歡迎來到今日的單詞故事頻道。
很多同學對很多近義詞感到非常抓狂,其實不用怕,在VOA頻道日積月累,那麼堅持下來你的英語水平一定會發生質變。
今天給大家帶來的是laugh和smile之間的區別。
Today on Ask a Teacher, we answer an email from a reader.
在今天的《名師答疑》節目中,我們要回答一封來自讀者的電子郵件。
He writes:I would like to know the difference between the verbs laugh and smile.
他寫道:我想知道動詞「laugh」和「smile」的區別。
They look like the same, but I am not sure how to use them.
它們看起來一樣,但我不確定如何使用它們。
Could you help me? - Vicente
你可以幫幫我嗎?---維森特
Hello, Vicente! Yes, I can help.
維森特,你好!是的,我可以幫忙。
The verbs "laugh" and "smile" both describe what happens when people are happy.
動詞「laugh」和「smile」都描述人們在快樂時會發生什麼。
Both words can also be used as nouns.
這兩個詞也可以用作名詞。
In the Encyclopedia of 20th-Century American Humor, Alleen and Don L. F. Nilsen say one difference between smiling and laughing is that laughing is a social event.
在20世紀美國幽默百科全書中,艾琳和唐L. F. 尼爾森稱「smile」和「laugh」的區別之一就在於「laugh」是一種社交活動。
People are more likely to smile when alone instead of laughing.
人們在獨處時更有可能「smile」,而不是「laugh」。
As a verb, laugh means "to smile while you are making a sound from your throat."
作為動詞,「laugh」意思是指「從喉嚨笑出聲來」。
When writing, Americans often use the words "ha ha" to express this sound.
在寫作時,美國人經常使用「ha ha」(哈哈)一詞來表示這種聲音。
Now, let’s listen to an example of how to use 「laugh」 as a verb.
現在,讓我們來聽一個如何使用「laugh」用作動詞的例子。
I laughed at the comedian on television.
我對著電視上的喜劇演員發笑。
The English language has two noun forms for the word "laugh."
在英語中,「laugh」這個詞有兩種名詞形式。
Both mean the action or sound of laughing.
兩者都意味著笑的動作或聲音。
One is "laugh," which is a count noun.
其中一個是可數名詞「laugh」。
You can make it plural if you wish.
如果你願意,可以把它變成複數形式。
For example:We had a lot of laughs at the cookout yesterday.
例如:我們昨天在野餐時笑了很多。
Then there is another, noncount noun "laughter," as in this sentence: The crowd broke out in waves of laughter.
然後是另一種形式,不可數名詞「laughter」,比如在這句話中:人群中爆發出一陣陣笑聲。
Now, we turn to the second part of Vicente’s question.
現在,我們轉到維森特問題的第二部分。
To smile means "to turn up the corners of your mouth silently."
「smile」的意思是「嘴角無聲地上揚」。
Nilsen and Nilsen write, "Smiles are more likely to express feelings of satisfaction or good will, while laughter comes from surprise."
尼爾森和尼爾森寫道,smile(微笑)更多地是表達滿足感或善意,而laughter(笑聲)則源於驚喜。」
We laugh when something unexpected happens.
當發生意料之外的事情時,我們會「laugh」。
A smile is "an expression on your face that makes the corners of your mouth turn up and that shows happiness."
「smile」(微笑)是「臉上的一種表情,它讓你嘴角上揚,表現出快樂。」
There is an old saying in English, laughter is contagious.
英語中有句老話,笑聲具有傳染力。
It means that one person laughing can make others start laughing.
意思是指一個人發笑可以讓別人跟著笑。
You also may have heard the saying laughter is the best medicine.
你也可能聽說過這句話,笑是最好的藥。
That means laughing can make the person doing it feel better.
意思是笑可以使做這件事的人感覺更好。
We also have many expressions about smiles.
我們也有許多關於「smile」(微笑)的表達方式。
Someone who is very happy is all smiles.
某人特別開心是「滿臉笑意」(all smiles)。
You can give someone a smile and make them feel better.
你可以給別人一個微笑,讓他們感覺更好。
But laughing at someone can make that person feel bad in most cases.
但是在大多數情況下,對某人發笑(laugh)可能會使這個人感覺不舒服。
There are many songs about smiles.
關於「smile」的歌有很多。
Nat King Cole’s "Smile" tells us to smile when we are sad:
納特?金?科爾的《微笑》告訴我們在悲傷時要微笑:
「Smile though your heart is aching, Smile even though it’s breaking…」
「微笑,儘管你的心在痛,微笑,即使心在破碎.
When there are clouds in the sky, you』ll get by
當天空飄過白雲,你便會挺過悲傷
And there are songs about laughter, as in Neil Sadaka’s "Laughter in the Rain"
還有一些關於「laughter」的歌曲,如在尼爾? 薩達卡的《雨中的笑聲》中:
Oh, I hear laughter in the rain,Walking hand in hand with the one I love
哦,我聽見雨中的笑聲和我愛的人手挽著手散步
Oh, how I love the rainy days and the happy way I feel inside
哦,我是多麼喜愛這雨天,還有這內心的快樂
And that’s Ask a Teacher.
這就是本期《名師答疑》的全部內容。
I’m Jill Robbins.
我是吉爾·羅賓斯。
各位親愛的小夥伴們,大家期待已久的新版「VOA慢速英語」上線了!我們致力給大家帶來更好的服務和一流的學習環境,在此此間給大家帶來的損失我們也將會想盡一切辦法彌補!大家掃描下方二維碼可下載全新APP!
下載APP的小夥伴,將五星好評的截屏添加QQ:2326344291,將會獲得20部經典電影+10部英文短篇小說+10部經典動畫電影+APP會員!
我們需要各位老用戶的支持!非常感謝!