TED英語演講:怎麼知道你是否該跳槽了?(視頻+MP3+中英文對照)

2021-02-11 TED英語演講集

📜  中英文對照     

I was not one of those kids

我不是那種從小就明確的知道

 

that knew exactly what they wanted to do when they were growing up.

自己長大想要做什麼的小孩。

 

In the last 15 years of my career,

在我職業生涯的過去 15 年裡,

 

I've been an English teacher, attorney, video game creator

我做過英語老師、律師、 電子遊戲創作者,

 

and now, a toilet paper salesman,

現在,一名廁紙銷售,

 

selling millions of rolls of toilet paper a year.

每年銷售上百萬卷廁紙。

 

[The Way We Work]

【我們工作的方式】

 

Life is about finding the intersection of what you really, really love

生活就是找到你特別特別熱愛的,

 

with what you're really, really good at.

和你特別特別在行的 重疊的那部分。

 

As simple as it sounds, it's really not that easy to find.

聽起來簡單,但很難找到。

 

After a brief stint as an English teacher,

短暫的做了一段時間英語老師之後,

 

I went to law school and ended up becoming an attorney

我讀了法學院, 最後在紐約這兒的一個大法律公司

 

at a big law firm here in New York City.

當了一名律師。

 

Like most Americans, for the next two, three years,

就像大多數美國人, 接下來的兩三年裡,

 

I was holding on to my job for dear life,

為了生活,我繼續做我的工作,

 

working really late hours at a job that I thought maybe I was good at

在一個我覺得或許我很擅長,

 

but certainly not one that I really loved.

但絕對不是我熱愛的工作上 瘋狂加班。

 

I then came upon the epiphany

後來我突然靈光一現,

 

that it takes years if not tens of thousands of hours

意識到要特別擅長做一件事,

 

to get really good at something.

需要花費數年,成百上千個小時。

 

I really didn't have a lot of time to waste.

我真的沒有那麼多時間來浪費。

 

This talk isn't for those looking to quit their job

這個視頻不是給那些因不喜歡他們老闆, 或是在公司過了很艱難的一天

 

because they don't like their boss or they had a long day at work.

而準備離職的人的。

 

This is for those that are ready to make the completely scary leap

這個視頻是給那些 已經做好準備要做一個完全大膽的

 

into a brand-new career.

向一個全新的職業轉變的人。

 

So as you think about making a career change,

所以當你想要換一個職業,

 

here are a few tips I hope you consider

這有幾個我希望你考慮的小技巧

 

and a few things I've picked up along the way.

和一些我這一路來積累的經驗。

 

First, there's three things to think about before you're ready to move on.

首先,有三件事 你需要在做改變前想好。

 

Number one: professional life is about learning.

第一:職業生涯重在學習。

 

If you're not even interested in learning anymore,

如果你不再對學習感興趣

 

that's a huge red flag

這是個很大的警告:

 

that there might not be a future for you in that industry.

或許你在那個行業裡沒有未來。

 

Number two: career changes are often gut-driven.

第二:換工作大多數是衝動的。

 

If you constantly have sleepless nights

如果你一直失眠,

 

where you're wide awake staring at the ceiling thinking,

你經常清醒地注視著天花板,想:

 

"Oh, man. I can't live with myself if I never try to make this change

「唉。我無法接受自己 如果我試也不試,

 

or if I don't even actually investigate it,"

哪怕只是認真的調研一下。「

 

then trust your gut.

那,相信自己的衝動。

 

It might be time for that career change.

或許是時候換個工作了。

 

On the flip side,

另一個角度看,

 

one reason to not move on is short-term pain.

不要換工作的其中一個原因 是短期痛苦。

 

If you don't like your boss

如果你不喜歡你的老闆,

 

or people at the office are grating on you,

或者公司的同事讓你煩躁,

 

that's actually not a good reason to absolutely change your career,

其實這不是一個換工作的好原因,

 

because when you do change a career,

因為當你換了工作,

 

you generally have to start from the bottom,

你得從最底層開始,

 

and you'll probably feel a lot of short-term pain,

你很大概率依舊會感受到 很多短期的痛苦,

 

whether it's through a lack of salary or lack of a title.

可能是資金緊張或少了一個頭銜。

 

Pain at any job is inevitable.

任何工作中的痛苦都是不可避免的。

 

So now you're convinced that it's time to change your career.

所以如果現在你確信是時候換個工作了,

 

Then there's three things to do immediately.

有三件事你要立刻去做。

 

First: network, network, network.

第一:社交,社交,社交。

 

No one ever builds a career without a good mentor

沒有人能在沒有好的導師、

 

or a good support network.

或是沒有好的社交網絡的情況下 獲得職業成功。

 

What I mean by networking is getting all the great advice

我說的「社交」是指獲取你所能得到的

 

that you can possibly get.

所有好的建議。

 

Technology has made it so simple to reach out to new people

科技讓認識新的人變得如此簡單,

 

to say, "Hey, I'm thinking about making a career change.

只是說一句 「你好,我想換個工作。

 

Do you have just five minutes to chat with me?"

你能抽出五分鐘一起聊一下嗎?「

 

That passion and that hunger and that ability to be a sponge

那種熱情、渴望, 還有願意接收建議的表現

 

really attracts awesome mentors

一定可以吸引很多

 

and people willing to give you their time

願意花時間給你些好的建議的

 

to give you some good advice.

優秀的人或導師。

 

So go out there and meet new people.

所以出去,認識些新的人。

 

The second thing you need to do immediately

第二件你必須立刻做的事是

 

is shore up your finances.

支撐住你的經濟。

 

The reality is, when you change your career,

事實是,當你換工作時,

 

you'll either start with a job with a lower title

你要麼獲得一個頭銜更低的工作

 

or lower pay or maybe even no pay,

要麼錢更少,甚至不給錢的

 

especially if you're starting your own business.

特別是如果你打算自己創業。

 

So going out there and making sure your finances are in order

所以出門社交並確保有經濟來源

 

to make the transition less painful

是能讓你在過渡期不那麼痛苦的

 

is really, really important.

很重要的事。

 

For me personally, as I made the transition from being an attorney

對我自己來說,當我從律師

 

over to a video game creator,

轉去做電子遊戲的時候,

 

I wanted to have at least six to 12 months of personal runway in the bank.

我在銀行留了 6 - 12 個月的 個人花銷存款。

 

Six to 12 months might not be the right number for you,

6 - 12 個月 不一定對你來說是最合適的數字,

 

but be honest with yourself on what that number should be.

但誠實對待自己 應該準備的存款金額。

 

Number three, if you're not ready to make the full jump right at this moment,

第三,如果你此刻 還沒有做好準備完全換工作,

 

then get your side hustle on.

那做點副業。

 

Side hustles could be anything from volunteering with an organization

這個副業可以是 在你想要去的新行業中的公司裡

 

that's in the new industry you want to go into,

做志願者,

 

could be starting your business part-time on the weekends.

也可以是用周末時間自己創業。

 

It's a free way to get a taste to see if you really love something.

這是個自由的時候 去看看自己到底熱愛什麼。

 

So you're ready to make the move

那你現在準備好動起來了

 

or maybe you already made the move.

或者你已經動起來了。

 

Here are three things you should think about doing, right now.

有三件我認為 你一定要現在就去做的事情。

 

One: do not -- I repeat -- do not burn bridges.

第一:不要斷了自己已有的關係。

 

You spent years building those bridges,

你換了好多年建起了自己的關係網,

 

why burn them now?

為什麼要毀了它?

 

The world is such a small place,

這個世界很小,

 

especially with all these online platforms,

特別是那些線上平臺。

 

that, believe me, you will see these people again

相信我,你會再見到那些人

 

and probably in the most inopportune times.

或許是在最不合適的時間裡。

 

Number two: take stock of what you've learned

第二:記住那些在過去的職業生涯中

 

in your previous career or careers.

你所學到的東西。

 

Most likely, a lot of those things are really applicable

非常有可能,很多事情都是

 

to your new job and your new career,

你在新的工作中可以用到的,

 

whether it's interacting with people, playing on a team

無論是與人們交流,團隊合作

 

or dealing with jerks and assholes.

還是應對討厭的人們。

 

All those things are really universally applicable.

所有的事情都是宇宙間通用的。

 

You'll find jerks no matter what industry you're in;

無論你在哪個行業, 都會遇到討厭的人,

 

no one's immune to it, everyone's got to figure it out,

沒有人能完全避免, 每個人都得搞清楚怎麼處理,

 

and you probably know how to do it already.

你或許已經知道怎麼做了。

 

Lastly, when you start your new job, you're going to be nervous.

最後,當你開始一個新的工作時, 你會很緊張。

 

But don't worry, take a deep breath,

但是沒關係,深呼吸,

 

because this is what I want to tell you:

因為我想告訴你:

 

you're part of a new team now,

你現在是新團隊中的一員了,

 

and everyone around you is rooting for your success,

你周圍的每個人都在期待你的成功,

 

because your success is their success.

因為你的成功,就是他們的成功。

 

So welcome to your new career.

歡迎來到你新的工作。

相關焦點