滬江英語微信公眾號 2020-11-12 15:51
雙十一到了,經過剁手盛宴,「尾款人」們的錢包還好嗎?是時候來學習一下如何用英語表達「貧窮」了。
1 strapped
身無分文的,資金短少的
I'm a little strapped.
我手頭有點緊。
I'd love to go to dinner with you guys, but I'm a bit strapped for cash.
我很想和你們一起吃晚餐,可是我手頭有點緊。
2 as poor as a church mouse
一貧如洗
Although very rich in his youth, he is now as poor as a church mouse.
雖然年輕時很有錢,他現在卻窮得一貧如洗。
I'm as poor as a church mouse!
我窮到吃土。
3 broke
破產的
I'm broke.
我身無分文。
Balton went broke twice in his career.
巴爾頓一生中經歷了兩次破產。
4 run out of dough
沒有麵團了/沒錢了
I've run out of dough.
我沒錢了。
5 scrape by
勉強度日
Borrowing money from friends and relatives helped him to scrape by.
他全靠親朋好友的接濟度日!
6 not have a bean
沒有錢
I don't have a bean.
我連一個子兒都沒了。
7 hand to mouth
勉強餬口
We lived from hand to mouth, never knowing where the next meal was coming from.
我們日子過得緊緊巴巴的,從來是吃了上頓沒下頓。
8 Keep body and soul together
掙錢餬口
I hate my job, but I have to keep body and soul together somehow.
我討厭我的工作,但不管怎麼樣我得掙錢餬口。
9 make both ends meet
勉強維持生計
With five children in college, Steve still manages to make both ends meet.
有五個小孩在念大學,史蒂夫還是有辦法維持家計。
10 poverty
貧困
poverty line貧困線
poverty-stricken一貧如洗的
My family were living below the poverty line when I was little.
我很小的時候,我們家生活在貧困線以下。
The program was to help those poverty-stricken families.
該計劃是為了幫助貧困不堪的家庭。
(來源:滬江英語微信公眾號 編輯:yaning)
中國日報網英語點津版權說明:凡註明來源為「中國日報網英語點津:XXX(署名)」的原創作品,除與中國日報網籤署英語點津內容授權協議的網站外,其他任何網站或單位未經允許不得非法盜鏈、轉載和使用,違者必究。如需使用,請與010-84883561聯繫;凡本網註明「來源:XXX(非英語點津)」的作品,均轉載自其它媒體,目的在於傳播更多信息,其他媒體如需轉載,請與稿件來源方聯繫,如產生任何問題與本網無關;本網所發布的歌曲、電影片段,版權歸原作者所有,僅供學習與研究,如果侵權,請提供版權證明,以便儘快刪除。