Your homework is to write five stunningly beautiful advanced phrases, with five of these stunningly beautiful advanced phrasal verbs.
你們的家庭作業是選五個高級的美妙的短語動詞寫五句話。
Go, go, go.
加油吧。
Please do that in the comment section down below.
請在下面的評論區完成作業。
Don't forget to check out italki.
別忘記查看italki。
The link to sign up and claim your $10 worth of italki credit is in the description box.
註冊並獲取10美元的italki優惠券的連結就在描述欄裡。
Don't forget to connect with me on all of my social media.
別忘記在我所有的社交媒體上聯繫我們。
I've got my Facebook, my Instagram, my Twitter.
我有臉書、INS、推特。
Someone said they liked the way I said Twitter last week, so I've decided to make it over the top.
有人說他們喜歡我上周說推特的口音,所以我決定把它置頂。
And my personal channel, My Lucy Bella Earl channel, where I post my life.
還有我的個人頻道,我的 Lucy Bella Earl 頻道,在那裡我上傳我的生活相關視頻。
I will see you soon for another lesson.
我們下節課再見。
Muah.
麼麼噠。
For example, Sheila is still plodding along with her latest attempt at a romance nobel.
比如,茜拉還在緩慢完成她的首次愛情貴族。
Nobel.
貴族。
Romance nobel.
愛情貴族。
For example, your cricket ball.
比如,你的板球。