#英語豐富多彩的習語#
習語 drag feet 或 drag heels 的字面意思是「拖腳」或「拖腳後跟」,可想而知它比喻有的人做事情故意耽擱,可以意為「故意拖延,拖拖拉拉」,拖誰的腿就用誰對應的形容詞性物主代詞,例如:
本意:
Please stop dragging your feet, you're going to wear out the soles of your shoes.
請別再拖著你的腳,你的鞋底會磨壞的。
寓意:
act reluctantly or without enthusiasm
不情願地或沒有熱情地行動
to do something slowly because you do not want to do it
因為你不想做某事而慢慢地做
postpone doing what one should be doing
推遲做該做的事
act or work with intentional slowness, deliberately hold back or delay
故意緩慢地或拖延地行動或工作
例如:
It is not a good idea to drag your feet when the work needs to be done.
拖延工作是不好的。
I suspect the government is dragging its heels over this issue.
我懷疑政府在這個問題上拖後腿。
We don't want to look as if we're dragging our heels over promoting women to senior positions.
我們不想讓人覺得我們在把女性提升到高級職位上拖後腿。
We can't be late for the dentist, so quit dragging your feet and get in the car!
看牙醫我們不能遲到,所以別拖拖拉拉了,上車吧!
The government has been dragging its feet in bringing up a bill in the Parliament on land acquisition.
政府在向議會提出一項關於土地徵用的法案時一直拖拖拉拉。
I have been dragging my feet about filing my taxes.
我一直在拖延報稅。
When they told us they wanted to put computers in our classrooms, we dragged our heels a little bit.
當他們告訴我們要在教室裡安裝電腦時,我們有點猶豫不決。
時間是不可再生資源,做事情我們不要拖拖拉拉,浪費寶貴的時間,而要爭分奪秒,充分利用時間。