Baby Elephant was not happy.
小象很不開心
"I don't like the circus," he said.
「我不喜歡這個馬戲團,」 它說
"I don't want to put on a funny hat and
do tricks for boys and girls.
我不想帶著滑稽的帽子給男孩子和女孩子表演馬戲
I don't want to walk down town in the parade.
我不想進城遊行
I don't want to stand here.
我不想站在這裡
I want something, he said.
我想要些東西,它說
But I don't know what I want.
但我又不知道我想要的是什麼
Soon every one in the circus began to get
ready for the parade.
沒過多久,馬戲團的所有人都開始準備遊行
Then the big drum began to say:
"Come, come! Come, come!
接著,大鼓開始響了起來:「來啊,快來!來啊,快來!
Baby Elephant said, "Now I know what I
want.
小象說,「現在我知道我想要什麼了。
I want to run away.
我要逃跑。」
So Baby Elephant ran away from the circus.
於是,小象逃離了馬戲團
By and by Baby Elephant came to the big
woods.
沒過多久,小象走到了大森林裡
There he saw a gray squirrel.
它在那裡看見了一隻灰松鼠
"Hello," said Baby Elephant.
「你好,」小象說。
This is a fine place to live.
這是生活的好地方
I think I will live here, too.
我想我也要住在這裡
The gray squirrel said, Then you will have to
hide some nuts.
那隻灰松鼠說,那麼你得儲藏一些堅果
You must get ready for winter.
你必須為過冬做好準備
Soon the snow will come, and then
you will find nothing to eat.
馬上就要下雪了,到那時你就找不到吃的東西了
Have you thought about that?"
你考慮過這個問題嗎?
Baby Elephant went on.
小象繼續往前走
Soon he came to a pony.
沒過多久,它碰到了一隻小馬
"Hello!" said Baby Elephant.
「你好!」小象說,
What a fine place to live.
住在這裡真好啊!
I am going to live here, too.
我也要住在這裡
Are you? asked the pony.
是嗎?小馬問道
Then you will have to get ready for
winter.
那你得為過冬做好準備
You must cut some grass.
你必須割一些草
"Why?" asked Baby Elephant.
「為什麼啊?」小象問道
The pony said, There is nothing to eat
here in the winter.
小馬說,冬天這裡就沒什麼可吃的東西了
Have you thought about that?
你考慮過這個問題嗎?
Baby Elephant did not want to think
about winter.
小象不想去考慮冬天的事情
So he went on and on.
於是,它繼續往前走啊走
By and by he met a brown bear.
不一會兒,它遇到了一隻棕熊
"Hello, "said the bear.
「你好,」熊說。
"Did you come from a zoo?"
「你是從動物園裡來的嗎?」
"Oh, no," said Baby Elephant.
「噢,不是,」小象說。
I ran away from the circus.
我是從馬戲團跑出來的。
I am going to live in the woods.
我要住在這個森林裡
"Well, well!" said the bear.
「哦,哦!」熊說
You will have to dig a big hole.
你必須要挖一個大洞
"Why?" asked Baby Elephant.
「為什麼啊?」小象問道
"The snow will come very soon," said the
bear.
「很快就要下雪了,」熊說
Then there will be nothing to eat in the
woods.
到了那時,森林裡就沒有吃的東西了
So you must sleep all winter in a big hole.
所以啊,你必須整個冬天都在大洞裡睡覺
Have you thought about that?
你考慮過這個問題嗎?
"This is not a good place to live," thought
Baby Elephant.
「這裡不是個生活的好地方,」小象心想
I don't want to cut grass.
我不想割草
I don't like nuts, and I don't want to sleep
in a hole all winter.
我不喜歡堅果,而且我也不想整個冬天都在大洞裡睡覺
Just then he heard the big drum say,
Come, come! Come, come!
就在這時,它聽到打鼓響了起來 ,來啊,快來!來啊,快來!
Baby Elephant began to run back to the
circus as fast as he could go.
小象以最快的速度開始向馬戲團跑去
He was just in time for the parade
它正好趕上了遊行
The end
(關注微信公眾號,獲取更多英語學習資料)
(打開喜馬拉雅,關注(kaitlin菜菜老師),獲取更多英語學習音頻)