It's good to talk
談話有益
Welcome to 6 Minute English, where we bring you a thoughtful topic and six items of vocabulary.
歡迎收聽六分鐘英語,在該節目中我們會探討有思想的話題,奉上六個有用的單詞。
I’m Rob…
我是羅伯。
And I’m Neil. So I was watching an old Woody Allen movie last night…
我是尼爾。我昨晚在看伍迪·艾倫的老電影。
OK. Is he the anxious middle-aged guy from New York who talks about his problems all the time?
他是不是中年焦慮的紐約人,總是談論自己的問題?
That’s the one.
就是他。
He was paying for… psychoanalysis – and that’s a type of talk therapy that was popular in the 1970s.
他花錢進行心理分析,這是20世紀70年代流行的一種談話心理治療方式。
Do you know what therapy means, Rob?
你知道therapy是什麼意思嗎,羅伯?
Yes. Therapy means a type of treatment for a problem or illness.
知道。Therapy(治療)是指解決問題或治癒治病的方法。
And talk therapy is a treatment for psychological problems
談話治療是解決心理問題的一種治療方式,
– which means problems of the mind – in case you were struggling with another long Greek word, Neil!
psychological problems是指思想上的問題,假如你很糾結另一個很長的希臘詞彙。
Trained therapists work with you on ways to understand your thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
訓練有素的治療師會跟你一起了解你的想法、感受和行為。
Hey, Rob, I’m an expert on long Greek words.
羅伯,我可是長的希臘詞彙的專家。
Psychology is the noun, by the way.
順便說一句,psychology是名詞。
And the prefix "psycho-" in front of any word means to do with the mind.
其前綴psycho-放在某一詞前,代表這個詞和思想有關。
For example the horror movie Psycho, which is all about the disturbed mind of the main character, Norman Bates…
例如恐怖電影《驚魂記》,講的是主人公諾曼·貝茨錯亂的思想。
…Where "disturbed" means not thinking or behaving in a normal way – because you have psychological problems.
disturbed是指不能以正常的方式思考或行動,因為你有心理問題。
Norman Bates would have found talk therapy helpful, don’t you think?
諾曼·貝茨會發現談話治療很有用的,你覺得呢?
Hmm. I’m not sure really.
我不確定。
Anyway, let’s have a quiz question – shall we now, Neil?
總之,讓我們看看今天的問題,現在看看,怎麼樣?
Can you tell me who invented the first talk therapy?
你能告訴我誰第一個發明了談話治療嗎?
Was it… a) Boris Karloff, b) Carl Jung or c) Sigmund Freud?
a) 鮑裡斯·卡洛夫, b) 卡爾·榮格還是 c) 西格蒙德·弗洛伊德?
I’m going to go for Sigmund Freud.
我選弗洛伊德。
OK. Interesting answer – we』ll find out later whether it was the right one or not.
有趣的答案,之後我們再看你回答得是否正確。
Now, moving on, what do you think is the most common psychological problem today, Neil?
接著說,你覺得如今最常見的心理問題是什麼呢?
It’s depression.
是抑鬱。
And depression – a feeling of unhappiness that can affect your thoughts, behaviour and feelings
抑鬱是指不開心的感覺,會影響你的思想、舉止和感受。
– is the most common psychological problem affecting people throughout the world.
這是影響全世界人的最常見的心理問題。
How depressing! That’s the adjective!
多麼令人抑鬱!這是形容詞形式!
It makes me feel depressed just thinking about it.
一想起它就讓我感覺很抑鬱。
And depressed is the adjective we use to describe how we are feeling.
depressed也是形容詞,我們用來描述自己的感受。
Don’t feel depressed, Rob!
別抑鬱,羅伯!
Let’s listen to Professor Brent Roberts from the University of Illinois to find out more about the benefits of talk therapy.
我們聽聽伊利諾伊大學布蘭特·羅伯茨教授講述談話治療的好處。
Seeing a therapist does result in marked changes in psychological functioning.
看治療師會對心理技能產生顯著的變化。
So people get less depressed and they get less anxious, and it seems to be regardless of what type of intervention is engaged in.
人們的抑鬱會減少,焦慮也會減輕,無論是哪種的治療幹預都會產生這樣的效果。
And that is… and that has been one of the more positive aspects of the therapy research that we』ve seen.
這是我們看到的心理研究最積極的方面。
So when people talk to therapists about their problems,
當人們和治療師交流他們的問題後,
it results in marked changes in their psychological functioning – marked here means obvious or noticeable.
會對心理技能產生顯著的變化,marked是指明顯的,可以注意到的。
And these marked changes are that people become less depressed and anxious!
這些明顯的變化有,人們的抑鬱和焦慮減輕。
An intervention, by the way, is something you do to improve a medical problem
順便提一下,幹預是指你做某事來改善醫療問題。
– and in this context, it refers to different types of talk therapy.
在當下的語境中是指談話治療的不同方式。
But why is talking about our problems helpful, Neil?
為什麼交流對我們的問題有幫助呢,尼爾?
I think it gives a shape to our problems.
我覺得交流讓我們的問題具體化。
It makes them seem clearer – and that’s a first step in being able to manage them.
讓問題更清晰的顯露,這是我們處理問題的第一步。
Also, a problem shared is a problem halved, as the saying goes.
俗話說,兩人分擔,問題減半。
There’s also some scientific evidence that talk therapy can change the way we think and feel
還有科學證據證明談話治療會改變我們思考和感受的方式,
– by replacing negative thought patterns with positive ones.
通過用積極的思考方式替代消極的思考方式。
Medication can also change the way we think and feel.
藥物治療也會改變我們思考和感受的方式。
Some people take pills to treat depression.
一些人服用藥物來治療抑鬱。
But medication can have negative effects, for example it can make you feel sleepy during the daytime.
但藥物有一些副作用,例如會讓你在白天感到很困。
Well, here’s a positive thought – let’s check how much we』ve learned today by going over today’s vocabulary!
這裡有一個積極的辦法,讓我們瀏覽一遍今天的單詞看看我們學到了多少。
We had therapy…
我們提到了治療。
Therapy is a type of treatment for a problem or illness.
治療是指解決問題或治癒疾病的方式。
There’s therapy – therapist – therapeutic.
治療方式,治療師,治癒的。
My therapist is using a new therapy with me – it’s very therapeutic!
我的治療師使用新的治療方式來治療我,這種方式非常治癒。
Therapeutic means treating an illness – but in a more general sense, it can simply mean relaxing.
治癒的是指治療疾病,但廣義的來說,它也簡單地指放鬆的。
For example, I find listening to music very therapeutic.
例如我發現聽音樂非常治癒,非常放鬆。
OK. Next up – psychological – relating to the mind.
下一個單詞是心理的,和思想有關。
Psychology– psychologist – psychological.
心理,心理學家,心理的。
Depression and anxiety are both psychological problems.
抑鬱和焦慮都是心理問題。
My friend is studying psychology at university.
我朋友在大學研究心理學。
I want to be a famous psychologist.
我想成為一名著名的心理學家。
A career change at your age, Neil?!
你這個年紀還想換工作?
You』ve kept that one a secret.
你要守住這個秘密。
OK. Number three – disturbed – not thinking or behaving in a normal way because you have psychological problems.
好了,第三個單詞是錯亂的,指因為有心理問題而不能以正常的方式思考和行動。
She was a disturbed young woman.
這位年輕女士有點精神錯亂。
Or disturbing – I』ve been having very disturbing dreams recently.
disturbing(令人不安的)。我最近經常做一些令人不安的夢。
Poor Neil! Disturbing here means upsetting or worrying.
可憐的尼爾。令人不安的是指沮喪的,令人擔心的。
Next item – depression – a feeling of unhappiness that can affect your thoughts, behaviour, and feelings.
下一個詞是指抑鬱,一種不開心的感受,會影響你的思想、舉止和感受。
We felt depressed by the news.
我們聽到這個消息非常壓抑。
The news was very depressing!
這個消息令人非常壓抑。
All right. Let’s lift the mood – marked means obvious or noticeable.
好了,讓我們提起情緒,marked是指明顯的,可以注意到的。
There’s been a marked improvement in your English homework!
你的英語作業有了顯著的進步。
There was a marked increase in the company’s profits last year!
該公司去年的利潤有了顯著提高。
And finally – intervention – something you do to improve a problem – medical or otherwise.
最後我們提到幹預,是指你做某事來改善問題,醫療問題或其他問題。
Let me intervene at this point – intervene – that’s the verb and in this context it means to interrupt
讓我插一句,intervene,是動詞,在該語境中是指插入,
– and say we』ve forgotten the quiz question, Rob!!
我要說的是我們忘了公布今天問題的答案,羅伯!
Oh, no! Good intervention.
對!介入的好!
Yes, let’s remind ourselves of that quiz question: who invented the first talk therapy?
讓我們想一下今天的問題:誰最先發明了談話療法。
And you said Sigmund Freud, which is the right answer, so well done, Neil!
你說的是弗洛伊德,這就是正確答案,做的不錯!
Psychoanalysis was invented in the early 1890s by Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud.
心理分析由奧地利神經學家弗洛伊德於19世紀80年代發明。
The patient lies on a couch and talks about their thoughts, feelings and dreams while the therapist listens.
病人躺在沙發上,講述他們的思想、感受和夢,治療師在一旁聽著。
Psychoanalytic sessions typically last 50 minutes and take place 4 to 5 times a week.
心理分析通常持續50分鐘,每周四到五次。
OK. Good to know. But I think I prefer our own brand of talk therapy here on the show.
很高興了解這些。但我更喜歡節目中我們自己的談話治療品牌。
And listeners – you can express your thoughts and feelings by visiting our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages.
聽眾朋友們,你可以訪問我們的 Facebook, Twitter, Instagram 和 YouTube主頁,表達你們的想法和感受。
Talk to you again soon! Bye bye!
下一次繼續與你們訴說。再見!
So tell me about your childhood, Rob…
那麼,羅伯,給我講講你的童年吧。