a black sheep 敗家子
講解:舊時牧羊人不喜歡黑色的,因為迷信認為黑色是魔鬼的化身,會給人帶來厄運或災禍。另外,黑羊毛不如白羊毛值錢,這也是一個原因。牧羊人會因羊群中有黑羊而詛咒不已。因此,a black sheep就引申為「敗類」「敗家子」的意思,與漢語中的「害群之馬」相近。例如:Joe is the Black sheep of his family. He splashed nearly a few years.喬是個敗家子。幾年內他竟然揮霍掉十幾萬美元。
英語情景對話:
A :I don't know how John can put up with his son, who fools around without working.
B :He's out of John's hands. Nothing he can do about such a black sheep.
A :If I were him, I would give him a good talking-to. I would insist on his stopping fooling around like that.
參考中文譯文:
A :我不知道約翰為什麼能容忍他的兒子整天不工作,瞎混日子。
B :他不服約翰的管教,對這樣一個敗家子,約翰無可奈何。
A :如果我是約翰,我會教訓他一頓,堅持不能讓他再這麼瞎混了。
英語學習筆記:
1.put up with:容忍,忍受
Your boss is an absolute dictator and I don't know how you guys put up with it.
你們的老闆是一個十足的大獨裁者,我不知道你們這些人怎能容忍。
2.fool around:閒逛;荒廢時間
Don't fool around with another man's wife.
不要調戲他人之妻。
I'm going to go home, relax, spend some time with my family, catch up with old friends, and fool around with my boyfriend.
我要回家放鬆一下,花時間和家人團聚,見見老朋友,然後去男友那兒混日子。
They always fool around when the boss is not in the office.
老闆不在辦公室的時候,他們總是到處閒蕩。
I am mean to be work on Sunday, but I just fool around all day.
星期日我本應工作的,但卻閒混了一整天。
3.out of one's hand:無能為力,無可奈何
I am sorry that it is out of my hand.
非常抱歉這件事我無能無力。
4.give sb a good talking-to責備,教訓某人一頓
I got mad and gave him a good talking-to.
我實在氣不過, 狠狠地說了他一頓。
That child needs a good talking-to.
那孩子得說他一頓。
5.insist on堅持
I insist on your taking immediate action to put this right.
我堅決要求你立刻採取行動把事情處理好。
I must insist on your giving me a straight forward answer.
我一定要你給我一個直截了當的回答。
教師簡介:
姓 名:範亞飛
教授課程:託福閱讀
教師簡介:新東方教育科技集團北美項目推廣管理中心教學教研與對外合作主管; 2010年新東方教育科技集團年度優秀教師; 2007年北京新東方年度優秀教師; 2008年蘭州新東方優秀管理者; 中國政法大學法學院國際法研究生; 美國亞利桑那大學教師培訓認證。
更多精彩內容 >> 新東方網英語頻道
全國新東方英語課程搜索
(編輯:何瑩瑩)