一隻母雞去寵物店裡買寵物,可是她選中的是一隻狐狸!後面會發生什麼有趣的故事呢?我們一起來看看吧~
A hen went into a pet shop.
一隻母雞走進了寵物店。
"May I help you?" asked the pig behind the counter.
「我能為您做點什麼嗎?」站在櫃檯後的豬店員說。
"I want a pet," said the hen.
「我想買只寵物,」母雞說。
"That's why I'm here."
「我就是為這個來的。」
"How about a mouse?" said the pig.
「老鼠怎麼樣?」豬說。
"Very small,quiet,a perfect pet."
「它很小,很安靜,會是個完美的寵物。」
"No,no,no," said the hen,
「不,不,不,」母雞說。
"a mouse is too squeaky."
「老鼠老是吱吱叫。」
"How about a rabbit?" said the pig.
「那兔子呢?」豬店員說。
"Rabbits never squeak and they're cuddly pets."
「兔子從來不吱吱叫,它們多討人喜歡啊。」
"No,no,no," said the hen,"a rabbit isn't right ...
「不,不,不,」母雞搖搖頭,「兔子也不對 ...
What's that,over there?"
那是什麼,那邊那個?」
"That," said the pig,"is a fox."
「那個,」豬店員說,「是只狐狸。」
"I'll take him," said the hen.
「我就要它了,」母雞決定道。
"He's just what I want."
「他就是我想要的寵物。」
"She's crazy," muttered the pig.
「她是不是瘋了,」豬店員喃喃自語道。
"Dotty as a doughnut...
「古裡古怪的 ...
Do you want him wrapped, Madam?"
你想把它打包帶走嗎,女士?」
"No,thank you," said the hen.
「不用了,謝謝,」母雞說。
"We're walking home."
「我們就這麼走回去。」
She paid the pig,took the fox by the paw, and off they went.
她付完帳,牽著狐狸的瓜子走了。
They had only gone a little way, when the fox sat down.
他們還沒走出多遠,狐狸就坐下來了。
"I'm thirsty," he said. "Foxes need plenty of lemonade to drink."
「我渴了,」狐狸說。 「狐狸需要喝很多檸檬水。」
"I didn't know that," said the hen.
「我還真不知道這個,」母雞說。
"I'll make you some lemonade when we get home."
「回家了我會給你泡檸檬水的。」
"I have to rest," said the fox a little later.
「我得休息一下,」沒一會兒狐狸又說道。
"Foxes can't walk very far."
「狐狸走不了多遠。」
"I didn't know that," said the hen ...
「這個我也不知道,」母雞說 ...
"Sit in my shopping trolley. I'll push you."
"坐到我的小推車上來吧,我推你。」
The hen was hot and tired by the time they reached her house.
到家的時候母雞已經又熱又累了。
She made a jug of lemonade,
她泡了一大壺檸檬水。
but the fox drank it all
但是狐狸一下就喝完了,
before she could pour herself a glassful.
她還沒來得及給自己倒一杯呢。
"I'm hungry," said the fox."Where's the pie?"
「我餓了,」狐狸說。「餅在哪兒?」
"Pie?" said the hen. "Is that what foxes eat?
「餅?」母雞問道。「狐狸是吃餅的嗎?
I didn't know that!"
這個我又不知道了!」
"Foxes loves pie," said the fox.
「狐狸可喜歡吃餅了,」狐狸回答道。
"Can you make pastry?"
「你能給我做點點心吃嗎?」
"Of course,right away," said the hen.
「當然可以啦,馬上好,」母雞回答道。
"Hurry it up," said the fox."I'm starving."
「快點兒,」狐狸說,「我要餓死了。」
"Hens loves pie,too," said the hen.
「其實母雞也喜歡吃餅,」母雞說。
"Apple,blackberry ...worm pie is my favourite. What sort of pie do you like?" she asked the fox.
「我們還喜歡吃蘋果,黑莓 ...蟲子餅是我最愛吃的。你喜歡吃什麼餅呢?」母雞問狐狸。
"You'll see," said the fox,as he popped the pastry into a pie dish
「你會知道的,」狐狸說,它急匆匆地把餅放進盤子裡,
and tossed in a few sliced mushrooms.
又扔進去一些切好的蘑菇。
"It's a surprise."
「這是個驚喜。」
"This IS interesting," said the hen."What's next?"
「真是有趣啊。」母雞說。「然後呢?」
"Next," said the fox,
「然後,」狐狸說,
"is a nice,fat hen-not too clever."
「我們要放一隻善良的,肥肥的,不太聰明的母雞。」
"That's me!" said the hen.
「那不是我嗎?」母雞說。
"I'm nice and fat and not too clever."
「我就是善良的,肥肥的,不太聰明的母雞。」
"Well,"said the fox,
「是啊,」狐狸說,
"what are you waiting for? Jump in!"
「那你還等什麼?還不快跳進來!」
"Good grief!" squawked the hen.
「天哪!」母雞大叫道。
"You were making CHICKEN pie!
「你在做雞肉餅!
I didn't know THAT!"
這我可不知道啊」
And she whacked the fox
接著她拿起燉鍋
on the head with a saucepan,
砸向狐狸的頭,
threw him in her shopping trolley,
然後把暈了的狐狸扔到小推車裡,
and marched right back to the pet shop.
快步走回了寵物店。
"You were right," said the hen to the pig behind the counter.
「你說的對,」豬對站在櫃檯後面的豬店員說。
"I don't want a fox."
「我不想要狐狸了。」
"Well,well," said the pig.
「好的,好的,」豬店員說。
"Do you see anything else you like?"
「你看看有沒有什麼別的喜歡的寵物?」
"I like that one over there," said the hen.
「我喜歡那邊那個,」母雞說。
"That's exactly the pet I want.
「那就是我想要的寵物。
Wrap it up,please."
包起來,謝謝。」
"Anything you say!" said the pig ...
「你說了算!」豬店員一邊說 ...
as he wrapped up the crocodile.
一邊把鱷魚包了起來。