You never give it any thought, and there are billions of them out there,
你可能沒有想過 世界上可能有上億個杯蓋
but the amount of design and passion and creativity
但其中蘊含的 不可估量的設計 熱愛與創造力
that goes into this little disc is remarkable.
卻是卓越非凡的
The coffee cup lid is a lid for your coffee cup.
咖啡杯蓋是用來蓋上你的咖啡杯的
It snaps on.
咔噠一聲蓋住
It has an opening.
上面有飲用口
You』ve got lids with a little latch that opens and closes.
還有可關可開的卡扣
You』ve got ones that are in creative shapes.
同時杯蓋上還有各種創意造型
Coffee cup lids have their own vocabulary.
咖啡杯蓋有屬於自己的詞彙
People talk about the peripheral skirts,
人們會說暈染的裙邊
the press-in dimples, the fragrance outlets, the slosh factor.
微微的漣漪 清香嫋嫋 氣息翕動
But you need these words,
但你需要這些詞彙
because so much thought and innovation goes into these coffee cup lids.
因為這些蓋子蘊含著很多想法與創意
Our society is just more and more mobile.
我們的社會越來越動態化
Everything is on the move.
一切都在移動
I mean, the good part, it’s convenient.
從好的方面看 我覺得這很便利
You can drink coffee anywhere.
你可以在任何地方喝咖啡
You don’t have the stay in the dinner.
而不需要待在正餐桌上
It can be in the subway. You can be walking.
可以在地鐵上 也可以邊走邊喝
The bad part is it’s harder to savor a coffee
從不利一面看 這很難真正享受一杯咖啡
when you’re taking it on the road.
尤其是你走在路上喝咖啡的時候
The first patent for a lid on a cup was in 1934,
首個獲專利的咖啡杯蓋誕生於1934年
but it was for cold beverages,
可它專供冷飲
and in 1950 this guy names James Reifsnyder
1950年 有個叫 James Reifsnyder的人
invented the first snap-on lid,
他發明了第一個可脫卸的杯蓋
but it didn’t have a opening for drinking.
但是沒有設置飲用口
In the 』60s there was this huge cultural shift
六十年代 文化劇變
where people started drinking coffee on the move,
人們開始邊走邊喝咖啡
and 7-Eleven was the first to sell coffee to go.
7-Eleven是第一家售賣外帶咖啡的商店
And then came this revolution.
此時 變革開始了
In 1967, a man named Alan Frank
1967年 有個叫Alan Frank的人
invented a lid that you could peel a tab off,
發明了一種可以拉開卡扣的蓋子
like in the shape of a guitar pick
這種蓋子的形狀就像吉他撥片
and drink it from there.
可以從這裡喝咖啡
In 1975, another big advance,
1975年 杯蓋的發展有了極大的進步
you could peel back a tab and attach it to the lid itself.
你可以把撥片拉開 然後固定到蓋子上
So more and more people started drinking coffee on the go.
所以如今越來越多人開始飲用外帶咖啡
In 1984, a watershed moment in the history of coffee cup lids,
1984年是咖啡杯蓋歷史上一個分水嶺
the birth of the traveler lid, and it is iconic.
帶有圖標的旅行專用杯蓋誕生
You』ve seen it a million times,
你可能已見過成千上萬次
and it solved a whole host of problems.
它還解決了數不勝數的問題
It’s designed so that you don’t splash your face,
它獨特的設計使得咖啡不會濺到你臉上
because it’s higher than any of the other ones.
因為它的飲用口比其它杯蓋要高
It’s got this protruding rim,
它有突出的邊
so it slightly cools the coffee before it hits your lips.
所以在咖啡到嘴邊時 可以稍稍冷卻
It’s got a small depression in the center for your nose,
杯蓋中部有為鼻子留出的小凹槽
so you can really get in there and get maximum aroma.
這樣你可以輕鬆飲用 享受咖啡美好滋味
It’s got this tiny air hole that lets the steam out
杯蓋上還有一個極小的排氣孔
and stops it from creating a vacuum.
防止內部氣息不流通
This is one of those objects where you just don’t notice it until it dribbles on your lap,
這不過是咖啡滴在你膝蓋上 才會注意到的東西
so I think the coffee cup lid will just continue to evolve,
所以我認為咖啡蓋子會繼續發展變革
and you’re gonna see a move away from single-use plastic lids to lids that are a little more sustainable.
你將可能看到從塑料杯蓋到可回收型杯蓋的進步
We’re not gonna stop moving.
生命永不靜止
We’re not gonna stop drinking coffee,
咖啡之愛永不停息
and I think that’s what these coffee lid engineers are trying to do
我認為杯蓋設計師們不斷嘗試的初心
is to make it so that the experience of taking it on the road
在於讓邊走邊喝咖啡的體驗
is as good as sitting in a restaurant, drinking from a ceramic cup,
和坐在餐廳裡用陶瓷杯享用的體驗一樣美好
because, you know, coffee is serious business.
你也知道 喝咖啡是很講究的