"Who are you?" asked the little prince, and added, "You are very pretty tolook at."
「你是誰?」小王子說,「你很漂亮。」
"I am a fox," said the fox.
「我是一隻狐狸。」狐狸說。
"Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."
「來和我一起玩吧,」小王子建議道,「我很苦惱…」
"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed."
「我不能和你一起玩,」狐狸說,「我還沒有被馴服呢。」
"Ah! Please excuse me," said the little prince.
「啊!真對不起。」小王子說。
But, after some thought, he added: "What does that mean tame?"
思索了一會兒,他又說道:「什麼叫馴服呀?」
"You do not live here," said the fox. "What is it that you are looking for?"
「你不是此地人。」狐狸說,「你來尋找什麼?」
"I am looking for men," said the little prince. "What does that mean tame?"
「我來找人。」小王子說,「什麼叫馴服呢?」
"Men," said the fox. "They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing.
「人,」狐狸說,「他們有槍,他們還打獵,這真礙事!
They also raise chickens. These are their only interests. Are you looking for chickens?"
他們唯一的可取之處就是他們也養雞,你是來尋找雞的嗎?」
"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean tame?"
「不,」小王子說,「我是來找朋友的。什麼叫馴服呢?」
"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. It means to establish ties."" To establish ties?"
「這是已經早就被人遺忘了的事情,」狐狸說,「它的意思就是建立聯繫。」
"Just that," said the fox. To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys.
「建立聯繫?」「一點不錯,」狐狸說。對我來說,你還只是一個小男孩,就像其他千萬個小男孩一樣。
And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me.
我不需要你。你也同樣用不著我。
To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
對你來說,我也不過是一隻狐狸,和其他千萬隻狐狸一樣。
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
但是,如果你馴服了我,我們就互相不可缺少了。
To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.
對我來說,你就是世界上唯一的了;我對你來說,也是世界上唯一的了。