愛德華·喬治·盧迪今天去世了
Edward George Ruddy died today.
愛德華·喬治·盧迪是我們聯合廣播公司
Edward George Ruddy was the chairman of the board
董事會的主席
of the Union Broadcasting Systems
他今天上午11點死於心臟病發
and he died at 11:00 this morning
我們真難過 我們遇到了很多困難
of a heart condition, and woe is us, we're in a lot of trouble.
你會說 只不過是一個富有的白頭髮的矮個男人去世了
So a rich little man with white hair died.
與米價又沒有什麼關係
What has that got to do with the price of rice, right?
我們難過什麼呢
And why is that woe to us?
因為你們
Because you people
還有正在看我節目的6200萬美國觀眾
and 62 million other Americans are listening to me right now.
因為你們當中看書的人不到3%
Because less than 3 percent of you people read books.
看報紙的不到15%
Because less than 15 percent of you read newspapers.
你們只關心怎樣才能從電視裡找到解脫
Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube.
現在 有整整一代人
Right now, there is a whole and entire generation
根本不知道電視外面是什麼
that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube.
電視是福音是最終的啟示
This tube is the Gospel. The ultimate revelation.
它能讓你當上總統教皇總理
This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers!
也能把你從這些位子上拽下來
This tube is the most awesome goddamn force
它是這個不信神的世界裡 最強大的令人敬畏的力量
in the whole godless world!
如果電視被壞人利用了 我們難道不應該難過嗎
And woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people.
這就是為什麼愛德華·喬治·盧迪的死
And that's why woe is us
會讓我們大家都難過
that Edward George Ruddy died.
現在這個公司已經在美國通訊公司的控制之下了
Because this company is now in the hands of CCA
美國通訊公司
the Communication Corporation of America.
董事會有了一個新主席
There's a new chairman.
他的名字叫弗蘭克·哈克特
A man called Frank Hackett
坐在20層的盧迪先生的辦公室裡
sitting in Mr. Ruddy's office on the 20th floor!
當世界上第12大的公司
And when the 12th largest company in the world
掌管了這個不信神的世界裡
controls the most awesome, goddamn propaganda force
最強大的令人敬畏的宣傳力量
in the whole godless world
誰知道以後這個公司會打著真理的旗號傳播多少屁話
who knows what shit will be peddled for truth on this network.
所以聽我說 聽我說
So you listen to me. Listen to me!
電視不是真理
Television is not the truth.
電視只是個遊樂場
Television's a goddamned amusement park.
電視是馬戲團 是嘉年華 是流動的雜技班子
Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats
是講故事的 跳舞的 唱歌的 變戲法的 雜耍的
storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, sideshow freaks,
馴獅子的 玩橄欖球的
lion-tamers and football players.
我們的工作就只是打發無聊
We're in the boredom-killing business.
如果你想要真理 去找上帝
So if you want the truth, go to God.
去你的宗教指導那裡
Go to your gurus.
去你自己那裡
Go to yourselves.
因為只有那裡你才能找到真正的真理
Because that's the only place you're ever gonna find any real truth.
但是 你永遠也不會從我們這裡得到真理
But, man, you're never gonna get any truth from us.
我們會告訴你你愛聽的 我們說謊眼睛都不眨
We'll tell you anything you want to hear. We lie like hell.
我們會告訴你神探高捷 總是能找到兇手
We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer
而且亞奇·邦克家裡沒有人會得癌症
and that nobody ever gets cancer in Archie Bunker's house.
無論主角們身陷怎樣的危境 都不用擔心
No matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry
看看表 這個小時過完他保證能闖過來
just look at your watch, at the end of the hour he's gonna win!
我們會給你講你想聽的任何屁話
We'll tell you any shit you want to hear.
我們玩的就是虛的 沒有一樣是實在的
We deal in illusions, man. None of it is true.
但是你們大家日復一日 夜復一夜地坐在這裡
But you people sit there, day after day, night after night
你們有著不同的年紀膚色信仰
all ages, colors, creeds.
我們是你們所了解的一切
We're all you know.
你們願意相信
You're beginning to believe
我們在這裡編織的幻境
the illusions we're spinning here.
你們會認為電視是現實 你們的生活是不真實的
You're beginning to think the tube is reality and that your own lives are unreal.
你願意做電視裡讓你做的任何事
You do whatever the tube tells you.
你像電視裡一樣穿 一樣吃
Dress like the tube, you eat like the tube
像電視裡一樣養孩子 甚至像電視裡一樣思考
raise your children like the tube, you think like the tube.
這就是民眾的瘋狂 你們瘋了你們知道嗎
This is mass madness, you maniacs.
我以上帝的名義告訴你們 你們才是真正存在的
In God's name, you people are the real thing.
我們是幻象是假的
We are the illusion.
所以 把你們的電視關上 現在就關上
So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now.
把它們關上 以後再也不用了
Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off.
在我這句話說到一半時 把它們關上
Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now.
關上電視
Turn them off!