Narrator: Hello. It's time for English at University
- the series that teaches some English phrases to help you through your first year of study abroad. . .
大家好,又到了「校園英語」時間 —— 這個系列會教給你一些國外留學第一年用得上的實用英語句型。
There's a lot to learn when you start studying for a degree and especially when you're doing it in another country.
Mary's coping very well and is making the most of every opportunity to get guidance or help her with her studies.
當你開始本科學習的時候,需要學很多東西,特別是你在國外上大學更是如此。瑪麗做得很不錯,而且也抓住了大部分可以得到別人指導或者幫助她學習的機會。
Today she's attending Professor Not's study skills workshop but it sounds like she knows more about studying than he does!
Prof. Not: So let's just stand around in a circle… hold hands and say mmmmm.
今天她去參加了納特教授關於學習技巧的講座,但是聽起來瑪麗在學習方面比納特教授懂得還要多!那麼讓我們圍坐成一個圓圈……握住彼此的手,然後發出哼鳴。
Daniel: How exactly is this helping?
Prof. Not: Trust you to spoil the karma.
這到底有什麼用?就知道你會打斷這個過程。
It just helps us think… Daniel: Think of what to say, you mean.
這會幫助我們思考……考慮接下來要說什麼,你的意思是。
Prof. Not: Now to study well, you need to be in the right zone. Mary: Zone?
為了學好習,你需要進入一種正確的狀態。狀態?
Prof. Not: In the right place… in your head. Sharon…
是在你頭腦裡的……一個正確的位置。莎倫……
Sharon: Yes Robert - I mean, Professor. Prof. Not: Could you hand out the blindfolds?
在呢,羅伯特——我是說教授。你能分發一下那些眼罩嗎?
Mary: And how are they going to help? Narrator: A good question Mary.
眼罩又有什麼用?好問題,瑪麗。
I admire Professor Not's enthusiasm but let me give you a bit of advice – his study skills are a bit 'alternative' - different. Have you got any advice to offer?
我認可納特教授的熱情,但是我的建議是——他的學習方法有點兒特別——不太一樣。你有什麼好建議嗎?
Mary: Well, I did read a book about good study skills on the plane. But what do I say?
我在飛機上讀了一本關於良好學習技巧的書。但是我要怎麼說呢?
Narrator: Say 'could I offer some suggestions? ' Or 'from what I understand… '
說:「我能提點建議嗎?」或者「從我的角度理解……」
Or maybe, 'something that works for me is… ' and give them your tips – that way you won't sound too big-headed – like someone we know!
Daniel: Maybe we could just hold the hand of the person next to us?
再或者是說「對我比較有效的方法是……」,然後給出你的建議——這樣聽起來沒有那麼充大頭——像某個人一樣!我們是不是可以牽起旁邊人的手?
Narrator: Go on Mary. Mary: No Daniel… maybe I could offer some suggestions?
說吧,瑪麗。不,丹尼爾……我能提點建議嗎?
Sharon: Oh yes Mary! Mary: Well, from what I understand… you must study every day and choose a regular place and time to do it.
哦,可以的,瑪麗!從我的角度來看……你必須每天學習而且要有一個規律的地點和時間學習。
Prof. Not: Yes of course, very good Mary. Anything else?
沒錯,非常好,瑪麗。還有什麼嗎?
Mary: Well… what works for me is planning my time and deciding what I want to achieve and not being afraid to ask for help.
Daniel: Yeah, yeah. I was going to say that – and make sure you take lots of breaks – long ones.
對我比較有效的方法是計劃好自己的時間,並且要確定好目標,還有不要害怕請求幫助。對對,我也想這麼說來著——還要保證你經常休息——那種長時間的休息。
Mary: Short ones – and develop a good learning style – choose a method that helps you learn best.
Prof. Not: Excellent Mary.
短時間的——還要培養良好的學習方式——找一種最適合你的方法。非常棒,瑪麗。
That's exactly right.
Sharon: Oh, I preferred the blindfold method.
正是這樣的。哦,我還是喜歡眼罩法。
. . . . . . Narrator: Excellent indeed Mary. She's on fire!
確實很棒,瑪麗。她真的太贊了!她開口說了出來,提了一些很聰明的建議,還不讓人覺得她在炫耀。
She spoke up and gave some sage advice without showing off.
Here's a reminder of how she started the conversation…
來回顧一下她是如何開始這段談話的……我可以提點建議嗎?
Maybe I could offer some suggestions? From what I understand…
從我的角度理解……對我比較有效的方法是……
What works for me is… And she gave some good advice which the other students – especially Daniel - will no doubt find very useful, such as…
她給其他學生提了一些好建議——特別是丹尼爾——毫無疑問都很有效,比如說……你需要每天都學習。
You must study every day. Choose a place and time to do it.
選一個地點、時間去學習。計劃好時間,確定好目標。
Plan your time and decide what you want to achieve. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
別害怕找別人幫忙。選一種最適合你的學習方式。
Choose a learning style that helps you learn best.?With that advice you can't go wrong.
有了這些建議,你不會出錯的。現在看起來瑪麗的學習建議給某人留下了深刻印象……
And now it looks like Mary's study advice has made a real impression on someone… Tech Student: Wow Mary.
哇哦,瑪麗。我非常喜歡你剛才說的——特別有用——看得出來你是一個特別用功的學生——要不要找個時間聚一下……對比一下學習筆記?
I loved what you said in there – really useful – I can see you're a committed student – how about getting together sometime and… comparing study notes?
- Mary: Well, errr, ermm… - Daniel: I think she's quite busy at the moment.
- 瑪麗:這個……額,嗯…… - 丹尼爾:我覺得她現在很忙的。不,不會的——那肯定很棒。
Mary: No, I'm not – that would be lovely.
Let's meet up in the bar later.
一會兒酒吧見吧。
Sharon: Oh!
哦!