美國口語俚語(16)
1. hang in there忍耐一下
Hang in there. Things will look up soon.
忍耐一下。事情很快就會好轉的。
2. hands-off無為而治,順其自然
He takes a hands-off approach when it comes to raising his children.
他用無為而治的方式教養小孩。
3. gag me with a spoon我快吐了
Gag me with a spoon! Please don’t tell me such disgusting stories any more.
我快吐了!請別再說這麼噁心的故事了。
4. get a move on趕快
Get a move on. You can’t park your car here.
趕快!你不能在這兒停車。
5. cook up想出
He cooked up a wonderful way to surprise his wife on her birthday.
他想出一個在他太太生日時讓她驚喜的妙法。
美國口語俚語(17)
1. roll with the punches逆來順受
You have to roll with the punches if you want to survive in this business.
如果你想在這一行生存下去的話,就得逆來順受。
2. right off the bat立刻
I was all prepared to put up a fight, but he gave in right off the bat.
我正準備和他大打一場,但是他馬上就投降了。
3. get one’s feet wet參與,開始做
It’s not good to concentrate all your efforts on just writing. You should get your feet wet and trying painting or dancing.
單單寫作對你不好。你應該涉獵一下繪畫或舞蹈。
4. get after盯著,責備
Ann’s mother gets after her to hang up her clothes.
安的媽媽盯著她,要她把衣服掛好。
5. pan out成功,奏效
Unfortunately, the deal did not pan out. I lost a thousand dollars.
這筆生意不幸沒有成功,我損失了1,000美元。
美國口語俚語(18)
1. screw someone over欺負某人
After working in the office for ten years, Alice was fired for no apparent reason. How can they screw her over like that?
愛麗斯工作了十年之後,無緣無故被炒魷魚。他們怎麼可以這樣欺負她呢?
2. down to the wire等到最後一刻才開始做事
Peter always waits until the last minute to do his work. I could never leave it down to the wire like that.
彼得總是等到最後一刻才開始做事。我從不想他那樣等到最後一刻才開始幹。
3. buck抗拒
You can’t buck the system.
你無法抗拒整個制度。
4. blockhead笨蛋
Arnold is a blockhead if I ever saw one.
阿諾德是我見過的最笨的人。
5. blow the lid off揭發(醜聞)
That newspaper story blew the lid off the Senator’s illegal business deals.
報紙的報導揭發了參議員的非法勾當。
美國口語俚語(19)
1. round up集合
Round everybody up. It’s time for our business meeting.
叫大家集合,開會時間到了。
2. put someone up留宿某人
I can put you up for a couple of days. My apartment is big enough for two people.
你可以在我這裡住幾天。我的公寓可以住兩個人。
3. take care of business負責
Who’s going to take care of business while I am away?
我不在的時候誰負責?
4. take out on拿…出氣
Don’t take your frustrations out on me.
別把氣出在我身上。
5. hot stuff大人物
He thinks he’s hot stuff. But everybody else thinks he’s a jerk.
他自以為了不得,但其他人認為他是個傻瓜。
美國口語俚語(20)
1. nitty-gritty細節,基本情況
Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty. I want to hear what happens next.
讓我們來認真了解詳細的情況,我想知道後來發生了什麼。
2. no good很糟
This typewriter is no good. Every time I use it, the ribbon falls out.
這臺打字機很糟。每次已用,色帶就掉下來。
3. have someone’s number清楚某人的底細,看穿某人
She dare not do anything to me, I have her number.
她不敢對我怎麼樣的,因為我對她的底細一清二楚。
4. hot number新鮮、迷人的人或事務,尤物
Tom thinks Sherry is a hot number.
Tom認為Sherry是個尤物。
5. off the hook逃脫,溜掉,不受罰
I』ll let you off the hook this time, but don’t do that again.
這次不罰你,下次不要這樣幹了