#英語豐富多彩的習語#
形容一個人自吹自擂或吹牛,可以用 brag about sth,talk big 或 show off 等等,例如:
She was bragging about her golf game.
她在吹噓她的高爾夫球技。
要表達向某人吹噓,在 brag 後面加 to sb,例如:
He bragged to his friends about the crime.
他向朋友炫耀他的罪行。
We dislike those who talk big and do nothing.
我們不喜歡那種誇誇其談,不幹實事的人。
He's always showing off to his classmates.
他總是向同學炫耀。
習語 blow your own trumpet 的字面意思」吹自己的小喇叭「,那麼它的比喻意義就很明顯,可以意為」自吹自擂,自賣自誇,大言不慚「,寓意:
to say things that makes your own self or kin look good
說些能讓你自己或家人看起來不錯的話
to exaggerate the good qualities of your own self
誇大自己的優點
to speak highly about own work
高度評價自己的工作
to show off
炫耀
例如:
The crew tried to blow their own trumpet but the manager did not buy their story.
船員們試圖自吹自擂,但經理不相信他們的說法。
解析:在非正式場合,要表達同意某人所說的,可以說:I buy that/it.
I hate people who are always blowing their own trumpet.
我討厭總是自吹自擂的人。
解析:此句是 who 引導的限制性定語從句,修飾先行詞 people.
You have to be humble in your behaviour and for that, the first thing to do is to stop blowing your own trumpet.
你必須舉止謙虛,那麼首先要做的是停止自吹自擂。
I don't think blowing your own trumpet will get you this job.
我認為自吹自擂不會使你得到這份工作。
解析:動名詞短語 blowing your own trumpet 作主語。
She got into the political party just by blowing her own trumpet. She is not capable of running it.
她自吹自擂就進入了政黨。她沒有能力運行它。
Do you mind not blowing your own trumpet all the time?
你不介意一直自吹自擂嗎?
言多必失,人要高調做事,低調做人,就像 actions speak louder than words 和 a man of action 所描述的那樣,自吹自擂的人,早晚都要撐死自己。