Hello and welcome to English at University - the series that brings you the English words and phrases you need to help you through your first year at university. . . . . . .
歡迎來到《大學英語》欄目,這個節目會教給你一些在初為大學新生時會用到的一些單詞和短語。
We're going to follow new student Mary, who's about to begin her first year of study abroad - at The University of Studies – that's the UK's thirty-second best university.
She's been offered a place to study for a degree in Business.
我們在節目中會隨著大一新生瑪麗一起學習,她馬上就要開始自己在國外的第一年學生生活,她就讀於「學習」大學,那可是英國排名第32位的大學。
她在那裡學習商科。
It's a great opportunity for her but her mum and dad are sad to see her go…
Mum: … and she's flying to London today… London in the UK… yes, she's done very well.
這對於她來說是一個很棒的機會,但她的爸爸媽媽卻因為她的離開而有些傷感…………
她今天就要坐飛機去倫敦了…… 倫敦是在英國…… 沒錯,她做得很不錯。
I'm so proud of her but… but I'm worried she's not going to eat properly and she might get in with the wrong crowd and…
Dad: Your mother is so emotional.
我為她感到自豪,但是我擔心她不會按時吃飯,也擔心她會結識壞朋友,還有……
你媽媽真是有些太情緒化了。
It's the opportunity of a lifetime for you Mary.
Make the most of it – forget about us, we'll be fine.
瑪麗,這次對你來說是一生一次的好機會。
好好利用它,不用管我們,我們沒事的。
Mary: Forget about who? !
Dad: Ha ha. Now have you packed everything? Clothes, books, toothbrush. . .
不管誰?!
哈哈,你東西已經打包好了嗎?衣服、書、牙刷……
Mum: Sorry about that. That was your Grandma on the phone – she says good luck and send her a postcard from Paris.
不好意思。剛才是你外婆打電話,她說祝你好運,到了巴黎要給她寄明信片。
I think she meant London.
She also said 'Don't do anything I wouldn't do! '
我估計她是想說倫敦的。
她還說:「不要做那些我不會做的事!」
Mary: What? Mum: It's a joke.
什麼意思?那是句玩笑話。
She learnt it from her English friends.
It means 'Have a good time and don't get into trouble'.
她從她英國朋友那學來的。
意思是「好好享受,保重好不要惹上麻煩」。
Now have you packed everything?
Passport, student visa, your acceptance letter from the university and your new laptop – you can use that to video-time us.
現在東西都打包好了嗎?
護照,留學籤證,大學來的錄取通知,還有你的新筆記本電腦,你可以用電腦跟我們視頻。
Dad: Good idea – very sensible.
Have you got your credit card and cash?
好主意,很合理。
你拿好自己的信用卡和現金了嗎?
Mary: Yes Dad! Mum: Ah, that sounds like your taxi.
Well… bye bye darling.
拿好了,爸爸。
聽起來的你計程車到了。那……再見了親愛的!
Safe journey! Have a good trip and keep in touch.
Mary: I'll call as soon as I land in Paris… I mean London!
一路平安!旅途愉快,記得保持聯繫。
我一到巴黎就會給你們打電話的……啊我的意思是到倫敦!
. . . . . . It can be scary leaving home for the first time, but Mary seems quite cool and calm about it, even though her mum's getting a bit mushy – she's getting quite sad and emotional.
第一次離開家確實會有點兒嚇人,但瑪麗似乎非常冷靜和淡然,儘管她媽媽有點兒感傷 —— 她很傷感又情緒化。
瑪麗正在和家人告別,我們利用這個時間來學習一下當有人首次離家遠行,你可以拿來鼓勵他們的話。
While Mary says her final goodbyes, let's go over the words of encouragement you can give to someone who's leaving home for the first time…
I'm proud of you.It's the opportunity of a lifetime.
我為你感到自豪。
這是一生一次的機遇。
Don't do anything I wouldn't do!
可別做我不會做的事!好好利用這個機會。
Make the most of it. Safe journey!
一路平安!保持聯繫!
Keep in touch! To practice these phrases – and to learn some more like this, visit us at BBC Learning English dot com.
想要練習這些短語或者學習更多類似句子的話,歡迎來到BBC Learning English.com。現在我們回去看看瑪麗,她爸爸看起來已經淚眼汪汪…
Now, back to Mary, and her dad's looking a bit tearful… He's a big softy really – that means he gets emotional very easily.
他可真是多愁善感,意思是他太容易情緒化了。額…爸爸你還好嗎?
Mary: Err Dad, are you ok? Dad: Bye Mary… I love you!
瑪麗再見,我愛你!再見瑪麗,再見。
Mum: Bye Mary. Bye. Oh no, look, she's left her 'good luck' teddy bear behind.
哦不,看,她把她的「好運熊」落下了。好啦這位爸爸,你會好起來的。
. . . Come on Dad, you'll be fine!
瑪麗已經啟程去英國學習。在接下來的幾周時間裡你會聽到她是如何逐漸學會處理大學生活、學習以及最後參加考試的。
So Mary is off to the UK to study. In the coming weeks you will hear how she gets on dealing with university life, studying and eventually taking her exams.
我也會在這裡準備一些短語句子來幫助她度過她的大學生活。那我們下次在大學英語欄目再見啦,拜拜!
And I'll be here with some English words and phrases to help her on her way. So join me again soon for English at University. Bye!