borrow和lend你能分得清麼?
This week we answer a question we received in an email from Tina.
本周我們將回答蒂娜在電子郵件中提到的問題。
She writes:I just want to know how to use the words "borrow" and "lend" in a situation.
她寫道:我只是想知道如何在實際情境中使用單詞"borrow" 和 "lend"。
Is it correct to say, "Could you lend me a pen" or " Can I borrow your pen" Thank you very much.
"Could you lend me a pen?" (「你能借給我一支鋼筆嗎?」)或" Can I borrow your pen?"(「我可以借你的鋼筆嗎?」)這樣說對嗎?非常感謝。
These two words are a source of trouble for many English learners.
對於許多英語學習者來說,這兩個詞是個麻煩。
The reason?
為什麼呢?
They have about the same meaning, but each word’s action goes in different directions.
它們的含義大致相同,但每個詞的動作方向卻不同。
「Borrow」 means to take something from another person, knowing you will give it back to them.
「Borrow」 指從別人那裡拿走某樣東西,明白你還會把它還給那個人。
「Lend」 means to give something to another person expecting to get it back.
「Lend」指給別人某樣東西,並希望把拿回它。
So the sentences you asked about are both correct.
所以你問的這兩個句子都是正確的。
Your choice of 「borrow」 or 「lend」 depends on which direction is more important to you.
選擇使用「borrow」 還是 「lend」 取決於哪個方向對你更重要。
Imagine yourself in the middle of the picture.
想像一下你自己處於這個畫面中間。
Anything you 「borrow」 moves toward you.
你「borrow」(借入)的任何東西都會移向你。
Things you "lend" go away from you.
你"lend"(借出)的東西都會遠離你。
Notice that the prepositions that often follow the verbs are different.
請注意,經常跟隨這兩個動詞的介詞是不同的。
We borrow from someone, but we lend to someone.
我們從某人那裡借,用 「borrow from」,但我們借給某人,用 「lend to」。
Let’s say you and I go shopping, Tina.
蒂娜,假設我們兩個去購物。
I need to sign my name on a receipt, but I do not have a pen.
我需要在收據上簽名,但沒有筆。
So I ask you, 「Can I borrow a pen?」
所以我問你,「我可以借支鋼筆嗎?」
I chose 「borrow」 because I am thinking of the action as it relates to me.
我選擇用「borrow」,因為我考慮這個動作與我有關。
You are a good friend, so you lend me the pen.
你是我的好朋友,所以你把筆借給我。
I forget it is yours and I put it in my bag.
我忘了筆是你的,把它放在我的包裡。
Later, we meet a good friend and she asks for your email address.
後來,我們遇到了一位好朋友,她想要你的電子郵件地址。
You search in your bag, but – no pen!
你在包裡找,但沒有筆!
You think, 「I lent Jill my pen.
你想,「我借給了吉爾鋼筆。
And she didn’t give it back to me.」
她並沒有把它還給我。」
Now you are thinking of the action that you did.
現在你正在考慮你的動作。
So, you can ask me, 「Jill, do you remember that pen I lent you?
所以,你可以問我,「吉爾,你還記得我借給(lent)你的那支筆嗎?
I need it now.」
我現在需要它。」
I feel bad that I forgot to return the pen.
我忘了還筆,感到很抱歉。
I say, 「Sorry, Tina!
我說:「對不起,蒂娜!
I forgot that I borrowed it.
我忘了我(和你)借筆了。
Here you are!」
給!」
Be careful: personal pronouns like me, you, him and others never come after the verb 「borrow,」
注意:人稱代詞,如「me」、 「you」、 「him」和「others」都不會出現在動詞「borrow」之後,
but it is correct to use them after 「lend,」 as in, 「Lend me a dollar for some ice cream.」
但是用在「lend」 之後是正確的,比如「Lend me a dollar for some ice cream.」(「借給我一美元買冰淇淋」)
I hope this helps you understand 「lend」 and 「borrow.」
希望這能幫助你理解「lend」 和「borrow」。
And that’s Ask a Teacher!
以上就是本期《名師答疑》的全部內容!
I’m Jill Robbins.
我是吉爾·羅賓斯。