18
Well, of course, we were all very unhappy for our friend the Duck, but he said,
當然了,我們為我們的公爵朋友感到很難過,但他說,
『I』ll be happier if you do things for me. Bring me my dinner!』
「如果你們為我做事,我會更高興,把我的飯拿來!」
So, we did things for him, and he liked it. But the old man spoke very little and he looked unhappy, too.
所以,我們為他做事,他喜歡這樣。可那個老人話說得很少,看上去也不高興。
After a time he said, 『You know, Bridgewater, I ,too, have a secret.』 And he began to cry.
過了一會兒,他說,「你要知道,布裡奇沃特,我也有秘密。」他開始哭起來。
『What do you mean?』 the Duck asked. 『What’s your secret?』
「你是什麼意思?」公爵問道,「你有什麼秘密?」
And then the old man told us that he was really the first son of the King of France.
然後,那老人告訴我們,他的確是法國國王的長子。
He asked us all to go town on one knee when we spoke to him.
他要求我們跟他講話時要單腿跪下。
We could call him 『You Majesty』, too.
我們可以稱他為「陛下。」
So, that was what we did, and they were both happy.
所以,這就是我們所做的一切,他們倆都很高興。
Of course, I knew that they weren’t really a duck and a king, but I didn’t tell Jim.
當然,我知道他們根本不是什麼公爵和國王。可我沒有告訴吉姆。
It’s best if everybody is happy when you’re living together on a raft.
當你們共同過生活在一隻木筏上時,如果每一個人都很快樂,那是最好不過了。
The King and the Duck were very interested in Jim.
國王和公爵對吉姆很感興趣。
『Is he a slave?』 they wanted to know. 『Is he running away?』
「他是一個奴隸嗎?」他們想知道,「他正在逃跑嗎?」
I had to tell them something, so I said that Jim belonged to my uncle and was taking me to my family in New Orleans.
我得對他們說些什麼,於是,我說,吉姆歸我叔叔所有,他正把我送到紐奧良的家去。
未完待續~