Hello everyone and welcome back to English with Lucy.
大家好,歡迎回到跟著 Lucy 學英語。
I'm right here in front of my favourite tree.
我就在我最喜歡的樹前。
A lot of you seemed to like it last time.
上次你們很多人似乎都喜歡。
So don't worry if not, I will bring back the white background when necessary.
不用擔心,如果不喜歡的話,我會在必要的時候回到白色背景。
However, I have some very important news.
但是,我要說一些非常重要的消息。
Said is dead.
「Said」這個詞已經死了。
Yes, that's right, the word said is dead now.
是的,沒錯,「said」這個詞已經死了。
We're not going to use it anymore.
現在我們不再使用它了。
Obviously I'm joking.
顯然我在開玩笑。
However, English is my mother tongue and I overuse said.
但是英語是我的母語,而我過度使用「said」。
I actually remember having lessons at school when I was a little girl, about alternatives for said.
我真的記得小時候在學校上課的時候學過「said」的替換說法。
This really helped me with my writing and my vocabulary so now naturally, I'm going to pass that knowledge onto you.
它對我的寫作和詞彙幫助很大,所以現在我自然會將這些知識傳遞給你們。
In this lesson, I am going to give you 50, I hope that's 50, who knows? 50 alternatives for the word said.
在本課中,我要教你們 50 個,我希望是50個,誰知道呢?50個「said」的替換說法。
And these alternative will be conveniently grouped into 10 little categories.
而這些替換說法會被分為10個小類便於使用。
Now 50 might sound quite a lot, but I have included all 50 alternatives into one story.
50 個聽起來可能很多,但我已經將所 50 個替換說法編進了一個故事裡。
Yes, today, I'm going to be reading you a story that is also a vocab and listening lesson.
是的,今天我要給你們讀故事,所以這也是詞彙和聽力課。
And the best part is, it's a true story about my first job as a waitress.
最棒的是,這是關於我的第一份工作,當女服務員,的真實故事。
Now this is a lot of vocabulary, so I have created PDF with all of the vocabulary.
因為有很多詞彙,所以我製作一個包含所有詞彙的 pdf 文件。
You can download it.
你可以下載。
All you have to do sign up to my mailing list.
你需要做的就是註冊我的郵件列表。
The link is in the description.
連結在描述欄裡。
Now, before we get started with the story, I would just like to thank the sponsor of today's lesson.
在開始講故事之前,我要感謝今天課程的贊助商。
It is italki.
那就是 italki。
Now, if you haven't heard of italkie before, it's a huge online database of teachers who will give you one-to-one video lessons.
如果你之前從未聽說過 italki,它是一個在線教師資料庫,將一對一地給你提供視頻課程。
You can learn English and over 130 other languages.
你可以學習英語和超過130種其他語言。
It is such an affordable way of learning.
這是一種負擔得起的學習方式。
Believe me, it is much cheaper than an offline academy or an in-person tutor.
相信我,它比線下學院或個人老師要便宜得多。
So many of my students here message me and ask me, how can I meet with English speakers to practise my conversation?
我的很多學生給我發消息,問我如何與講英語的人見面練習對話。
Italki is a fantastic option because not only do they have qualified teachers, they also have community teachers who will practise conversation with you.
italki 是一個不錯的選擇,因為他們不僅有合格的老師,還有與你練習對話的社區老師。
They've given me a special offer to pass on to you.
他們通過我給了你們特別優惠。
You can get $10 worth of ialki credits for free in your student wallet, 48 hours after making your first purchase of any amount.
你可以在首次購買任意金額的課程後的 48 小時內獲得價值10 美元的 italki 代金券,它會放入你的學生錢包。
That could be an entire free lesson.
這相當於是一節免費課程。
Click on the link in the description box to sign up and claim your credits.
請點擊描述框中的連結來註冊並獲取你的代金券。
Right, let's get started with the story and the vocab lesson.
好的,讓我們開始講故事,並開始我們的詞彙課程吧。
Here is the first part of the story.
以下是故事的第一部分。
As I've previously stated, I used to work as waitress.
正如我之前說過,我曾經當過女服務員。
I've remarked on this and a couple of older videos.
我在這個視頻和一些較早的視頻中對此進行了評論。
I am pleased to report that nobody was harmed during my time as a waitress, but I will add that some customers didn't receive what they ordered.
我很高興地報告,我在當女服務員期間沒有人受到傷害,但我要補充一下,一些顧客沒有收到他們點的東西。
Okay, so in that section of the story, we have four, that's three, four alternatives for said, and these are all grouped under the heading of no emotion or normal.
好的,所以在故事的那一部分,我們有四個,那是三,四個「said」的替換說法,這些都歸在「無情感或正常」的標題下。
You'll see going forward, that a lot of the other alternatives have emotion or feelings attached to them, or they're used for a specific purpose.
你接下來會看到很多其它都帶有情感的替換說法,或者它們被用於特定目的。
So we have one, to state.
所以我們有第一個,聲明。
To state.
聲明。
Two, to remark.
第二個,評論。
To remark.
評論。
Three, to report.
第三個,報告。
To report.
報告。
And four, to add.
第四個,補充。
To add.
補充。
Now onto the next group of alternatives, we have alternatives for when you're asking a question or replying.
在下一組替換說法中,當你問問題或回答問題時,我們還有替換說法。
So this is how I got my first job.
這就是我如何獲得第一份工作的。
It's a conversation between me and my mum.
這是我和我媽媽之間的對話。
"How can I get a job when I live in a tiny village with no shops?" I asked.
「我要如何在一個沒有商店的小村莊找到工作?」我問。
"Why don't you try the local pub?" answered my mum.
「你為什麼不嘗試當地的酒吧?」我媽媽回答。
"That's a very good idea," I acknowledged.
「這是一個非常好的主意,」我承認道。
So later that day, I walked into the pub.
所以那天晚些時候我走進酒吧。
"Do you have any vacancies for a weekend waitress?" I inquired.
「你們的周末服務員有空缺嗎?」我詢問道。
"We might be able to make some space for you!" replied the landlady, Linda.
「我們也許可以給你留一個位置!」女店主琳達回復道。
"Please make space for me!" I begged.
「請給我留個位置!」我乞求道。
"Can I see your CV?" she requested.
「我能看看你的簡歷嗎?」她要求。
"I can show you my exam grades but I don't have any work experience," I explained.
「我可以給你看我的考試成績,但是我沒有任何工作經驗,」我解釋道。
"Why would I care about your exam grades?
「為什麼我會關心你的考試成績?
This is a pub.
這是酒吧。
You can start on Saturday!" she retorted.
你可以星期六開始!」她反駁道。
Okay, we finished the second part of the story.
好的,我們完成了故事的第二部分。
This is all based on my experience.
這一切都是基於我的經歷。
I remember feeling so embarrassed when they didn't want to see my exam grades.
我記得當他們不想看我的考試成績時我感到很尷尬。
Let's take a look at the alternatives for said, when you're asking questions.
讓我們來看看你在問問題時「said」的替換說法。
We have, to ask, pretty normal.
我們有問,很常見。
We also have, to inquire, which means you want to receive information about something.
我們還有詢問,這意味著你想接收有關某事的信息。
To beg means you really want something.
乞求的意思是你真的想要某物。
You're trying to persuade this person to do something.
你在說服這個人做某事。
And we also have, to request, which is maybe a little more polite.
我們還有要求,也許更禮貌一點。
Moving on to answers.
繼續說回答。
We have, to answer, pretty simple.
我們有答案,很簡單。
But an interesting one is, to acknowledge.
但有趣的一個說法是承認。
This means you accept something's true, or you accept that something's good.
這意味著你接受某事是真的,或者說你接受某事很好。
You accept someone's idea.
你接受某人的觀點。
We also have, to reply, to explain.
我們還有回覆,解釋。
They're fairly simple as well.
它們也很簡單。
But a really good one is, to retort, which is to reply sharply, almost with a bit of attitude.
但是有一個很不錯的詞,那就是反駁,意思是尖銳地回復,幾乎帶著一點脾氣。
Okay, let's move on to the next part of the story.
好的,我們繼續故事的下一部分。
And this includes alternatives for said that you can use to show happiness.
其中包括用來表達開心的「said」的替代說法。
When I got home to see my parents, Richard and Kim, I was so happy.
當我回家看見我的父母理察和金的時候,我很高興。
"I got the job!" I rejoiced.
「我得到了這份工作!」我高興地說。
"I knew that landlady was completely nuts!" joked my dad.
「我知道女店主完全瘋了!」我爸爸開玩笑說。
"You can't say that, Richard!" laughed my mum.
「你不能那樣說,理察!」我媽媽笑著說。
"Nuts or not, I'm officially employed!" I giggled.
「管她瘋不瘋,反正我被正式錄用了!」我咯咯笑道。
"You can start paying rent now!" smirked my dad.
「你現在可以開始付房租了!」我爸爸得意笑道。
"Jokes aside, we are really proud of you," beamed my mum.
「不開玩笑了,我們真的為你感到驕傲,」我媽媽眉開眼笑地說。
I remember this so well.
我記得非常清楚。
I felt so proud because I did just walk in there and come out with a job.
我感到很自豪,因為我只是走進去,然後出來就得到了一份工作。
I never in a million years expected that to happen.
我從未期望過這會發生。
So let's look at those alternatives more closely.
那麼我們更仔細地看看那些替代說法。
We have, to rejoice, which means you say something sort of whilst celebrating, you're so happy.
我們有開心地說,這意味著你說某事的時候有點慶祝的意味,你很高興。
We have, to joke, when you're making a joke.
我們取笑著說,當你在開玩笑的時候。
We have, to laugh, when someone is laughing whilst saying something.
我們有笑著說,指的是某人說話的時候在笑。
The same goes for giggle.
咯咯笑也是一樣。
A giggle is a cheekier laugh.
咯咯笑更放肆一些。
If you smirk, it means you're smiling in a sort of silly or smug way.
如果你得意地笑,這意味著你笑得有點傻或者有點沾沾自喜。
So my dad was pleased with his joke.
所以我父親對他的笑話感到滿意。
And we also say, to beam, which means to be really smiling.
而且我們還說了眉開眼笑,意思是真心地笑。
Let's move on to the next category.
我們進入下一個類別。
We've got two here.
這個類別裡有兩個詞。
We've got alternatives for saying things loudly and also alternatives for saying things in a scared or worried way.
我們有表示大聲說話的替代說法,以及表示害怕或緊張地說的替代說法。
I nervously entered the pub the following Saturday.
第二個周六,我緊張地進入酒吧。
"What do you want?" shouted Emily, the other waitress who was hoovering the floor.
「你想要什麼?」正在掃地的另一個女服務員艾米莉大喊。
"I'm the new waitress!" I yelled back in response.
「我是新來的女服務員!」我大吼著回應。
"John, the new waitress is here!" screamed Emily to the landlord, John.
「約翰,新來的女服務員到了!」艾米麗向店主約翰尖叫著說。
"Nice to meet you, John," I trembled.
「很高興認識你,約翰,」我發著抖說。
"How old are you?" boomed John, who clearly had a temper. "15," I stammered.
「你多大?」約翰粗聲說道,他顯然脾氣不好。「十五歲,」我結結巴巴地說。
"Why are you so young?" he exclaimed.
「你為什麼這麼小?」他驚叫道。
"I, I was just born a little late," I stuttered.
「我,我剛出生有點晚,」我口吃地說。
"Oh dear, John is not very happy," gulped Emily.
「哦,天哪,約翰不是很高興,」艾米麗倒吸一口冷氣。
Right, let's take a look at the vocab.
好的,我們來看看詞彙。
Firstly, let's look at the loud alternatives.
首先,讓我們看一下大聲說話的替代說法。
We have, to shout and to yell, which means you're using the top of your voice.
我們有大喊大叫,這意味著你用最大的聲音。
You're speaking very loudly.
你說話非常大聲。
We also have, to scream, which means even louder.
我們還有尖叫,這意味著聲音更大。
To boom is a good one.
粗聲粗氣地說這個詞很好。
This means you say something in a very imposing, low but loud voice.
它的意思是你說話的 聲音低沉而響亮。
And we also have, to exclaim.
我們也有驚呼。
This means, to say something loudly, but also showing a bit of surprise.
這意味著大聲說話,但也要表現出來有點驚訝。
And I'm not kidding, they did genuinely ask me why I was so young and I struggled to find an answer for that.
我不是在開玩笑,他們真的問了我為什麼這麼小,我努力尋找答案。
You employed me.
是你僱用了我。
Moving on to the alternatives that you can use when you're scared.
繼續介紹你可以在害怕的時候使用的替代說法。
We have, to tremble, which means you're shaking, if you're trembling.
我們在發抖,如果你在發抖,這意味著你在顫抖。
We also have, to stammer and to stutter, which means you're struggling to say your words.
我們還有結巴和口吃,意思是你費勁地說話。
S-s-sorry.
抱抱抱歉。
That was me stammering or stuttering.
這就是結巴或口吃。
The words aren't coming out smoothly.
話語沒有流暢地說出來。
And we also have, to gulp.
我們還有倒吸一口冷氣。
And this comes from when you go, you know, when you're scared of something, you swallow.
這時候你會這樣,你知道的,當你害怕的時候你會吞咽。
It's a good way to show that someone's worried about somebody's reaction or something that might happen.
這是表明某人擔心某人的反應或可能會發生的事情。
Okay, now we can move onto the next group of words, anger.
好的,現在我們可以繼續說下一組詞,憤怒。
This is a fun one.
這個很有趣。
So John and Linda, the landlord and the landlady, were a very passionate couple.
男店主約翰和女店主琳達,他們是一對非常熱情的夫婦。
They fought like cats and dogs, but they loved each other very much.
他們像貓和狗一樣打架,但他們彼此非常愛對方。
Here's an example of the first interaction that I heard between them on my first day.
這是我在第一天工作時聽到的他們之間聽到的第一次互動的例子。
"Where have you left the bottle opener?" demanded John.
「你把開瓶器放在哪了?」約翰命令道。
"How should I know?" snapped Linda.
「我怎麼知道?」琳達厲聲說。
"You were the last one to use it!" he thundered.
「你是最後一個使用它的人!」他暴怒。
"No, I wasn't.
不,我不是。
You had a drink after closing yesterday!" she fumed.
你昨天關門後喝了一杯!」她發火道。
"Well, you must have moved it!" he barked.
「哼,你肯定動過了!」他大吼道。
"I swear I haven't touched it!" she hissed.
「我發誓我沒碰過!」她低聲說道。
"Whatever.
「管他呢。
"I've just found it," he grunted.
「我剛剛找到了,」他道。
"Every time!" she ranted.
「每次都這樣!」她咆哮道。
Oh, those were fun to do. (chuckles)
哦,這樣太好玩了。
So there are eight here.
所以這裡說了八個詞。
It turns out there are lots of ways to show anger and annoyance.
事實上有很多表示憤怒的方式。
So to demand is to ask, but in an angry or insistent way.
命令指的是生氣地或堅定地問。
To snap is to say something in a quick or hurried way, normally with a negative attitude.
嗆聲就是快速或倉促地說某事,通常態度是負面的。
So Linda said, "How should I know?" really quickly and nastily.
琳達說:「我怎麼知道?」說得又快又表示了厭惡。
We have, to thunder.
我們有暴怒。
That's to say something very loudly and imposingly.
它指的是非常大聲,非常強勢地說。
To fume is to really show your anger whilst saying something.
怒氣衝衝表示你在說某事的時候表示你真的很生氣。
To bark, well it comes from the sound a dog makes.
大吼,這個詞來自於狗的叫聲。
They bark.
它們會吠。
And it's to say something like that, very loudly and maybe a bit aggressively.
它的意思是大聲說話,也許有點激進。
To hiss.
低聲說。
This is a good one.
這個詞很好。
This is when you're trying to hold in your anger.
它指的是你想要控制你的怒氣。
"I said, I didn't do it."
「我說了,我沒有做。」
You maybe keep your mouth quite closed.
你也許嘴巴閉得很緊。
To grunt.
咕噥。
That's when you say something gruffly without much effort.
它指的是你不費力地粗魯地說某事。
"Whatever, I've found it."
「管他呢,我找到了。」
It comes from the sound of pig makes.
它來自於豬發出的聲音。
You know, like.
你知道的,像這樣。
I can't believe I've just done that on camera.
我不敢相信我在鏡頭前這樣做了。
Similar to that, it's definitely a negative term.
與之類似,這肯定是一個負面的說法。
And then we have, to rant, which is like to nag.
然後我們有咆哮,類似於嘮叨。
You've done this and this, you haven't done this.
你做了這個和這個,你沒有做這個。
It's to moan at someone.
它指的是向某人抱怨。
Okay, onto the next one.
好的,下一組。
I have combined saying things in a bossy way and saying things quietly.
我把專橫地講話和安靜地講話結合在一起。
The waitress, Emily, made it quite obvious that she didn't want me to be there.
女服務員艾米莉很明顯地表明她不想讓我在那裡。
She made me do all of the rubbish jobs so I was hardly able to leave the kitchen.
她讓我做所有清理垃圾的工作,所以我幾乎不能離開廚房。
It was quite ironic as she had a terrible attitude and most of the customers hated her, but she insisted on doing all of the serving work.
諷刺的是因為她態度惡劣,大多數顧客都討厭她,但她堅持要做所有的服務工作。
I had to stay in the kitchen.
而我不得不留在廚房。
"To start today, you need to clean the toilet," she commanded.
「開始今天,你需要打掃廁所,」她命令道。
"Not a problem," I mumbled.
「沒問題」,我嘟噥著說。
"Then you can finish the washing up that I didn't do last night," she ordered.
「然後你就可以把昨晚我沒洗完的東西洗完,」她命令道。
"Okey dokey," I muttered.
「好的」,我喃喃自語。
"After that, you have to polish all of the knives in the cutlery drawer, whilst I go and serve the customers," she dictated.
「那之後,你必須拋光餐具抽屜中所有的刀,我要去服務顧客,」她頤指氣使道。
"Shouldn't I learn how to serve the customers too?" I whispered.
「我不應該也學習怎麼服務顧客嗎?」我小聲說。
"I'm the only person qualified to talk to the customers," she insisted.
「我是唯一有資格與客戶交談的人,」她堅持道。
Honestly, I don't have many negative things to say about people, but Emily, I've given everyone fake names, was the least pleasant person I may have ever met in my life.
說實話,我對一般不會說人壞話,但艾米莉,我給每個人起的都是化名,也許是我一生中遇見的最不喜歡的人。
She was so rude to people, not just to me.
她對人如此無禮,不只是我。
I wasn't the only one here.
我不是唯一的一個。
So let's look at the bossy alternatives.
所以讓我們看看專橫的替代說法。
We have, to command, to order, to dictate.
我們有命令。
These are all alternatives for telling someone what to do.
這些替代說法都是告訴別人做事。
We also have, to insist, and this is to really emphasise that you want someone to do something.
我們還有堅持,這指的是強調你希望某人做某事。
And then we have the quiet alternatives.
然後我們有安靜的替換說法。
We have, to mumble, and to mumble is to say something not so clearly, quietly and clearly so that maybe the other person can't hear you so well.
我們有嘟噥,嘟噥指的是說話不那麼清晰,安靜,不夠清晰,以至於其他人可能聽不清你說什麼。
We also have, to mutter, which is to say something kind of intending that the other person doesn't hear it.
我們還有喃喃自語,指的是故意讓對方聽不到的方式說話。
And we also have, to whisper, which means to say things without using your voice.
我們還有低聲說,這意味著不用聲音說話。
Okay, let's move on to the final part of the story.
好的,讓我們繼續講故事的最後一部分。
We have words that you can use to show that someone's sad or words that you can use to show that you are comforting someone.
我們有可以用來表示某人很傷心或你可以用來表示安慰某人的詞。
During my break, I called my mum to vent to her about Emily.
我在休息的時候給媽媽打電話跟她傾訴艾米麗的事。
To vent is to let everything out.
傾訴指的是把一切說出來。
Just let all of your emotions out.
表露你所有的情緒。
"Mum, I am having a terrible time!" I cried.
「媽媽,我過的很不好!」我哭道。
"Oh no, what's gone wrong?" she groaned.
「哦,不,怎麼了?」她嘆息道。
"Emily is making it obvious "that she doesn't want me there!" I bawled.
「艾米莉很明顯地表示她不想讓我呆在那!」我號哭著。
"Oh I can't stand that woman.
「哦,我不能忍受那個女人。
She is so unprofessional," reassured my mother.
她是如此的不專業,」我媽媽安慰道。
"She's making my time here very unpleasant!" I sobbed.
「她讓我在這裡過得很不愉快!」我抽泣道。
"I'm sure the landlady will see her for who she is very soon," she consoled.
「我確定女店主很快會看清她的,」她寬慰道。
"I don't think she will.
「我覺得不會的。
"She loves her!" I whined.
她愛她!」我哀鳴道。
Okay, so let's look at the ones expressing sadness.
好的,讓我們看看那些表達悲傷的詞。
We've got three that show that you are crying.
我們有三個表示你在哭的詞。
To cry, to bawl, which means really crying and to sob, which means that you're crying, but you're sort of struggling to catch your breath.
哭泣,號哭,意思是事大哭,還有抽泣,意思你在哭,但你呼吸有點困難。
Like that.
像那樣。
Then we have two that can be used for moaning.
然後我們有兩個表示呻吟的詞。
We have, to groan.
我們有嘆息。
To groan is to make the sound like that.
嘆息指的是像這樣。
So if you groan a sentence, "I don't want to," she groaned, for example.
如果你嘆息地說出一句話,例如,「我不想那樣」,她嘆息道。
And we also have, to whine.
我們還有哀鳴。
To whine is to complain about something.
哀鳴指的是抱怨某事。
So when I said that last sentence, "I don't think she will," I was whining.
當我說出最後一句話,「我認為她不會」,我就是在哀鳴。
Then we have the last two, to comfort.
然後我們有最後兩個詞,安慰。
To reassure and to console.
安慰和寬慰。
Both of these are used to show that someone is saying something to try and make another person feel better.
這兩個都是用來表示某人說話讓別人好受一點。
So we've had our 50 alternatives.
所以我們說了 50 個替換說法。
What was the outcome for Emily?
艾米莉的結局是什麼?
And what was the outcome for me?
我的結局是什麼?
Well, I was 15 then and I carried on working in that pub for, I was about to say 18 years, that's not true, for three years until I was 18 and it was a fantastic weekend job and I have definitely dramatised the landlords a bit.
嗯,那時我15歲,我繼續我在那家酒吧工作了,我本來要說 18 年的,不是的,我工作了三年,直到我18歲, 這是個很棒的周末工,我把店主說得有點戲劇化了。
They were lovely.
他們很好。
Emily, however, I have not dramatised.
但是艾米莉,我一點都沒有誇張。
She was horrible.
她很糟糕。
And she actually got fired or did she walk out?
她最終被解僱了還是她離職了?
I can't remember but there was a big argument and the workplace was much more pleasant when she wasn't there.
我不記得了,反正當時大吵了一場,她走之後,工作場所變得更愉快了。
I think she would be great at a job that doesn't involve people, potentially.
我認為她可能適合做不用跟人接觸的工作。
Maybe she could be a dog walker.
也許她可以當一個遛狗者。
Right, that's it for this lesson.
好的,今天的課就到這裡了。
If you want more information on all of the vocabulary, you can download my free PDF.
如果你想要所有詞彙相關的更多信息,你可以下面我免費的 PDF。
The link is in the description box.
連結就在描述欄裡。
Also don't forget to sign up for, italki.
還有不要忘記註冊 italki。
You can claim your $10 worth of italki credits by clicking in the link in the description box as well.
你也可以通過點擊描述欄中的連結來獲取你的 10 美元 的italki 代金券。
If you would like further listening practise, I also have a channel where I upload vlogs, subtitled vlogs of my daily life on an English farm.
如果想進一步鍛鍊聽力,我還有一個上傳視頻博客的頻道, 記錄了我在一家英國農場的日常生活的帶字幕的視頻博客。
That was just a little snippet back there, but many people seem to like it, so maybe you will too.
就是後面的一小塊地方,但很多人似乎都喜歡,所以也許你也會喜歡。
Don't forget to connect with me on all of my social media.
別忘記在我所有的社交媒體上聯繫我。
I've got my Facebook, my Instagram and my email list.
我有臉書、INS、還有電子郵件列表。
I will see you soon for another lesson.
我們下節課再見。