fill me in直譯就是「把我加滿」的意思,但是很顯然這樣理解是不妥的。事實上,fill me in在這裡表示「將最新發展(或我錯過的一切)通通告訴我」。
例如:
Pete, could you fill me inon what happened at Eva's party?
你能告訴我在伊娃家的宴會上發生了什麼事嗎?彼特。
Fill me inabout the big fuss in this shop.
給我講講關於這家店裡的事兒。
下面我們一起來看看老外聊天都怎麼用!
A:Too bad you couldn't be at the party!You missed so much.
你沒能來參加派對真是可惜!你錯過了好多事。
B:Realy?Fill me in!
真的?快點告訴我!
A:There was a huge fight going on between the football players and the cheerleaders,and Jessie poured a drink on Tyler's face.
足球員們跟啦啦隊隊員們大吵一架,傑茜還把飲料倒在了泰勒臉上。
B:But aren't the two of them dating?
可是他們兩個不是一對嗎?
A:That's what makes it so exciting!
所以才刺激啊!
B:So what happened after that?
那後來發生了什麼事?
A:Danny got drunk and tripped in front of the door.
丹尼喝醉了,在門口摔了一個狗吃屎。
B:Uh,that was an unexpected turn of events.
呃,這可真是意料之外的發展。
另外,短語fill in常用於填表格表單的時候,這個我相信身經百戰的童鞋們都知道。例如:
Fill in all the blanks on the exam sheet.
把考卷上所有的空格都填滿。
You need to fill in this chart before the doctor can see you.
在醫生幫你看診之前,你得先填完這個表格。