本文由滬江英語原創,未經許可禁止轉載。
看美劇的時候,是不是經常get不到老外的笑點!因為有很多俚語,你都聽不懂。
今天英大來教你,老外最常用的俚語。趕緊背起來。
因為俚語數量過多,所以我們分成兩篇。今天是第一篇~
In the nick of time
緊要關頭
You gave me that main idea help in the nick of time – my teacher just gave us a quiz on that reading skill and I passed it!
你在緊要關頭幫我找到了主旨——我的老師剛剛安排了一場關於閱讀技巧的測驗,我通過了!
Let the cat out of the bag
說出秘密
Brady’s surprise party is going to be great if you don’t let the cat out of the bag.
如果你保守秘密的話,布雷迪的驚喜派對會非常棒的!
Let the chips fall where they may
讓某事發生,不管是好是壞
I'm going to just try out for the cheerleading squad and let the chips fall where they may.
不管結果怎樣,我都會去試著參加啦啦隊。
Lose your marbles
變得瘋狂
Mom has really lost her marbles; she's making me practice writing the Enhanced ACT Essay seven times this week!
我媽媽真是要瘋了;這個星期她讓我寫了七遍ACT的作文!
Once in a blue moon
罕見的
In Florida, the temperature drops below freezing only once in a blue moon.
在弗羅裡達,氣溫降到零度以下是非常罕見的。
Plain as day
顯而易見的
It’s plain as day that you’re in love with her, so just admit it.
顯而易見你已經愛上她了,承認吧。
Play second fiddle
居次位
I hate playing second fiddle to my sister; she always does things better than I do!
我真是討厭落在我姐姐的下風,她總是比我做得好!
Put your foot in your mouth
說錯話
Jessica really put her foot in her mouth when she asked about John’s job right after he lost it.
傑西卡居然在約翰失業後問起他的工作,真是說錯話了。
Pull yourself together
冷靜下來;振作起來
Pull yourself together, man! Sure, your girlfriend just dumped you and then you got hit by a car, but you can't let those things get you down.
振作起來,兄弟!雖然你被女朋友甩了,又被車撞了,但你不能讓這些事把你擊垮。
Sick and tired
被打擾或困擾
She is sick and tired of her dog chewing up her shoes every day.
她的狗每天都會啃她的鞋子,讓她鬱悶不已。
Sleep on it
在做決定前先考慮一會
Don’t tell me whether you』ll move to Texas with me or not today. Sleep on it, and get back to me tomorrow.
今天不要告訴我,你會不會一起搬去德州。先考慮一下,明天再回復我。
Snug as a bug in a rug
溫暖舒適的;滿足的
That baby looks as snug as a bug in a rug cuddled up next to his mother.
那個小寶貝蜷縮在媽媽的身邊,一副很舒服滿足的樣子。
Step up your game
迎頭趕上
Listen, Jen. You'd better step up your game if you want to get all A's in Miss Finch's Physics class. She isn't easy!
聽著,珍。如果你想在芬奇老師的課上得全A,就得奮起直追。她可不是好糊弄的!
Stick your nose into something
幹涉
Sharon always sticks her nose into everyone else’s business.
莎倫經常幹涉別人的事。
Straight from the horse's mouth
來自最可靠的消息
Listen to the news straight from the horse’s mouth; we’re all getting bonuses this week!
據最可靠的消息說,我們這周都會領到獎金啦!
Take it easy
放鬆
I know you’re not feeling well, so try to take it easy today.
我知道你難受,今天試著放鬆一下吧。
Tip of the iceberg
冰山一角
The fact that Carrie is dating a member of the mafia is just the tip of the iceberg; she’s also smuggling contraband into the country.
卡莉和黑手黨的人見面的事實只是冰山一角,她還參與向這個國家走私違禁品。
To not see the wood for the trees
一葉障目
She always argues about the silliest things; it’s like she can’t see the wood for the trees.
她總是在一些雞毛蒜皮的事上不肯罷休;就像看不到最重要的部分一樣。
Up a creek without a paddle
處於困境之中
If you don’t have any money to pay for the repairs we just made to your car, I guess you’re up a creek without a paddle because you can’t have your car back.
如果你沒錢支付汽車的修理費的話,那就麻煩了,因為你休想要回你的車。
You rock!
你真棒!
Dude. You rock. Thanks for offering to watch my pet iguana all week.
兄弟你真棒!謝謝你主動提出照顧我的蜥蜴一整周。
編輯:然少
排版:芒果
由於後臺技術維護,留言功能暫停一周。
大家想表達啥,在後臺發消息給英大哦!
【感恩節福利】
一波感恩節清(禮)流(物)來襲~
學習的同時,拼手速吃火雞,還能拿大禮!
暴風魔鏡、kindle、cc靠枕就藏在下方二維碼中
↓長按二維碼識別↓
馬上玩遊戲!
二維碼識別不了的小夥伴,
點閱讀全文,進入遊戲
↓↓