Hello, this is The English We Speak, with me Feifei…
大家好!這裡是地道英語,我是菲菲...
[singing badly] And me Rob. Hello!
(唱得很難聽) 我是羅伯。大家好!
Err Rob, what is that terrible noise?
額,羅伯,那難聽的噪音是什麼?
Noise? This is my best singing voice - I need it for my new job.
噪音?這是我最好聽的歌聲-我新工作需要這樣的歌聲。
You didn’t tell me you were leaving the BBC and going to a new job.
你並沒有告訴我你要離開BBC,去找新工作了啊。
I’m not - I』ve got a new part-time job in the evenings to earn a bit of extra cash [tries singing again].
沒有-我只是找到一個晚上的新兼職去賺點兒外快(又嘗試著唱歌)
Hmm - and this second job involves singing, does it?
額-這個兼職包括唱歌,是嗎?
Yes, that’s right. I’m going to be a cabaret singer in a nightclub. Good news, isn’t it?
是的。我馬上要在酒吧做名夜場歌手。是個好消息吧?
Well, Rob, don’t give up the day job!
好吧,羅伯,不要做白日夢了!
Oh - that’s an expression which means someone’s not very good at doing something and isn’t likely ever to be successful at doing it.
奧,這是個短語表達,意思是不要做自己不擅長的事情,很難成功的。
Yes - but it’s used in a humorous and light-hearted way Rob. Sorry, I was trying to be nice.
是的-但它是幽默和輕鬆的表達方式。不好意思,我本想和善。
OK. Well, I think we』d better hear some examples of this phrase in action while I continue to practice my singing [starts singing again].
OK.我想我們最好看一些實用的例子,我也繼續練習下我的歌聲(再一次開始唱歌)。
Oh,no.
奧,不要唱了!
I wouldn’t give up the day job - you’re never going to be an actor!
別做白日夢了-你不可能成為一名演員!
Do you really want to be a writer? I』ve read your first book and my advice is "don『t give up the day job"!
你真的想成為一名作家嗎?我讀過你的第一本書,我的建議是:不要白日做夢了!
Don’t give up the day job Pete - you’re never going to earn a living as a singer!
皮特,不要白日做夢了-你不可能靠唱歌來養活你的!
So "don『t give up the day job" means you should continue doing your normal job, rather than trying to turn your hobby into a career. So Rob, have you got the message?
所以說, "don’t give up the day job"的意思是你應該繼續你的本職工作,而不是試圖把你的業餘愛好轉為你的職業。所以,羅伯,你明白這個意思了吧?
Oh yes, I should stick to what I’m good at - so I』ll concentrate on doing the day job shall I?
恩,明白,我應該繼續做我擅長的工作-所以我現在全神貫注做這個工作,好嗎?
Yes, good idea.
好的,好主意。
OK, so why we don’t we sing together and entertain our listeners [starts singing]?!
OK,那我們可以一起唱歌啊,讓我們的聽眾也開心一下(開始唱)?!
Oh Rob, perhaps you should give up the day job as well.
奧,羅伯,或許你應該把你擅長的工作也放棄。
Oh thanks.
哈哈,謝謝!
Bye!
拜拜!