The Goose with Golden Egg
下金蛋的鵝
A Farmer and his wife live in a small house in the country. They are very poor. Then one day something fantastic happens.
農夫和他的妻子住在鄉下的一個小房子裡,他們很貧窮,有一天,有件奇妙的事情發生了。
Farmer: Good morning, dear.
早上好,親愛的。
Wife: Good morning.I』ll fry you some eggs.
早上好,我要為你煎一些蛋。
The wife goes out to the barn to get some eggs. She suddenly shouts loudly to the Farmer.
妻子到穀倉裡拿蛋,突然她大聲地對農夫叫了起來。
Wife: Come out here, dear! Quickly!
快來呀,親愛的。快點!
Farmer: Why? What’s the matter?
怎麼了?什麼事?
The Farmer runs out to the barn.
農夫跑到了穀倉。
Wife: Look at this!
看看這個!
Farmer: What is it?
那是什麼?
Wife: It’s a golden egg!
一個金蛋!
Farmer: A golden egg?Where did you get is?
金蛋?你從哪裡來的?
Wife: From this Goose.It laid this golden egg.
這隻鵝呀,它下的。
Goose: Quack, quack!
嘎,嘎!
Farmer: I can’t believe it.It’s so shiny and beautiful.What shall we do with it?
我簡直不敢相信,這隻蛋耀眼又美麗,我們怎麼處理呢?
Wife: Sell it at the market.
把它賣到市場上。
Farmer: Good idea.I』ll sell it and buy some meat.
好主意,我會把它賣了,再買些肉回來。
Wife: Yes.I』ll cook you a delicious meal tonight.
那今晚我會為你煮一頓美味的大餐。
Farmer: Yahoo! Thank you, Goose!
奧,謝謝你,鵝!
The Farmer goes to the market that afternoon and gets a good price for the golden egg. The Farmer and his Wife have a nice dinner that night, but they can’t fall asleep. They are so excited and hope that the goose will lay another golden egg tomorrow morning.
當天下午,農夫到市場去把金蛋賣了個好價錢。農夫和妻子享用了一頓豐盛的晚餐。可是他們無法入睡,他們非常興奮,並且希望鵝在明天早上會再下另一隻金蛋。
Goose: Cock –a –doodle-doo!!!
咕- 咕- 咕!!!
Farmer: Wake up, dear.Let’s see if the Goose laid another golden egg.
起床,親愛的,我們去看看鵝有沒有再下金蛋。
Wife: Okay. Let’s hurry.
好,我們快去。
The two rush out to the barn.
他們兩人衝到了穀倉。
Farmer: Look!Another golden egg!
看!另一個金蛋!
Wife: Thank you, Goose.We will be rich soon.
謝謝你,鵝,我們很快就會富起來了。
Farmer: Yes. Thanks to the Goose.Feed it well, dear.
是呀,多虧了這隻鵝,你可要好好地餵它呀,親愛的。
Wife: Of course.I will feed it the best food.
我會餵它最好的食物。
After that, the Farmer and his Wife gave the Goose the best food. They loved the Goose. The Goose kept laying a golden egg every day. Some months later, the couple moved to a bigger house. They were very happy.
從那以後,農夫和他的妻子給鵝吃最好的食物,他們很疼愛那隻鵝。鵝繼續每天下一個金蛋。幾個月後,這對夫妻搬到了更大的房子裡,他們非常的快樂。
Farmer: Thanks to the Goose, we are not poor anymore.
多虧了那隻鵝,我們再也不貧窮了。
Wife: That is true. But I’m getting curious.
那倒是,可是我越來越好奇了。
Farmer: About what?
好奇什麼?
Wife: The Goose doesn’t look special.
那隻鵝看起來又不特別。
Farmer: So what?
那又怎樣?
Wife: But how can it lay golden eggs?
可是它怎麼能下金蛋呢?
Farmer: Good question. Now I’m getting curious, too. Hmm…
說的對,現在我也好奇了,嗯…
More months passed and the Farmer and his Wife became quite rich.
又過了幾個月,農夫和他的妻子已經相當富有了。
Farmer: We are now quite rich. Thanks to the Goose.
我們現在已經相當富有了,多虧了那隻鵝。
Wife: Yes. But I want to get really rich fast.
是呀,不過我想快點變得更富有。
Farmer: How?
那要怎麼做呢?
Wife: Think. We don’t know how the Goose lays the golden eggs. But we know where they are coming from.
你想想,我們不知道那隻鵝怎麼會下金蛋,可是我們知道那些金蛋是從哪裡來的。
Farmer: We do? Where?
我們知道嗎?從哪裡?
Wife: From the Goose’s stomach, of course. So its stomach must be full of golden eggs.
當然是從那隻鵝的肚子裡呀,所以它的肚子裡一定裝滿了金蛋。
Farmer: Perhaps. I don’t know.
或許吧,我不知道。
Wife: Can’t you see? We can become really rich all at once.
你不明白嗎?我們可以一夜致富呀。
Farmer: What do you mean?
你的意思是?
Wife: Cut open the Goose’s stomach. Take out all of the golden eggs inside.
剖開那隻餓的肚子,拿出裡面所有的金蛋。
Farmer: You mean kill the Goose?
你是說殺了那隻鵝?
Wife: Yes. A golden egg a day is too slow. I want to become really rich. Now!
每天一個金蛋太慢了,我要變得非常富有,立刻!
Farmer: But it has given us a golden egg every day. It made us rich. We can’t kill it now.
但是它每天都給我們一個金蛋呀,他讓我們富有了,現在我們不能殺它。
Wife: Why not? Don’t you want to become richer faster?
難道你不想快點變得更有錢嗎?
Farmer: Yes, but we are rich right now.
想呀,可是我們現在就很有錢呀。
Wife: Yes. But I want to become really really rich. I want to live in the city. Bring the knife from the kitchen.
是呀,可是我想變得真的真的很有錢,我想住到城市裡去。去把廚房裡的刀拿來。
Farmer: If you wish, dear.
遵命,親愛的。
The Farmer brings a sharp knife from the kitchen. The Goose sees the knife and starts crying and runs away. The Wife hides the knife behind her back.
農夫從廚房裡拿出一把鋒利的刀,鵝看到了刀,開始一邊叫一邊跑,其子把刀藏在了身後。
Goose: Quack, quack!
嘎嘎!
Wife: What’s the matter, Goose? I have something delicious for you.
怎麼了,鵝?我有好吃的東西要給你呀!
Goose: Quack, quack!
嘎嘎!
Wife: it’s running away! Go and catch it!
它跑走了!去抓住他!
Farmer: Okay, dear. Come here, Goosey.
好的,親愛的,過來,鵝。
Goose: Quack, quack!
嘎嘎!
Wife: Catch it, catch it!
抓住它,抓住它!
Farmer: I got it!
抓住了!
Goose: Quack, quack!
嘎嘎!
The Farmer catches the Goose and the Wife is about to cut open its stomach.
農夫抓住鵝,妻子準備剖開他的肚子。
Wife: We will be really rich soon. How many eggs will there be?
我們很快就會變得很有錢了,會有多少金蛋呢?
Farmer: I don’t know. But there must be many. I’m getting curious now. Hurry up. Cut it open.
我不知道,可是肯定很多,現在我越來越好奇了。快點,剖開他。
Wife: Okay, here I go.
好,我要下手了。
Goose: (scream)Q-U-A-C-K!!!
(慘叫)嘎!
The Goose’s stomach is cut open. The Farmer and his Wife look surprised.
鵝的肚子被剖開了,農夫和他的妻子看起來非常吃驚。
Farmer: Where are the golden eggs?
金蛋在哪裡呢?
Wife: I don’t know. There must be some inside. Look carefully!
我不知道,這裡頭一定有一些。看仔細點!
Farmer: There are none! What have we done?
一個也沒有,我們都幹了些什麼呀?
Wife: No golden eggs?
沒有金蛋?
Farmer: Poor Goose. We were too greedy. So we will become poor again.
可憐的鵝,我們太貪心了,我們又會變窮。
Wife: Poor us!
可憐的我們!
Farmer: Boo-hoo-hoo.
嗚-嗚-嗚…
MORAL: Don’t be greedy.
不可貪心。
更多精彩內容 >> 新東方網英語頻道
全國新東方英語課程搜索
(實習編輯:高奕飛)