英語中存在太多的形似甚至是音同但意思卻完全不同的單詞,如 effect 和 affect,bare 和 bear,advice 和 advise 等等,compliment 和 complement 在看錯的情況下是一樣的,它們的相似度堪比雙胞胎,然而它們的意思卻完全不一樣。
compliment 作名詞時意為」讚揚;稱讚;致意;問候;祝賀「,例如:
It's a great compliment to be asked to do the job.
獲聘請做這項工作是一項極大的榮譽。
I take it as a compliment when people say I look like my mother.
當人們說我長得像我母親時,我把它當作是一種恭維。
Are you trying to get compliments?
你想得到別人的稱讚嗎?
Please accept these flowers with the compliments of the manager.
請接受經理送的鮮花。
compliment 作動詞時,意為」讚美;稱讚;欽佩「,通常跟介詞 on 連用,例如:
I was just complimenting Robert on his wonderful food.
我只是在稱讚羅伯特的美食。
I have to compliment you on your handling of a very difficult situation.
我不得不稱讚你處理了一個非常困難的局面。
而 complement 的意思完全不同,它也是既可以作名詞,也可以作動詞,例如:
complement 作名詞,意為」補充物;足數;補語「,例如:
Political knowledge is a necessary complement to science in approaching solutions to these problems.
在尋找解決這些問題的方法時,需要有政治知識作為對科學知識的補充。
解析:complement 意為」補充物「時,後面通常跟介詞 to 連用。
We've taken our full complement of trainees this year.
我們今年接收的實習生已滿員。
We had a full complement of reporters and photographers along.
我們身邊有很多記者和攝影師。
解析:想詢問別人人手夠不夠時,可以這樣表達:Do you have your full complement of men?
complement 作動詞,意為」補充;;使完美;使更具吸引力;相得益彰「,例如:
She used photographs to complement the text of the news story.
她用照片補充新聞報導的內容。
Strawberries and cream complement each other perfectly.
草莓和奶油相得益彰。
The music complements her voice perfectly.
這音樂與她的聲音相得益彰。