接著上期,今天繼續學習Joanna為你精選的美劇英語口語 ~
1. Seeing you must have tipped him off.
看來上次打草驚蛇了
tip本身帶有「告誡,提示,秘密消息,內部情報」意思。tip (sb) off 指「給…通風報信,暗中告知」
If someone tips you off, they give you information about something that has happened or is going to happen.
Greg tipped police off on his car phone about a suspect drunk driver.
格雷格用他的汽車電話向警方報告了一個有酒後駕駛嫌疑的司機。
He was arrested two days later after a friend tipped off the FBI.
他的一個朋友給美國聯邦調查局報了信兩天以後他就被捕了。
2. How many times are you gonna screw up your life for this girl?
你打算為這個女孩跌倒幾次才夠?
screw本身指「擰緊,壓榨,把揉成一團」,而screw up指「弄糟,搞砸,毀壞,強迫」
To screw something up, or to screw up, means to cause something to fail or be spoiled.
Get out. Haven't you screwed things up enough already!
滾出去,事情給你搞得還不夠糟啊!
Anything that can screw up will!
所有會弄糟的事情都會弄糟!
3. You're about to blow it.
你卻要搞砸它
表示「搞砸」的另一種魔術詞blow, 基本義是「吹(風)」,在口語中還可引申為「失去,斷送(機會),搞砸(努力)」
If you blow a chance or attempt to do something, you make a mistake which wastes the chance or causes the attempt to fail.
He has almost certainly blown his chance of touring India this winter.
他幾乎肯定失去了今冬去印度旅行的機會。
One careless word could blow a whole deal in the high-risk world of real estate.
一字不慎就可能會斷送整筆交易的高風險的房地產業。
4. How did you pull it off?
你怎麼找到的啊?
pull off 除了用作常見的「脫去(外套)」,在這裡是「努力實現,贏得,成功完成,做成(困難的事情)」
She used every trick in the book to pull off the deal.
她使出各種絕招來做成這筆生意。
I'm sure you will pull off the competition.
我肯定你會贏得這場比賽的勝利。
5. We throw a party.
我們開個派對吧
非常地道的口語表達。「開」派對不用 have, hold或arrange動詞,而是用'throw"
throw a party 可以指「舉行派對,晚宴,宴會,酒會」
I want to throw a dinner party.
我想舉辦一個晚宴。
Tom and I are going to throw a party to celebrate on Saturday afternoon.
我和湯姆準備在這個禮拜六下午舉行一個派對慶祝。