Welcome to English in a Minute, where we teach you all about idioms in American English.
歡迎來到一分鐘英語,在這裡我們將告訴你所有的美國俚語。
What do you think this means? Let's listen.
你知道這是什麼意思嗎?讓我們來聽聽例子吧。
Keep my fingers crossed.
祝你好運(交叉手指以求好運)
A: Hey, How are you? 嘿,最近好嗎?
B: Hey, I am doing great. Actually, I just had a great job interview the other day. I really hope they hire me.哈嘍。我最近還不錯。事實上,我幾天前去面試一份不錯的工作。希望面試通過。
A: Oh, have you heard back from them?哇,那你有沒有收到回復呢?
B: No, not yet. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully they'll call me
today.還沒有呢。但祝我好運吧。希望他們能在今天回復我吧。
They sound very hopeful, and that's exactly what it means.
聽起來他們充滿著希望,這也是正是這個短語的真正含義。
In American English, keeping your fingers crossed means that you are hoping for the best possible outcome. This is a happy expression, and you can use it in any situation -- formal an informal -- and everybody will understand what you mean.
在美國英語中,交叉手指表示你在祈禱某事能有好結果。這是個快樂的短語,並且你可以運用到任何場景---正式或者口頭表達---每個人都會理解你要表達的意思。
And that's English in a Minute.
這裡是一分鐘英語。