還記得習語 cut the crap 的寓意嗎?今天又帶來一個跟 cut 有關的習語 cut to the chase,字面意思真不知道怎麼翻譯,比喻意思為「抓住核心,抓住要害,直奔主題」,寓意:
come to the point
說到點子上
leave out all unnecessary details
排除所有不必要的細節
解析:短語動詞 leave out 意為「排除,不包括」。
focus on the major point
關注重點
say only what is important and leave out minor details
只說重要的事,不提細節
例如:
We haven't got all day for this discussion. Let's cut to the chase.
我們沒有時間討論這個問題。我們直奔主題吧。
After the customary greetings and handshakes, we cut to the chase and began negotiating with our clients.
在習慣性的問候和握手之後,我們抓住核心開始著手與客戶談判。
He was busy with his work, so I cut to the chase and told him that the project had been cancelled.
他忙於工作,所以我直截了當地告訴他,這個項目已經取消了。
解析:cancel 這個動作發生在過去時 told 之前,所以往過去挪一個時態,就是過去完成時。
I don't have time for idle talk, so cut to the chase and tell me what you want.
我沒時間閒聊,所以直截了當地告訴我你想要什麼。
I can see that you are busy, so I'll cut to the chase. I need you to lend me a large amount of money.
我看得出你很忙,所以我就直截了當地說。我需要你借給我一大筆錢。
解析:表示數量小可以使用 tiny/small/minuscule amount of ,例如:
There is a minuscule amount of time left to register. Hurry up!
還有很短的時間可以登記。快點!