以下內容來自BBC英語
大家可以反覆聽語音,習慣這種速度,就當成是練聽力哦!
(至少聽5遍!5遍! 每天養成習慣!)
Welcome to The English We Speak with me, Rob.
歡迎和我一起來到今天的地道英語,我是羅布。
And me Feifei. So how did your interview go?
我是菲菲。你的面試進行得怎麼樣?
You know, quite good… ok… well not bad.
你知道的,非常好…好吧…還不錯吧。
So did you get the promotion?
所以你升職了嗎?
Well… no. I didn’t… it was a bit of a slap in the face actually.
好吧…沒有。我沒有…實際上這有些像是一記耳光。
A slap in the face? Did they hit you?!
一記耳光?他們打你了?!
No, no, no. I mean not getting the job is a bit of an insult – You know I was the right man for the job – look at all my qualifications and experience.
不,不,不。我的意思是沒得到這份工作有些像是受到侮辱——對於這份工作,我才是合適的人選,看看我全部的任職資格和工作經驗。
Oh dear. You sound quite offended Rob.
噢親愛的。你聽上去有些被冒犯了呀,羅布。
That’s what 』a slap in the face』 means – it’s an action that can be seen as an insult or cause offence.It can also cause disappointment because you were expecting a more positive outcome.
這就是「一記耳光」的含義,就是可以被視為一種侮辱或是冒犯的行為。它也可以讓人失望,因為你本來期盼著一個更好的結果。
Like getting that promotion?
比如獲得晉升?
Exactly.Here are some more examples…
完全正確。這裡還有幾個例子…
After all the extra work we put in,it was a slap in the face not to win the contract.
在我們投入了所有的加班之後,沒有贏得這項合同對我們來說簡直就是一記耳光。
Not being invited on his stag do, was a real slap in the face –I thought I was his best friend!
沒有得到他的晚會邀請,對於我來說真的是一記耳光,我還以為我是他最好的朋友!
So 』a slap in the face』 is an insult – or an action that causes offence or disappointment. It’s not actually a physical slap in the face?
所以「一記耳光」是一種侮辱,或是冒犯他人的行為或引起他人失望的舉動。並不是真的在臉上扇一耳光對吧?
That’s right.
對。
So what are you going to do about getting a promotion?
那對於升職這件事,你打算怎麼做呢?
Well to be honest, Feifei, it wasn’t much of a promotion anyway –it was quite a boring job role and no more money – an idiot could have done it –I think you would have been good at it……ow, what was that?
說實話,菲菲,這其實並不是多大的晉升,這實在是個很無聊的工作崗位,工資也沒有漲,傻瓜才做呢,我覺得你就很適合這份工作……哎呦,那是幹嘛?
That’s a real slap in the face!
這是一記真正的耳光!
Was it something I said?
是不是我說了些什麼不該說的話?
更多內容,點擊左下角閱讀全文哦 !