When they start the game, they don’t yell, 「Work ball.」 They say, 「Play ball.」
當比賽開始時,人們往往不說「Work ball」,而是說「Play ball」。
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good too.
愛情固然是世上最重要的東西,但棒球也不錯。
The best possible thing in baseball is winning the World Series. The second best thing is losing the World Series.
對棒球運動來說最好的事情是贏得世界大賽。次好的事就是輸掉世界大賽。
I don’t want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it.
我不想打高爾夫球。因為每當我擊出球,我總想有人會去追它。
Managing is like holding a dove in your hand. Squeeze too hard and you kill it, not hard enough and it flies away.
控球時就好像手裡抓著一隻鴿子。捏的太緊你會殺死它,不夠緊它就飛遠了。
The saddest day of the year is the day baseball season ends.
一年中最悲傷的日子就是棒球季結束的那一天。
Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
棒球運動是百分之九十的心理,百分之十的身體。
Pitchers, like poets, are born not made.
投手就好像詩人,是天生的,不是造作的。
You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be – in baseball and in life.
你自始至終都應該認為你自己是最棒的---不論是在棒球運動中還是在生活中。
When you step into the batter’s box, have nothing on your mind except baseball.
當你踏進擊球區時,你的腦子裡就應該只有棒球。
Baseball is a game of inches.
棒球是寸尺之間的運動。
In baseball, you can’t kill the clock. You』ve got to give the other man his chance. That’s why this is the greatest game.
棒球運動中,沒有拖延時間的戰術概念,因為你必須給對方充分的機會。這使得棒球成為最偉大的體育運動。
A hitter’s impatience is the pitcher’s biggest advantage.
一個急性子的打者對投手來說是最大的優勢。
People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I』ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
人們問我在冬天沒有棒球的時候我在做什麼。我會告訴你我在做什麼。我望著窗外,等待春天來臨。
I didn’t get over 1300 walks without knowing the strike zone.
如果不知道好球區在哪,我不會有超過1300次的上壘。
I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.
我一直認為記錄會保持到它被打破為止。
The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love.
其他運動只是運動,而棒球是愛。
It ain’t like football. You can’t make up no trick plays.
它不像足球,你不能耍把戲。
There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.
在棒球裡沒有歧視存在。它是我們全國性的娛樂活動和所有人的比賽。
I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks in batting practice.
我是一個如此危險的擊球員以致於即使是在打擊練習中我都被保送上壘。
My pitching philosophy is simple – keep the ball way from the bat.
我的投球哲學很簡單-讓球遠離球棒。
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn’t going to help.
僅看著球飛出圍欄是不會有任何幫助的。
Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.
擊球是時機的掌握。投球是擾亂擊球的時機。
Baseball is religion without the mischief.
棒球是沒有紛爭的信仰。