這天常爸回家,「逮」到小小常正在認真做作業,於是忍不住誇讚道:
You are working so hard, Victor! Have you finished your homework?(你好用功啊,小小常!寫完作業了嗎?)
Not yet, I still have 5 more pages left!(沒呢,我還有5頁沒寫!)
Wow, that seems like a lot. Let's just call it a day.(哇,還有那麼多呢。那我們就call it a day吧。)
Call the homework a day? What day? I don't understand!(把作業叫做一天?哪一天啊?我不明白誒!)
"Call it a day" means to stop working on it for now. Maybe you should have a rest. (Call it a day意思是暫時停止工作。也許你應該休息一下。)
Yes, I don't think I can finish it all today anyway. I am calling it a day!(沒錯,我覺得今天肯定是完不成了。我今天就到此為止!)
Let's go and have some fruit.(我們去吃點水果吧。)
call it a day的字面意思就是「把它叫作一天」,實際意思是「下班,收工,停止手上的工作」等。例如:
✍學生面對繁重的課業時:
I worked on my term paper until about ten o'clock last night,
昨晚我寫期末報告一直寫到十點鐘,
but I got so sleepy, so I decided to call it a day.
後來我困不行就決定不寫了。
I'll finish it this afternoon when I come back from class.
今天下午上完課,我再把它寫完。
✍媒體從業者面對高強度的工作時:
We've got so much news to handle today
今天我們要處理的新聞太多了,
that I didn't even have time to have lunch.
忙得我連吃午飯的時間都沒有。
Now I am going to call it a day and go home to have a good rest.
今天就先這樣吧,我得回家好好休息去了。
除此之外,call it a day還可以表示「就此結束」,例如:
✍情侶分開:
Neither of us was happy in the relationship, so we decided to call it a day.
我們倆對這段關係都不滿意,所以我們決定分手。
✍樂隊解散:
After playing together for twenty years, the band members have finally decided to call it a day.
在一起演湊了二十年之後,樂隊成員終於決定解散了。
✍選擇退休:
After providing services for more than 30 years to NASA, Bill Scot decided to call it a day.
在為美國國家航空和宇宙航行局服務了30多年後,比爾·斯科特決定退休。
那麼,既然有「call it a day」,那有沒有「call it a night」呢?有的!
如果晚上下班,就可以說「call it a night」,比如:
☞領導面對辛苦加班的員工時:
Alright guys, you've worked really hard. I think it's time to call it a night. I'll see you all again tomorrow.
夥計們,大家辛苦了。今天的工作到此為止。明天見。
「call it a night」 也可以指去睡覺、去休息。
Wow! I can't believe it's 11pm already. Let's call it a night.
哇,原來已經11點了,我們去休息吧。
不知不覺我們今天就學習了這麼多新知識,不如「call it a day」吧!