It was then that the fox appeared.
就在這時,一隻狐狸出現了。
「Good morning,」 said the fox.
「早上好!」狐狸說。
精彩講解,微信公眾號-英語美文串燒
「Good morning,」 the little prince responded politely, although when he turned around he saw nothing.
「早上好!」小王子很有禮貌地回答,儘管當他轉過頭的時候,什麼都沒看見。
「I am right here,」 the voice said, 「under the apple tree.」
「我在這裡,」那個聲音說道,「在蘋果樹的下面。」
「Who are you?」 asked the little prince, and added, 「You are very pretty to look at.」
「你是誰?」小王子問道,接著又說,「你看起來很漂亮。」
「I am a fox,」 said the fox.
「我是一隻狐狸。」狐狸說。
「Come and play with you,」 proposed the little prince. 「I am so unhappy.」
「過來和我一起玩吧,」小王子提議道,「我現在很不開心。」
「I cannot play with you,」 the fox said. 「I am not tamed.」
「我不能和你一起玩,」狐狸說,「我沒有被馴養。」
「Ah! Please excuse me,」 said the little prince.
「啊!對不起。」小王子說。
But, after some thought, he added:
但是,他想了一下,又問道:
「What does that mean - 『tame』?」
「馴養是什麼意思呢?」
「You do not live here,」 said the fox. 「What is it that you are looking for?」
「你不住在這裡,」狐狸說道,「那你到底在尋找什麼呢?」
「I am looking for men,」 said the little prince. 「What does that mean - 『tame』?」
「我在找人類。」小王子說,「馴養是什麼意思?」
「Men,」 said the fox. 「They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing. They also raise chickens. These are their only interests. Are you looking for chickens?」
「人類,」狐狸說道,「他們有槍,還會打獵,真討厭。不過他們還養雞,這是他們唯一可取之處,你在找雞嗎?」
「No,」 said the little prince. 「I am looking for friends. What does that mean - 『tame』?」
「不,」小王子說,「我在找朋友。什麼是馴養?」
精彩講解,微信公眾號-英語美文串燒
「It is an act too often neglected,」 said the fox. 「It means to establish ties.」
「它是一種常被忽視的行為,」狐狸說道,「意思是『建立關係』。」
「』To establish ties』?」
「『建立關係』?」
「Just that,」 said the fox. 「To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...」
「沒錯,」狐狸說,「對我來說,你只不過詩歌小男孩,和其他千萬個小男孩沒什麼區別。我不需要你,而你也不需要我。對你來說,我也只不過是只狐狸,和其他千萬隻狐狸沒兩樣。但是如果你馴養了我,那麼我們將彼此需要。對我來說,你將是這個世界上的唯一,對你來說,我也是這個世界上唯一的...」
「I am beginning to understand,」 said the little prince. 「There is a flower...I think that she has tamed me...」
「我開始懂了,」小王子說道,「有一朵花...我想她馴養了我...」
「It is possible,」 said the fox. 「On the Earth one sees all sorts of things.」
「有可能,」狐狸說,「在這個地球上,什麼事情都能看到。」
「Oh, but this is not on the Earth!」 said the little prince.
「哦,不過不是在這個地球上的事」
The fox seemed perplexed, and very curious.
狐狸看起來非常困惑,很好奇。
「On another planet?」
「在另外一個星球上嗎?」
「Yes.」
「是的。」
「Are there hunters on this planet?」
「那個星球上有獵人嗎?」
「No.」
「沒有。」
「Ah, that is interesting! Are there chickens?」
「哇,有意思!那有雞嗎?」
「No.」
「沒有。」
「Nothing is perfect,」 sighed the fox.
「看來沒有十全十美的事情,」狐狸嘆氣道。
But he came back to his idea.
但是他又回頭想。
精彩講解,微信公眾號-英語美文串燒
「My life is very monotonous,」 the fox said. 「I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat...」
「我的生活很單調,」狐狸說,「我抓雞,人類有抓我。所有的雞都一樣,所有的人也都一樣,因此我已經厭煩了。不過如果你馴養我,那我的生活就會充滿陽光。我就會知道你的腳步聲和別人的不一樣。其他人的腳步聲讓我匆匆躲到地底下,而你的腳步聲會像音樂一樣把我從我的洞穴中召喚出來。然後你看,看到那邊的麥地了嗎?我不吃麵包,麥子對我沒有用處,也不會讓我產生聯想。這很可悲。但是你有金黃色的頭髮。想想如果你馴養了我,那該有多美好啊!麥子也是金色的,這會讓我想起你,我也一會喜歡聽風吹麥浪的聲音。」
The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.
狐狸久久地凝視著小王子。
「Please - tame me!」 he said.
「請你馴養我吧!」他說
「I want to, very much,」 the little prince replied. 「But I have not much time. I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand.」
「我非常想,」小王子回答道,「但是我沒有太多時間,我要去找我的朋友,還有很多事情要弄明白。」
「One only understands the things that one tames,」 said the fox. 「Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things already made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me...」
「你只能弄懂你馴養的東西,」狐狸說道,「人類不再有時間去弄懂任何事情了。他們去商店購買現成的東西,但是世界上沒有任何商店可以購買到友誼,所以人類也不再有朋友了。如果你想交朋友,那就馴養我吧...」
「What must I do, to tame you?」 asked the little prince.
「要馴養你,我該做些什麼呢?」小王子問。
「You must be very patient,」 replied the fox. 「First you will sit down at a little distance from me - like that - in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstanding. But you will sit a little closer to me, every day.」
「你必須非常有耐心,」會理回答說,「首先,你要坐得理我遠一點-就像那樣-坐在草地上。我會從眼角斜視你,而你什麼也不用說。語言是誤解的根源。但是你要每天都向我靠近一點。」
單詞解析
1. propose [pr』puz] v. 提議、建議
proposal n. 提議、建議
2. tame [teim] adj. 馴服的、平淡的/v. 馴化、馴服
3. disturbing [di’st:bi] adj. 令人不安的、令人煩惱的
disturbed adj. 感到不安的、感到煩惱的
4. neglect [ni』glekt] v. 忽視、忽略
neglected adj. 被忽略的、被忽視的
5. establish [i’stbli] v. 建立、創立、確定 establish contact with 與...建立聯繫
6. unique [ju:』ni:k] adj. 唯一的、獨一無二的
7. perplexed [p』plekst] adj. 困惑的、迷惑不解的
perplex v. 使迷惑、使混亂
8. monotonous [m』ntns] adj. 單調乏味的
9. consequence [『knsikwns] n. 救過、後果
10. burrow [『bru] n. (動物的)洞穴、地道
11. misunderstanding [misund’stndi] n. 誤解、誤會