Well hey there I'm Emma from mmmEnglish!
These little but very common words can cause English learners quite a few headaches.
大家好啊,我是Emma,歡迎來到Emma的美味英語!
這些看起來微不足道,但是又非常常見的單詞可是會讓許多英語學習者很頭疼的呢。
They're very similar in meaning but they're not used in the same way.
It's easy to confuse them!
它們意思非常接近,但是使用方式卻不相同。
很容易就把它們給搞混了!
So this lesson is going to be short and sweet but we are going to get to the bottom of this.
Confusing the words 'good' and 'well' is a really common English error.
所以本節課程非常地簡單明了,但是我們要直達問題的根源。
把『good』和『well』搞混是一個非常常見的英語錯誤。
Now there are some clear rules that can help you to use them correctly but there are also some exceptions to the rules which probably leave you feeling a little bit confused.
The most helpful thing to keep in mind is that 'good' is an adjective and 'well' is an adverb.
有一些明確的規則可以幫助你們正確使用這些單詞,但是規則之外也有例外,這可能會讓你們感覺到有點點疑惑。
需要記住的最有用的事情就是『good』是形容詞,『well』是副詞。
They're two different parts of speech.
A quick reminder. Adjectives can modify nouns or tell us more information about a noun.
它們屬於不同的詞類。
小提示。形容詞可以修飾名詞,或者是告訴我們更多關於某個名詞的信息。
So 'good' modifies a noun. Something can be good.
所以『good』修飾一個名詞。某件事情可能很好。
A good kid, a good afternoon, a good night's sleep. All of these things.
好孩子,美好的下午,一夜好夢。諸如此類。
Now as an adverb, 'well' modifies a verb. An action can be done well, right?
而作為一個副詞呢,『well』修飾動詞。某個行為可能做得很好,對嗎?
She swims well for her age. We have eaten well.
就她這個年級而言,她遊得很好。我們吃的很好。
In both these examples, 'well' is modifying the verb.
Now, nine times out of ten, most of the time, the question you need to ask yourself is: Am I modifying a noun or an action?
在這些例子中,『well』修飾的是動詞。
好的,十之八九,通常情況下你需要問自己的問題是:我是在修飾一個名詞還是一個動作呢?
And this will help you to make the correct choice between 'good' and 'well'. Sweet!
而這能夠幫助你在『good』和『well』之間做出正確的判斷。很棒!
But now I have to mention a significant exception to this rule that 'good' is the adjective and 'well' is the adverb because when you're talking about health, the quality of someone's health, 'well' can be used as an adjective too.
So if someone is well, it means they're healthy.
但是現在呢,我不得不提一下一個非常重要的例外,那就是雖然『good』是形容詞,『well』是副詞,但是當你討論健康的時候,也就是某個人的健康質量的時候,『well』也可以當形容詞使用。
所以如果某個人很好的話,意思就是他們很健康。
My brother is safe and well. Is your mother well enough to travel?
我的弟弟非常健康。你的母親的身體狀況可以去旅遊嗎?
All good? 'Well' can be an adjective when you're talking about health.
懂了嗎?當討論健康的時候,『well』可以作為形容詞使用。
Okay are you ready for another exception?
We can actually use 'good' with some non-action verbs like: be, look, seem and feel.
好的,你準備好迎接下一個例外了嗎?
我們可以用『good』和一些非行為動詞連用,比如說:是,看起來,看起來和感受。
These are stative verbs. So we do that when we're connecting a subject to an adjective.
這些都是狀態動詞。當我們將主語和形容詞聯繫的時候,我們就會這麼做。
We can say: don't worry, everything is good. Everything is good.
我們可以說:不要擔心,一切都會好起來的。一切都會好起來的。
This book is good. The children are good.
這本書很好。孩子們很好。
Right? I feel good today!
懂了嗎?我今天感覺不錯!
The new office seems good. The hotel you're staying in looks so good!
新辦公室看起來很好。你住的酒店看起來很好!
Right? So here we can use 'good' with a non-action verb.
對吧?我們可以將『good』和非行為動詞連用。
The last little exception or rule to remember is that 'good' can be used with the verb 'do' when 'good' is a noun, when you're talking about morally correct behaviour. Some people volunteer to do good within their local community.
最後一個例外,或者是需要記住的規則是,當你在談論道德上的正確行為的時候,『good』可以和動詞『do』一起使用,『good』在這裡是個名詞。
有些人在當地社區做志願活動來幫助他人。
They help others. This is to do good.
Now word order is really important to get these words right in your sentence because they're different types of words, they are treated differently in our sentence.
他們幫助其他人。這就是做善事。
要讓你的句子中的詞彙使用正確,詞彙的順序非常重要,因為它們是不同類型的單詞,它們在句子中的地位也不同。
It's a really common mistake to say: Sarah plays well football. The adverb doesn't usually go between the verb and the object. It goes after the object.
一個常見的錯誤就是說:薩拉足球踢得很好。
副詞通常不會出現在動詞和賓語之間。它一般都是在賓語之後。
Right? It's something to keep in mind. Sarah plays football well.
是吧?這需要牢記在腦海之中哦。薩拉足球踢得很好。
All right, you know that I like to make my lessons practical for you so that you can practise what you've learned during the lesson.
So are you ready to try it out?
好的,大家都知道我想讓我的課程對大家而言非常實用,所以大家可以練習在本節課程中學到的東西。準備好一試了嗎?
First sentence. You speak English good.
第一個句子。你的英語說得很好。
Is it correct? You speak English well.
對了嗎?你的英語說得很好。
Because we are modifying the verb 'speak' here in this sentence.
What about: Your English is well.
因為在這個句子中,我們在修飾動詞『說』。那麼這句話:你的英語很好。
Is that right? This word is an adjective.
對了嗎?這個單詞是形容詞。
We know because we can see the subject followed by the verb 'be' so I guess we could use 'well' as an adjective, right?
But English is a thing not a person so it doesn't make sense to say that English is in good health.
我們知道,是因為我們可以看到主語後面跟著動詞『be』,所以我猜應該使用『well』作為一個形容詞,對嗎?
但是英語是個事物,不是個人,所以說英語的健康狀況很好並不能說得通。
We need to use 'good' here. Your English is good.
在這裡我們需要使用『good』。你的英語很好。
Let's try another. I want you to fill in the gaps.
讓我們試一下另一個吧。我希望大家進行填空。
I'm having a —— day. Can you guess the correct word here?
我的一天很——。你能猜到這裡正確的單詞是什麼嗎?
The adjective or the adverb? Good! We are modifying the noun 'day': I'm having a good day.
形容詞還是副詞呢?很棒!我們修飾的是名詞『天』。我過得很開心。
But I want you to write a similar sentence with the adverb 'well', right?
Write it in the comments now.
但我希望大家用副詞『well』來仿造一個類似的句子,可以嗎?現在就把它寫在評論區吧。
You might need to change the verb in that sentence to help you. My day is going well.
你可能需要改變一下句子裡的動詞來幫助你。我過得很開心。
Now the adverb is modifying the verb, right?
Good job! Did he do something on his exam?
現在副詞修飾的是動詞,對吧?
不錯不錯!他考試表現怎麼樣?
Well. We're modifying the verb 'do' here. This rain is something for the garden.
在這裡我們修飾的是動詞『do』。雨對花園很——。
Good! Her job isn't something for her health.
很好!他的工作對健康不——。
Careful! The word that goes in this space is 'good'.
Just because we're talking about health in the sentence, doesn't mean we need to use 'well'.
要小心哦!這次要填上的單詞是『good』。
只是因為我們在這個句子裡討論的是健康,並不意味著我們需要使用『well』。
You spoke —— at the conference. 'good' or 'well'?
你在會議上講得很——。『good』還是『well』呢?
You spoke well. I saw Jeremy last night. He looked——.
你講得很好。我昨天晚上看到傑瑞米了,他看起來很——。
Well here we could actually use the adjective 'good' or the adjective 'well'. Both are possible but the meaning is different, right?
很好,這裡我們其實可以使用形容詞『good』或者是副詞『well』。
這兩個都是可以的,但是意思不同,對吧?
Think about the difference in the meaning.
'Well' means that he looked healthy.
思考一下,它們的意思有什麼不同。
『well』的意思是他看起來很健康。
'Good' means that he was pleasant to look at—handsome! What about if I said: how are you?
『good』的意思是他看起來長得不錯——很帥!那如果我說:你好嗎?
How would you answer that question? Would you say: I am good. Or I am well.
你會怎麼回答這個問題呢?你會說:我很好。或者是:我挺好的。
It depends! Again, you could say either.
看情況!同樣的,這兩種都可以說。
You could use either adjective but the meaning is slightly different.
I want to finish up today's lesson with a fixed expression that seems to challenge these rules a little.
你可以使用任何一個形容詞,但是意思有一點不同。
我想以一個固定的表達來結束今天的課程,它看起來好像是對這些規則的挑戰。
This one. To get someone good, which means to trick someone or to fool them so anyone who tricked their friend on April Fool's Day can say:
這個。這個短語的意思是捉弄某人,或者是讓他們難看,所以在愚人節捉弄他們的朋友的人可以說:
I really got him good, which means you tricked him.
I also want to mention before we finish, that in informal spoken English, you'll hear native English speakers bending the rules a little.
我真的戲弄了他,意思是你捉弄了他。
在我們結束之前,我也想說一下在非正式英語口語中,你可以聽到英語母語者可能並不會那麼嚴格地遵守規則。
You'll hear them use 'good' as an adverb. How's Tony going?
你會聽到他們將『good』用作形容詞。託尼怎麼樣?
He's going good. Now this is not actually grammatically correct but it's reasonably common and I really recommend that for you guys, you stick to the rules.
他很好。這在語法上並不正確,但是卻非常常見,但是我還是建議大家遵守這些規則。
Play by the rules, especially if you are studying English to sit an exam.
So in that sense, this is incorrect but you'll hear it all the time.
要遵守遊戲規則,尤其是你正在為了參加考試而學習英語。
所以就那而言是不正確的,但是你會總是聽到它。
So that's it for today's lesson, I told you it was going to be short and sweet. And I hope it was helpful as well.
本節課程內容就這麼多啦,我告訴過大家它會簡明扼要的。希望這節課程也非常有用。
There are lots of pairs of words like this in English, words that have similar meanings but they're used differently in sentences.
Can you think of any others?
英語中有很多類似的單詞對,它們的意思相近,但是在句子中的使用方式不同。
你能想到其他的嗎?
If you want me to make a lesson about any more of these pairs of words, then make sure you tell me about it in the comments.
Tell me what pairs of words you want me to make a lesson about.
如果你們想讓我做其他的單詞對的課程的話,記得一定要在評論區告訴我哦。
告訴我你們想讓我為哪對單詞專門做節課程。
Please do subscribe to the channel so that I can keep you up-to-date with all of my new lessons.
And if you've got any special requests for future lessons then make sure you let me know in the comments below.
一定要訂閱我的頻道,這樣我就可以讓大家知道我所有的新課程的信息啦。
如果你對於後面的課程有什麼特殊要求的話,記住要在評論區告訴我哦。
And once you do that then come and find me in one of these two lessons here. I'll see you in there!
如果大家這麼做了的話,那就在這兩節課程中的其中一節來找我吧。
再見!